“Gorgeous hotel in Shanghai”

The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai
Ranked #41 of 5,111 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Portman Ritz during a recent business trip. The hotel and service was outstanding. The location was very convenient to subway and shopping. The fitness center was outstanding.

Room Tip: My corner room was quiet and nicely furnished.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Alvin J, Quality Manager at The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

I am very thrilled to read your comments on our hotel and service, and thank you for sharing your experience. Next year, the health club will have new locker rooms and Spa (which are currently under renovation) and I look forward to welcoming you back! Should there is anything else I can do for you, please feel free to let me know. alvin.jia@ritzcarlton.com

There are newer reviews for The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai

Reviewed December 13, 2012

They should sell this hotel to a lower-star chain.

I booked a room, and the hotel has seen better days along with tired service. I booked an airport pick up, and even though the flight arrived very late due to thundering, the hotel car was there. I give them gold stars for that, but then that is where it stopped.

When we arrived at the hotel, there were no staff in sight, so the driver asked me to carry one of my bags (I had a very bad back and was hard for me). Meanwhile, there was a night manager standing 20 feet away and I had to ask him for help.

When I got to the front desk, the agent told me that the staff was overtired from a large number of guests that also arrived late due to the flight delays. He offered free wifi to make up for it. (In other 5 stars hotels I stayed at in China, it was always included).

As per the swimming pool area, I had to turn away 3 towels until I got one that wasn't stained or torn with holes. The pool area was rundown as well.

The Asian restaurant was excellent, and the staff steered me the correct way to order what they were known for.

I contacted the manager about it (not the one listed further down this page), and all I got was an "I'm sorry, try us again and we'll be sure it won't happen."

Mind you I have no complaints about the Ritz-Carlton in Singapore, Shenzhen, or Beijing, only the Portman Shanghai one.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank chefjohnnyc
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed on the Club floor for 11 days recently while preparing for our upcoming move to shanghai. Days were spent interviewing schools, looking for housing and socializing. Every evening upon returning to the hotel we were greeted by the staff at the Club lounge with smiles and hospitality. The food was delicious (all meals offered complimenatry) and the wine kept flowing! Other perks, including free Internet service and limo service once a day to the Bund, were also appreciated. Private concierge service was helpful when needed. The Portman is a very busy hotel, centrally located in Jing'an. It is not what some would call a "personalized" hotel, but staying on the Club floor made the Portman feel like a home-away-from-home during a busy and somewhat stressful week and a half. Recommend wholeheartedly!

Room Tip: Great views from all sides of hotel. Higher floors will give you more of a "bird's-eye"...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was very pleased with our stay at the Portman Ritz-Carlton in Shanghai. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The room was very nice and comfortable. The hotel is well located for most activities in downtown Shanghai.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

There really is no excuse for this hotel. It may have been Shanghai's first 5 Star hotel, but it's best days must seem like a lifetime ago. It is beyond tired, and its service is terrible. For example, despite booking a car from the airport - directly with the hotel - there was no record of my booking when I landed. To make matters worse, the duty manager tried to wiggle out of it by accusing me of booking with a non-approved agent, when I had clearly booked directly with the hotel - and had printed proof. The hotel also charges for wi-if, which I still believe is a disgrace. In addiction, it took 5 minutes for the shower to run hot.

These may seem like trivial problems, but they are symptomatic of a deep malaise with the hotel management. I would call it faded glory, but I actually wonder whether there was ever any here.

My advice - avoid at all costs - Shanghai has many wonderful and modern hotels and the Portman Ritz-Carlton is not one of them.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LambkinBern
Alvin J, Quality Manger at The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Please accept my sincere apologies. There is no excuse for us to fail your expectation on airport pick up service, and the issue was addressed on with the operations team seriously. Speaking of WI-Fi charges, the hotel will start offering free internet service from next month on. I do hope that you can come back so that we can proof to you we can provide much better services, and I am looking forward to having an opportunity to personally take care of your future stays. alvin.jia@ritzcarlton.com

Reviewed November 29, 2012

A beautiful hotel, and very friendly staff .
Just outside the hotel is an escalator to a shopping market / grocery store.
very nice if you need anything you may have forgotten to pack

They have a very nice pool, but we did not get time to use it.
Club Lounge is open 24 hours, and offers roundtrip airport transfers.
Lobby bar had a great band !

Reviewed November 23, 2012

If you never had an experiance of Ritz worlwide you perhaps will find this hotel OK, however this is Ritz on a budget.

Service is ''idiotic''- means 5 people are pushing the elevetor button for you, BUT when you need them really to help you, you will not find anyone.
Location is good- across the mall with overpriced stores. I.E Chanel bag i bought in Zurich for $2300 is $6000 here.
Has a welness Spa that is open to public.
Spa was under constrction so- cannot comment.
Dinning in the room was good
Lobby and the Bar are ok, nothing interesting.
The overall hotel is UNORGANISED.