Regal Shanghai East Asia Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
All reviewssports stadiumwendy wuhuge stadiumstadium cafeikea storetourist hotelroom facingchina tourmetro stationtour groupcomfortable hotelchinese cuisinequality hotelroom was largebreakfast buffetwestern optionshotel is located
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I recently spent two weeks at the Regal. It is probably by 15th stay there. Out of the 11 hotels I have stayed in in China, this is the one I call home. While the physical facility is no better than many 4 star hotels, and not as good as some, the staff makes staying there very special. On this occasion, my business was hosting 70 persons from six countries. I heard not a single complaint in the week the guests were there. From the General Manager to the doorman, everyone bent over backwards to be helpful. Rooms are comfortable and clean, food is excellent, banquet service was extraordinary, prices were reasonable. I continue to highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I prefer outward facing over the stadium facing rooms. Higher floors are generally nicer (and more expensive).
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel already several time over the past 5 years, but this is the first time I write a review. Between my actual and my last visit were already around 2 years. I like this hotel, because the room charges are still ok compared to others in Shanghai. During check in the service was fast, but I wished they could be a bit morew friendly. I was lucky, because I got an upgrade to a suite in the 3rd floor. It is not a modern design but for the age, it is clean and nothing was broken. Breakfast Is quite expensive with 120 rmb + service charge, but the food is ok. I remembered, that 2-3 years ago it was better. The main dissappointment was at the dinner buffet. This was horrible. Almost to food choice and almost everything was too dry or overcooked. It was already much better a couple of years ago. But this time it was almost not acceptable to pay for it. The good thing I like at this hotel is the bar at the 12th floor. It is quiet and you have a nice view on the stadium. The prices are ok for a hotel bar in Shanghai. They also now have some daily specials like ladies night or all you can drink for 150 rmb. The hotel is a bit far away from the tourist attractions, but I still can recommend it. One of the advantages is, that you have a lot of shops around the hotel, like family mart and some shopping center with many different choices of restaurants. Everything in a radius of 10 minutes walking. I hope they will improve the dinner buffet for those who need it and at the reception I would prefer a bit more warm welcome. Overall I will stay this hotel again, when I will be in Shanghai.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bobtown55
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I generally stay here as I attend a conference on site, but for tourists you'll be pretty far from where the action is. Clean rooms, and good service. Go up to the bar in the evening for a great view of the stadium.

2  Thank littledutchboy
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Very Old Hotel but Ambience is really good, hospitality is very good. Staff is very helping. Food veg menu options are less. Resturant timings are only till 10 pm or 11 pm, don't remeber exactly. In commaon areas, lobbies Cleanliness part should have to improve more.

Overall stay is really good here. Location of Hotel is very very good, this is just like in the streets of Shanghai. This is also very near to Metro, Pudong, People Square , The Bund all the tourist places.

1  Thank amanmlt
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Taxi drivers do not know where it is, it smells (but hey ho it is shanghai and it all smells), Fairly moderate all round. Nice spacious room and clean and tidy. We could not spend one night in there as there was a concert taking place in the stadium. A very average stay in a dreary hotel. But on the plus side it was close to the exhibition centre I was working in....
Apparently the pool is nice

Room Tip: Best rooms do not look in to the stadium stairs so make sure you go for city view. Take a clothes peg for your nose as Shanghai stinks
1  Thank Harry T