“Patchy Service”

Ranked #51 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
“Patchy Service”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Hotel was located centrally in the middle of the older Shanghai City Centre. Rooms were beautiful and clean. All toiletries were provided. I was in a club room, so there was free wifi, but I understand that you would have to pay for it otherwise. Breakfast was nice, even though I ate at the Club, which the officer at the check-in counter told me that would have less selection. I loved the full toilet amenities.

Service was, however, patchy. My first impression of them was wonderful, when the porter helped me with my very light cabin bag to the check-in counter. There, the guest officer was very friendly and helpful. When I returned to ask for directions after checking in, she helped me get a map and drew out some things I may like to see, as well as provided me with directions.

However, when I got out of the hotel to what I assumed was the taxi stand, no one directed me to the actual taxi stand, which was a short walk away. I waited for about 5 - 10 minutes before I stopped someone to ask. The staff on duty at the taxi stand was rather curt. When I was trying to check out at the club lounge, I was left standing at the for 10 minutes with no staff on duty. A waitress inside the lounge caught my eye, but walked away and otherwise gave no indication that she would help find a colleague who could assist me. Both mornings, I asked for coffee and the staff did not bring the milk for it. My towels in the room was also inconsistent. The first morning, I was unable to find a small face towel, so had to make do with the medium (heavy when wet) hair towel. The face towel, however, was there the next morning.

While these are really minor incidences which in no way spoilt my stay, I believe that it should be improved to provide the top notch service that Ritz-Carlton is known for.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I love this place! I go to Shanghai somewhat regularly for business and always stay at this hotel so it feels like home almost everytime I go back. I will preface this by saying that I always stay in the club rooms which may be different than the standard rooms on the lower level but I'm not sure of that. The rooms that I have stayed in are very large and really nicely decorated and bright with huge windows. The bathroom is awesome and the beds are so comfortable. Honestly I just feel like it makes the jet lag and long travel worthwhile once I arrive and settle into the room.

The club lounge offers complimentary drinks and snacks at nearly all times of the day and is really nice for relaxing with coworkers after a busy day. The best part is the service. The Portman RC team trys to remember you and call you by name when you arrive at the club lounge and sometimes even remember me or coworkers from previous visits even if we haven't been there for a few months. Usually by day 3 or so of each visit they remember if you like something particular (me a diet coke for breakfast instead of coffee). Its just all of the little things they do to make us all say we love the Portman. At turndown service the housekeeping realized I was sleeping on the other side of the bed and so started turning down that side instead of the original side. They notice how you like things and strive to make it that way without you requesting it. The concierge in the lounge will go above and beyond to make sure you have dinner reservations and request best seating for you (without us even knowing). We were also treated to special deserts from the hotel at one restuarant we went to.

I definitely recoomend this place without any hesitation and just know that you will enjoy your stay.

TIP for a restaurant closeby: Lynn (might be spelled wrong) is just around the corner with a great menu and atmostphere. It is fantastic and has never disapointed any of the people in our groups.

Room Tip: Stay at the club level for the complimentary drinks and food and fantastic service in the club loung...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank burban
Shanghai, China
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Just spent a night at Portman RC last weekend. Check-in, check-out was efficient and fast. Hotel staff are all very nice with smile greeting, especially the staff at fitness center are willing to help and very polite. My corner room decor is clean and well-appointed, spacious with huge window overlooking Shanghai old resident house and modern office tower.

Breakfast at Tablets was a little bit disappointed, no so many choice, the chef at omelet station cooked his eggs with no smile and poor attitude, came out with tasteless presentation. Coffee also hard to drink, I would rather go for Starbucks or Baker & Spice.

Overall very good value for money, especially during low season.

Room Tip: corner room facing the north is more quieter; skip restaurant Tables, there are lots choice for brea...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is one of the world's finest Hotels. Rooms were extremely comfortable. Television service very good for China. Internet available. Breakfast Buffet the most elaborate we have ever seen. It is in a very convenient location with loads of restaurants of all price ranges only a short walk. Deluxe shops and Westgate Mall right nearby. Also convenient to Metro line no. 4. This place is pricey, but if you want deluxe you should be willing to pay for it!

Room Tip: Ask for Room not fronting on Nanjing Road.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jcbilello
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I attended a meeting in the Portman RC and in many ways was an excellent setting. The conference rooms were bright and had the modern amenities to match the settings. The food spread was good. Overall good value for money

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hertfordshire
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was a lovely hotel, with very helpful staff. It is in a very central location and good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
WV
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I must preface my review by saying that when I consider the quality of other hotels across Asia, I am generally comparing it to the Portman Ritz Carlton in Shanghai, partly because I have stayed here numerous times and it feels - well, like my home-away-from-home. The staff is exceptionally warm and friendly. The rooms are very comfortable and inviting. The jazz club on the second floor is perfect for relaxing after a long trip or a busy day. Also the area around the Portman is very chic and worth the stroll. The hotel is also just a few blocks from the Metro, so getting around Shanghai is quite easy. As a frequent guest I have learned that all you need to do is ask and the staff will do their best to make it happen. The breakfast in the main floor restaurant has a wide variety of foods and is very good quality. Also if you select the "club room" you will have access to the executive lounge, with evening cocktails and hors d'oeuvres that make for a relaxing space to catch up on e-mails or visit with colleagues. They also have breakfast in the lounge, but I think the selection in the main floor restaurant is better. You can also check-out here, making your departure that much easier. All told, this is a wonderful hotel with an awesome staff in a great location.

Room Tip: Club Rooms provide access to the Executive Lounge, which is well worth the upcharge.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business