“Four Seasons Shanghai China Impressive”

Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #26 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
Cleveland, Ohio
“Four Seasons Shanghai China Impressive”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was surprised at the great rate we received to start. Room was excellent. Work out faciltity was more than adequate. Breakfast was included and had one of the nicest selections I have seen anywhere around the world.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and happy with our great location during your trip.

We truly value your loyalty and can't wait to welcome you back and experience our best service, hopefully very soon!

The Public Relations Team at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Four seasons is a good hotel. But with the prices I expect a little more than "good". The room was very nice, the upkeep of the room excellent. The gym was OK, but occasionally lacked towels and/or cold water. While I was in Shanghai the weather was beautiful, the terrace outside the pool was "out of service", no sunbeds, no chairs avalable. I went out anyway and sat on one of the wooden beds, with no mattres. I could see the poolguard observe me, but where was the offer of a mattress, or even asking if I need a drink or something? It seems like the chinese did as they were told, but had not really understood the consept of service to its guests. Food was OK, but not great, except for the wonderful breakfast buffet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us recently. Please accept our sincerest apology for the lack of Four Seasons service at the Health Club during your stay. We pride ourselves on personalized service and your experience is unfortunately far below our usual high standards. Your valued feedback has been shared with our Health Club staff for immediate improvement. Also really nice to hear you enjoyed the breakfast buffet. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you back, hopefully very soon!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

To be clear, I stayed at this hotel on business and was not paying myself. Yay!

Everything is fine and dandy with nice rooms and excellent service. I really have no idea about it's position as I only had half a day to explore. The Shanghai Museum is about a 20 minute walk and worth the walk.

If I have an issue, it is the food. The breakfast is fine without ever threatening to be original. It was the in-room dining that failed to impress. One evening I ordered fried chicken with lemon sauce. It was fried chicken with lemon sauce and not much of it. No rice. No vegetables. Wary, the following night I ordered wok fried vegetables. Does a bunch of Bok Choy count as vegetables? I think not.

In short, I shall not return.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and your precious comments. Please accept our sincerest apology for in-room dining experience not meeting your expectations. Your comments already shared with our Food and Beverage team for further review and improvement as appropriate.

We pride ourselves on personalized service and your experience is unfortunately far below our usual high standards. Our location is perfect or both business and leisure. We hope that will not stop you choose to staying with us again in the future.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The staff is amazing. Concierge was extremely helpful. Our rooms was big and the room amenities were fantastic. My child love the kids amenity - Well Done. Four Seasons knows how pamper kids. Not to forget the breakfast buffet - Unbelievable.

Esra

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank esrabayru
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and happy with our great location during your business trip.

Miami Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Location and staff made this a wise choice for a stay in Shanghai. Deluxe room was more than a comfortable experience. The staff was courteous and the food at the Breakfast Buffet was quite tasty. The Spa and gym facilities were top notch. The Concierge staff and front desk staff were very accomodating. No complaints to offer- would stay there again without hesistation.

Room Tip: High Floor Deluxe was quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This is my first English review so international readers please apologize for any shortcomings in expression as I am German. Hence, as the majority of travelers should be English, this is in English as I would like to thank the hotel manager by translating on my own.

China can be disappointing. You travel to a five star hotel because you know that below might be critical. Even though, you see that everything seems to be five star and the reality might be worse-below two star.

I have seen hotels which were shiny glossy nice but when you lived in them, you are disappointed because the very basics did not work.

My first time in Four Seasons Shanghai was not my first time in Shanghai or China. But it was the first time, I really felt comfortable. Actually I am not that kind of luxury seeking. But when luxury impression is followed by poor groundwork, I do not like it.

Four Seasons Shanghai is located in my downtown. Actually there is not a real downtown but I consider two places as good for staying. The Bund is a good place if you need to make business in Pudong or go out to the bars in this area. The Luwan District or French Concession is good if you want to see some China and some Old French imperialistic style.

Apart from the top notch luxury venues like Park Hyatt....I liked the Four Seasons because:

...the room was always clean, very clean and even clean in spaces which people like to forget, even in the bathroom

...the rooms are very silent though some construction is always going on in Shanghai, even close to the big hotels

...service is excellent, people speak a very good English and are approaching you in a very open way without being pushy

...hotel is not smelling( Important when you have been in China and you don't get away the naphtaline or toilet flavor from your nose)

...restrooms and every corner is clean

...breakfast is very good, even expensive with about 35dollars

..wifi is included and works okay

...even if you don't tell yor friends that you like shopping in places where you pay 10 percent of original price and even if you know that you do not need that, the Nanjing 580 market is in a 15min walking distance

...clean and well priced massage venues, restaurants and bars are nearby

so if yo need stable quality and a good sleep, this is a perfect place which I like to recommend as I have seen places with high Tripadvisor scores but low quality ( I do have approx. up to 100 hotel nights every year in different countries and cities)

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, April 7, 2013

Geneva, Geneve, Switzerland
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The Four Seasons Shanghai is a very nice business hotel which is also suitable for holidays. It is very conveniently located in the center and provides all necessary amenities including 4 restaurants, great Spa, a gym and a nice bar. Quality of food is very good everywhere. The most outstanding feature is the welcoming staff, always ready to help and perfectly friendly. I always feel at home when I come back to this hotel. Hotel Management is very visible and present, whch I believe has a very positive impact on the overall atmosphere. This is one of the few hotels in the world I can whole-heartedly recommend.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that does not over-look the building site next to the hotel to avoid its noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We truly value your comments and can’t wait to welcome you back, hopefully very soon!