“Good hotel for price range”

The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai
Ranked #49 of 4,997 Hotels in Shanghai
Streatham Common Lido
“Good hotel for price range”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Was on business, stayed a night. The front desk was good and efficient. One of the more efficient desks and very polite. Rooms are pretty good and well equipped, classical modern design. No complaints about anything. I did not dine in the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I found this hotel very comfortable. The rooms are nicely furnished and the bed is very comfortable. Bathrooms are spacious with a great shower.The service desk was very professional and friendly. The only slight downside was the buffet restaurant which can get quite overcrowded for breakfast. I recommend to go early. In the complex outside the hotel are also some restaurants with reasonable prizes. Overall a pleasant experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Batta83
Shanghai, China
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, good-sized rooms. We had two double rooms on the club level. The club is a good value - particularly for breakfast. The pool was fine, the lobby was very pretty. The location of the hotel is quite good. I would recommend it.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Beijing, China
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel is supernice. Me and my friend stayed there and we loved the hotel. It is located nearby Jing'An temple. The rooms are spacious and the area is nice. Very central. Swimming pool and other facilities offered by the hotel are supergood. You can easily visit Shanghai's attractions from there. Recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This hotel is in need of an update but it is still good value for money. The surroundings is super high end and the location is just priceless. Stay there everytime I go to Shanghai and the staff are nice and friendly, it is a place where you will go for business and meet business associates. Surrounded by many eateries and very well situated.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Germany
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed in a normal twin-bed room of the Portman Ritz-Carlton for 5 nights in January 2013. The hotel is well-located in a rather fancy neighbourhood, 5 minutes away from the metro.

The rooms are nice – well decorated and functional. They could be larger, but nevermind. The beds are wonderful. Anyway, there are many spots in the room (and on the floors etc.) that show that you’re definitely not the first guest there. Unfortenately, our first room was without steady hot water and as we tried to complain by calling the reception, we figured that the phone was broken, too. They changed us to a similar room (which I considered the absolute minimum after having to take an ice-cold shower), we complained about not being compensated at all and got free lounge access for our stay. The lift is rather annoying: having a room located in the upper floors, it is impossible to take the elevator without stopping at at least 3 other floors for other guests
As many things in the hotel, the lounge seems nice at first but then appears to have a lot of things to be improved. The lounge itself is pretty nice, snacks are worth it and the view over Shanghai aswell. Then again, the service in the lounge is horrible. The staff up there always seem busy on their desks – in the end I still don’t know what the heck they are supposed to do. No one says hello when you enter, dirty dishes aren’t moved at all, whenever I went to the lounge I had to ask for some more clean glasses, plates and so on. The chef for the evening snacks is in the kitchen 90% of the time and therefore unable to help you with the hot food.
The breakfast had a nice range of Western and some Chinese dishes. Unfortenately, cold air kept coming into the room all the time which is not all that nice in the morning. Also, ordering a latte macchiato becomes pretty much a lottery – during my stay I was served 3 different sorts of coffee as a “latte macchiato”. Also, staff seem rude walking through the area, no one stops for you – it almost seems like a race – and as always, they do not talk a lot which does not reflect the courtesy standards at all you might be used to in a 5-star hotel.

We found the pool/spa area rather disappointing. The sauna and steam bath were closed due to renovations and the pool was nothing special, not very deep. It looked like no one looks after the area at all, the air conditioning was turning the pool area into a ridiculously cold room.

All in all, it is clear that this hotel, as part of the Ritz-Carlton chain, appears to have certain standards of a luxury hotel (interior, beds in the room etc.). I can recommend it as far as looking at price and value. The location is good, the breakfast is absolutely sufficient, some staff are extremely nice. However, the service and staff in the hotel are not what you would expect in a similar hotel outside China. English is definitely a problem (as everywhere in China). Many of the staff do not seem interested in being very polite or helpful or in doing something at all (I’d say that’s a cultural trait..).
It is a 5-star hotel offering a comfortable stay for reasonable prices, but if you’re looking for a real luxury place (like a Ritz-Carlton in the Western world) to stay, better try something else or you might be disappointed.

Room Tip: The view from the rooms to the front of the hotel is extremely nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have been to this hotel a couple of times in the past weeks in January 2013 to meet a business partner who stayed there. There are some young men standing at the elevators at the entrance. I assume they were customer service/security/luggage boys. The first time I went there, they asked me where I was going to and swiped their card for me to the 43rd floor where the executive lounge was located. The second time, they asked me to go to "register" but did not show me where to do that. I walked over to the bell boy desk, and they were not helpful either. Finally I got to the front desk where there was a long line of checking out guests. I waited for about 10 minutes and finally they scanned my passport and told me I was "registered". I was not given anything but the word that I could just tell the security/luggage boys that I was registered. After I walked back to the elevator, the luggage boy who did not let me go upstairs was already gone, and nobody asked me any other questions. The whole "registration" process held me up for over 10 minutes and I was lucky that I had my passport with me. Weird ?!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business