“A bit disappointing” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #56 of 4,969 Hotels in Shanghai
Vevey, Switzerland
“A bit disappointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

It feels like the Ritz Carlton standard isnt met at this hotel, it is not super maintained and partly not so clean, which bothered me the most.

Significant improvements should be made to match my expectations, especially the quality of the bathrooms and the cleanliness.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 5D4N during our recent Shanghai trip.
The selling point about this hotel is the strategic location which is in the heart of puxi and walking distance to the key shopping malls and near to the MRT.

I must commend the hotel as we took a red eye flight (depart at 1am) from Singapore and reached Shanghai at 6am+ so we reached the hotel ard 8am. We were basically trying our luck to see whether can they allow us to check in at 8am despite the official hour is 2pm. Indeed the hotel acceded to our request and check us in immediately so we managed to catch up on some sleep before we start our adventures in Shanghai....Kudos to the hotel!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Penang Island, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Had a club room. Room was ok, clean with nice Asprey toiletries, limited channels on TV, and low water pressure for the shower. Service at the club level was great at the concierge desk - very helpful for folks like me who don't speak Chinese. The breakfast selection though is limited, and the staff have problem keeping up with the no. of guests. Tables are not cleared and glasses for the fruit juices always ran out. The guy chef at the omelette counter gives one an unwelcome feeling. Afternoon tea is pretty good. Location is great, the hotel is on Nanjing W Rd, which is the central shopping district. Overall, this Ritz has nothing fantastic to offer for the "spectacular" price it is charging. I'm sure there are much better value elsewhere even in the expensive city of Shanghai.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Little Rock, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Service is excellent from airport pickup to greeting to club lounge personnel. Rooms are quite small and a bit dated compared to other ritz properties, but the bed was very comfortable. Noise from exterior was an issue, sounded like a construction site at all hours. Lounge food presentations were good, though a few more hot choices at breakfast would be nice. Lounge furniture in need of updating, couches had little cushion left. The ritz Hong Kong is a hard act to follow! Good location, many dining choices, attentive service.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Shanghai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here for a business trip in November and I can't think of anything to recommend this hotel other than it's central location. My stay was one problem after another and ended up with me changing rooms twice with an upgrade to the Kajima Suite in the end but would never return.

1. Rooms: The PRC is one of the oldest 5 star hotels in SH but was renovated a few years ago but the original room I was given was tired to say the least. The headboard above the bed was scratched, the carpet was stained and the paint peeling above the shower (see photo). Even my last room (the Kajima Suite) had a door frame that was falling apart. Not exactly what you expect from a 5 star.

2. Service: The F&B service was among the worst that I have encountered in any 5 star in China and I have been travelling here for over a decade. Staff were non-existent in the Tables restaurant at breakfast. After moving to the Kajima suite I decided to try breakfast at the Executive Lounge. I was given a cold cup of tea and since there was no chef at the pancake station I was told my pancake would be delivered to my table. 10 minutes later I had nothing despite the chef making pancakes for others and had been sitting there with an empty plate in front of the member of staff who told me she would get my pancakes for me.

3. Food: The breakfast buffet at Tables without doubt the worst 5 star breakfast buffet I have eaten in China. At the Executive Lounge, the selection of food was really poor. The hot offering consisted of spring rolls. Seriously? The food was just bad. I don't know what else to say other than perhaps the PRC should find themselves a decent chef.

4. Internet: The Internet speed is slow, even for China. I can usually FaceTime with my partner from China but this was impossible in my first room and difficult even from the suites.

While I appreciated the room upgrades, I would much rather have stayed in my original room and did not receive a note or any other form of apology. At the Fraser Residence where I have stayed previously (and is not a 5* hotel) I got a gift basket and letter of apology from the manager for issues with housekeeping and a much lesser inconvenience than having to move rooms twice.

Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else. The Jing-An Shangri-La is around the corner with better rooms and food.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

The Portman Ritz Carlton is a perfect base for a weekend getaway in Shanghai. Ideally located on Nanjing West Road, it is on one of the two subway lines that is directly linked to Hongqiao airport. Nanjing West Road and Jing'an Temple stops are both of equal distance. I was here on business with my office located in the Shanghai Centre which is directly next door, but venturing to other places including the Bund was very easy.

The rooms were extremely comfortable with an excellent bathroom. I had a deluxe room with a king size bed and a great view over to the exhibition centre. The bathroom included enough products to keep you going for a whole week and the surround system which extended into the bathroom was a nice touch.

The only element of my stay which was a tad disappointing was the strength of the wifi, however it was adequate and compared to many other hotels in Shanghai, the Ritz Carlton doesn't charge an additional fee.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Spent the weekend between business meetings here. Great hotel, nice location, and great staff. Had a great view of Shanghai, old and new, from my room. in the main shopping area and close the metro. Also close to newly renovated Jiang'An Temple.
The breakfast buffet we tried was average at best and it was not always easy to get the attention of the table staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business