“Great location”

The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai
Ranked #49 of 4,997 Hotels in Shanghai
“Great location”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Ok, first there is a funky smell as you enter each room. You either get use to it or it goes away after a while. The hotel is beautiful and the beds are very comfortable. The linens are divine. The shower was way above expectations. The amenities in the bathroom are much better quality than at home in the Ritz-Carlton. Toothbrush and toothpaste! The breakfast buffet was extensive and delicious. I would stay here again!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife has high standards, and the Ritz Carlton met them. It is clearly a very well run hotel, with efficient staff, possibly not as engaging as other reviewers have described- personally, I found the service staff near the lifts doubling as security a little too 'present.' Try the buffet, one of the best I have experienced, and though Western prices, worth it. A good place for a nice short stay in this cosmopolitan city- definitely an aura of sophistication which is welcome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Even though The Portman Ritz-Carlton Shanghai is not located on the Bund, we loved the location. We walked everywhere from this hotel. We also liked the convenience of an ATM and a small upscale grocery store for water and snacks that were a one-minute walk from the entrance. A Starbucks was close by for a fix. We also bought tickets to one of the two more popular Chinese acrobat shows in Shanghai......we went to the more traditional performance next door, a two-minute walk from the hotel. You didn't even have to walk outside, and the performance was worth every RMB.

Because the hotel is located on Nanjing Road, one of the major shopping streets in China, you have easy access to all sorts of window shopping, i.e., from Tom Ford, et al to Chinese boutiques and department stores. Nanjing Road also offers opportunities for people-watching. It was also an easy and interesting walk to the Shanghai Museum, which we loved. We even went back to the Museum a second time because of its impressive collections.....and its descriptions in English, a great feature. The hotel is also very close to the Metro which we used several times when our feet were tired. Abd don't miss the pretty lights at night on Nanjing Road.

The Portman Ritz Carlton offers exceptional service. Check-in was easy and we were assigned a lovely and comfortable room on a high floor with a very nice bathroom. Amazingly, the host at breakfast remembered our name the second morning, which is very impressive for a hotel with over 600 rooms. At the bank of elevators at the entrance, staff always greeted us in a friendly manner and pushed the button for an elevator (I believe they also serve as security). My husband and I used both the fitness center and the pool. I wasn't familiar with some of the equipment, which staff noticed right away so offered me help, which I much appreciated. Finally, we checked out and waited in the lobby bar for our ride to the airport. When there were some last-minute instructions by phone for same, the hotel found us in the lobby bar, which was very busy, and made sure everything was OK with our driver. This was definitely over and above what I would have expected.

I loved this hotel because of their professional attitude and caring service without being stuffy or obsequious, the great location, and the comfort and standards of our room, the restaurant used for breakfast, and the public areas. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan L
Alvin J, Front of House Manager at The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thanks for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, and I am very excited to learn that you are passionate about our hotel because of professional attitude and caring service. We will continuously improve and innovate the Ritz-Carlton experience, and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
New York, NY
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Great hotel, can't fault them for a thing. Its just that Shanghai has so many cheaper options that are equally good. Breakfast was quite good, many options. Rooms were big and the beds were comfortable.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
NOTTINGHAM - ENGLAND
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights on business. Excellent service from staff and rooms pleasant, clean and tidy. In a hot humid city nice to have a decent shower too. Easy fir taxi drivers to find too. Recommendation for food outside of hotel would be Franck a French restaurant with excellent food, but hotel more than adequate, just after a few nights good to get a change of menu and scenery. Supermarket underneath the hotel sell cans of drink a third of price cheaper than the mini bar.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is my first time in the hotel, and I must say it is a great hotel for business. Convenient location, large and clean rooms, with all the amenities you will expect from a 5* hotel. What sets this hotel apart from the rest is the highly personalized service. Get this- I arrive at the hotel, as soon as I get off the car, was greeted by name by a very pretty service manager, and my bags were handled carefully by the other service staff. She walked me to the lift and told me not to worry about my bags, they will be delivered to the room. She arranged for check-in to be done in the room, and was very thorough in settling me in my home for the next few days-
There are restaurants around the hotel, Din Tai Fung, a pizza place, Starbucks and a supermarket below. This hotel truly has it all, but it is the super friendly and sincere service that makes this place feel so different, and definitely a place that I will choose to stay whenever I return to Shangahi-

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Alvin J, Front of House Manager at The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for choosing us for your recent stay and I am extremely proud to read your comments regarding our personalized, friendly and sincere service; which is key to our company. I look forward to welcoming you back.
Davidsonville, Maryland
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I've stayed at this Ritz Carlton 2 times and while the service and rooms are fine, the hotel is kind of dated. To enter the hotel, you have to walk through a drive-way area that looks kind of like a parking garage - its covered in concrete and full of cars and taxis idling. Once you get through the smog-filled entrance way, the inside is not much better. The decor looks sort of older, with lots of 1970s orange and red colors, mirrors on the walls, etc. Maybe its just not my taste.
On my last stay there, the airline lost my luggage so I arrived on an extremely hot Sunday evening with no clothes, few shops open and an impending business dinner. The concierge was not very helpful (not sure of how much he could have done anyway), but one of the management trainees at the front desk did try to help me by drawing me some maps to the nearest shopping areas so I could run out and buy a dress for dinner. She even offered to go shopping with me, which I did not take her up on.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business