Stayed here for a business trip in November and I can't think of anything to recommend this hotel other than it's central location. My stay was one problem after another and ended up with me changing rooms twice with an upgrade to the Kajima Suite in the end but would never return.
1. Rooms: The PRC is one of the oldest 5 star hotels in SH but was renovated a few years ago but the original room I was given was tired to say the least. The headboard above the bed was scratched, the carpet was stained and the paint peeling above the shower (see photo). Even my last room (the Kajima Suite) had a door frame that was falling apart. Not exactly what you expect from a 5 star.
2. Service: The F&B service was among the worst that I have encountered in any 5 star in China and I have been travelling here for over a decade. Staff were non-existent in the Tables restaurant at breakfast. After moving to the Kajima suite I decided to try breakfast at the Executive Lounge. I was given a cold cup of tea and since there was no chef at the pancake station I was told my pancake would be delivered to my table. 10 minutes later I had nothing despite the chef making pancakes for others and had been sitting there with an empty plate in front of the member of staff who told me she would get my pancakes for me.
3. Food: The breakfast buffet at Tables without doubt the worst 5 star breakfast buffet I have eaten in China. At the Executive Lounge, the selection of food was really poor. The hot offering consisted of spring rolls. Seriously? The food was just bad. I don't know what else to say other than perhaps the PRC should find themselves a decent chef.
4. Internet: The Internet speed is slow, even for China. I can usually FaceTime with my partner from China but this was impossible in my first room and difficult even from the suites.
While I appreciated the room upgrades, I would much rather have stayed in my original room and did not receive a note or any other form of apology. At the Fraser Residence where I have stayed previously (and is not a 5* hotel) I got a gift basket and letter of apology from the manager for issues with housekeeping and a much lesser inconvenience than having to move rooms twice.
Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else. The Jing-An Shangri-La is around the corner with better rooms and food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a breathtaking 5-star luxury hotel - The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai. Our award-winning hotel in Shanghai, China sits in the upscale Nanjing Road entertainment, dining and shopping complex, enthralling guests with an unparalleled and impeccable accommodations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Portman Ritz-Carlton Shanghai Hotel Shanghai
- Ritz Carlton Shanghai
- Portman Ritz Carlton Shanghai
- Ritz Shanghai
- Shanghai Ritz-Carlton