“Great Hotel”

Ranked #47 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is a great hotel to stay in for business. Centrally located with easy access to the business areas. A tropical storm hit during my stay but the hotel maintained full customer service and had a large supply of umbrellas which they gave to guests as they headed outside.

Very good gym and nice rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank bilbo57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed January 20, 2013

What a lovely location of the hotel, bang on the Nianjing Lu Road where you find all the shopping, Yu Garden is 1.5kms and The Bund is 1km. The location is such there won't be any difficulty in finding international food. The room is well planned and the staff isvery helpful. Breakfast options are also enough. Good for business, tourism or family visits.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank SumitaBajaj
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at the Central Hotel in late December. We arrived a little after midnight and were gone by 9:30 am, so our review is based on a very limited time.

Even though we arrived very late, there were sufficient staff to check us in and show us to our room. This was not one of the new glass palaces so we didn't expect much. We were surprised at the size of the main floor, the marble, etc. We thought we were checking into a Hilton or equivalent. The room was somewhat larger than average, and the bathroom was large with both a tub and shower and well equipped. The beds were comfortable. We didn't check the window. In the morning we went down for breakfast and were somewhat surprised at the amount of offerings. It was quite a good breakfast. There is a machine in the lobby for changing money, e.g. USD into Chinese CNY, but we could have used an ATM. We can't say anything about the location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Enjoyed 4 great nights at this hotel. Clean and definitely meets the 4 star rating of an international standard. Only drawback but was rectified very quickly was the need for a RMB 3000.00 deposit at check-in for each day of stay. After discussion with manager on site, requirement for the deposit was removed. Concierge staff were very helpful and tried their best to understand my needs. When I return to Shanghai, I will definitely look at staying at this hotel again. two great features was the breakfast and the free wi-fi. Location was perfect as centrally located.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Tehran, Iran
Reviewed December 28, 2012

good location and good rooms but breakfast is not so good , pool is in other hotel other side of street , not so big pool , but clean, i like hotel at all , u can find everything just 2 minutes walk from hotel , i go fo business trip anyone can find hotel easy

Room Tip: all sides are good
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed there 4 days , very good designed room, good house keeping. Also they have nice restaurant for breakfast. Location point of view, hotel is excellent, 50 m o Nanjing road and shopping malls. Also to the Bund and people square . I advise you a perfect hotel in Shanghai.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LEVENT1988
USA
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed here two nights for business. Nice modern hotel, rooms were fantastically updated! My room was on the corner and was a little small, but still nice. I didn't, however, like the fact that there were some stains on my carpet, but I tried to overlook it because everything else about the hotel was very nice.

The staff seemed ok, however I think I made the desk clerk mad because my toilet was stopped up. The plumbing in China is not as updated so you're not suppose to flush the tissue but rather put it in the waste basket. OOPS!! :) It's a hard habit to break and I'll admit that I didn't do too well in keeping it.

The hotel is right above the pedestrian shopping mall on Nanjing Rd so a great location. My room directly overlooked the mall and even though I was on the 11th floor, I did hear some noise from the loud speakers, mostly music. It didn't bother me too much but it is noticeable. Also, it's about a 20-30 minute walk to The Bund from the hotel.

The TV had decent number of English channels and there's a convenience store directly across the street. I really liked the location because there are shops etc. in the area. And the subway stop is really close. I didn't use any of the amenities so I can't comment on those, but I really liked the hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: As for a room facing Nanjing pedestrian Mall. You might here some noise but it's a better view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business