“great room & location, some small annoyances (no wifi)”

Central Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #47 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
United States
“great room & location, some small annoyances (no wifi)”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

it's true the staff was pretty cold & basically ignored me when i was next in-line to check in, as if they didn't want to be bothered. i'm not even that friendly, so my standards of friendliness are not very high.

BUT the location was great. close to the most useful subway line & the central tourist areas. the room was really beautiful & spacious & a great price. the bathroom was huge, had a separate bath & shower.

i found it annoying that there was no WIFI, only wired internet -- normally not a problem, since i travel with my own long ethernet cable -- but their short ethernet cable is attached to the wall & cannot be unplugged. so you can only use internet at the desk, and only with an ethernet-enabled laptop. if you have an ipad or something, forget it. also the power plug by the bed didn't work. air conditioner was good but didn't seem to turn off when it got cold. i would prefer it be cold than hot though. shower temperature was difficult to adjust -- either or hot or cold, not much in between.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments referring to your stay at the Central Hotel Shanghai. We very appreciate your feedback and it does help us to further improve our product and services. We sincerely apologize for the WIFI problem, but we are pleased to tell you that WIFI has been covered in all our guestrooms and public areas. We hope to serve you again on your next visit to Shanghai.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 27, 2013

First of all the location couldn't be better. Short walking distance to most of the cities attractions. My room was spotless, spacious with a lovely view. Bathrooms are superior having both tubs and separate showers. I found the staff patient and helpful. Breakfast room was pleasant and the offerings were good. The size hotel was ideal for me....not too big but big enough to offer all the amenities one might want. Their sister hotel across the street is also good but a bit too large for my tastes. I am looking for a similar hotel in Beijing. I stayed for 4 nights. My daughter was there for 4 weeks on a school study tour. I booked my room there because she was already there. Thought I would change if I didn't like it...turned out that I loved this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pat S
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at the Central Hotel Shanghai. We appreciate your high esteem of hotel location, room and service. We hope to serve you again on your next trip to Shanghai.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am a budget conscience traveller and was extremely satisfied with this hotel. I would say the best value hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms have been recently renovated and look fantastic and very clean. Front desk speak English. Separate shower (not over bath). Excellent Housekeeping. Close to all the main attractions. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite (I stayed in room ##01)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wally S
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for staying at the Central Hotel Shanghai. We are delighted that the hotel met with your expectations. We hope to serve you again on your next visit to Shanghai.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel was the best we stayed at in China. very good location... easy to access everywhere...very helpful and professional staff...affordable and good service.
I impressed by provessional behaviour of front desk staff which made me to stay more nights in this hotel. I really enjoyed my holiday in Shanghai.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gity m
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your nice review. We are delighted that the hotel met with your expectations. We hope to serve you again on your next visit to Shanghai.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice now and will always be my first choice when I return to Shanghai.
Great location,very spacious rooms and very helpful staff.
I arrived tow hours before check in time because of my Train time but was surprised to be informed that my room had been cleaned and was ready for me.
Nothing was a problem to the staff here and they spoke very good English.
Another Great stay !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for staying at the Central Hotel Shanghai once again. We are delighted that the hotel met with your expectations. We hope to serve you again on your next visit to Shanghai.
pune
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Well located near Bund, pedestrian walkway and with spacious rooms overlooking the street. Internet was fast and free but strange thing was while there wasa limited amount of black and green tea in the room, there was no coffee or creamer. Bathroom was really slippery and should be taken care of. Just a warning is not enough.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sahibbibi
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us what you enjoyed most about your visit. We’re very pleased that hotel location and room met with your expectations. We have noted your comments on the issues of the amount of black and green tea in the room and bathroom, and we’ll bring these comments to the related department head immediately. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future and to showing you the improvement that we have made.
Torquay, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Staff very helpful and courteous. Stayed four days in twin room which was a good size with excellent amenities. Hotel located very near Nanjing Road, the main shopping street and
pedestrian mall. Also within walking distance to the Bund. Very pleasant stay overall.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rita T
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.