“Marvellous Pudong Place”

Ranked #65 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
Würzburg
“Marvellous Pudong Place”
Reviewed September 21, 2007

The St. Regis purely is marvellous. I've never stayed in a hotel like this and I'm sure it'll take a while until I will find a compareable hotel again.

I was working in Shanghai for 5 weeks and decided to call the St. Regis home for this time - not a bad decision. The staff's great, the service excellent and the rooms are really big. No matter what room, the bathroom is impressive and the rainforest shower simply one of the best ways to start your day.

We enjoyed breakfast in the Executive Lounge which is free for SPG, the area around the hotel is great as well. You don't have to eat in the hotel, there are better places around where you can get authentic chinese food, even if you don't speek the language. Here's a must: leave the lobby, turn right and walk through the tiny park until you hit the next street, turn right again and sit down at one of the food places on the street - it's delicious.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank FalcoWinschel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 20, 2007

Spent 2 nights here as part of a Viking River Cruise Tour. The room was great, the service was great, the food was great, altho the only meal we ate here was breakfast. The upstairs bar makes the best cosmo I've ever had (no I didn't have one for breakfast). All-in-all, I've have to say SR was just great!

• Liked — great bed; soft sheets
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Zoeycat
Pflugerville, Texas
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I spent a week here on business and found the St Regis to be an oasis.
The room was beautiful and the bathroom was divine. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well. The executive lounge access is limited to a higher level of booking though. It is a very intimate, quiet venue with a great view of the sunset.
I found the complimentary breakfast very nice. They have a great cup of coffee and feature dumplings, and Chinese food in addition to all the usual things westerners desire.
The exercise amenities are simply superb. They have a more than adequate selection of eliptical, tradmill, bike and rowing machines in addition to a full set of machines and free weights. Even more, men and women enjoy separate steam, sauna, and jacuzzi amenities. And then there is the beautiful pool. And also a rooftop tennis court. It just keeps going. If you need a place to live while in Shanghai, this is a good choice since it offers such a variety of amenities.
I found the Cantonese food in the on-site Chinese restaurant too bland and not surprisingly, overpriced. However, the Pudong area will demand a level of competency in Mandarin that might restrict you to the hotel venues. Once across the river, things are a bit easier for the language-challenged traveler.
Only one disappointment. . .
I received a "visit the 2nd floor gift shop for a free gift" card in my check-in package. Baloney! This is a scam based on selling reproductions of traditional art that requires buying a 300RMB silk mounting. Don't fall for it - Shanghai is full of art scams and it disappoints me that one is located in the St. Regis.
I really enjoyed this hotel. And while I have no other "St Regis experience" to measure against, I look forward to staying there again and recommend it.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank pikeman666
Tiburon, CA
Reviewed May 16, 2007

Having stayed in so many top-rank international hotels with hefty fees for everything, I found the St. Regis refreshing. From the start, we were welcomed, with our butler and bellboy showing us to our room. Although we were on a group tour, we were invited to the top-floor executive lounge, and given tea and hot hors d'oeuvres during happy hour at no charge. Internet terminals in the business center were a steep 90 yuan for half an hour - but both times I used them, they didn't charge. Even the laundry fees and the price of toothpaste in the lobby shop were quite reasonable. So we felt like the St Regis was really interested in taking care of us.

Our basic room was comfortable and good-sized with a large bathroom, and separate tub and rainforest shower.

As much as we liked the St. Regis, I wouldn't recommend it for tourists on their own, just because the Pudong location is far from anything of interest and not convenient to the metro. If you do stay there, and are a light sleeper, avoid the Dongfang Road side, where the views are nothing special and the incessant Shanghai honking is quite audible even on the 15th floor.

• Liked — Welcoming and friendly service
  • Disliked — Poor location for tourists
  • Stayed May 2007
1 Thank toolworker
Ireland
Reviewed May 10, 2007

From the moment we arrived here, the experience was wonderful. The staff were so attentive and nothing was too much trouble. The room was amazing with the biggest and most opulent marble bathroom ever. The bed was to die for with divine pillows that you never wanted to get up from. The butler service was excellent. The best part of the stay was the amazing pool, which we had all to ourselves one evening, and the executive lounge, with complimentary canapes and cocktails/champagne/wine. Breakfast and dinner were fabulous in the hotel - one of the restaurants is open 24hours a day. The concierge was amazing here - we were expecting delivery of a package to the hotel during our stay, but it didn't arrive. The concierge undertook to forward it to us in our home country when it arrived and this all happened without any difficulty. Quite the best place I have ever stayed.

• Liked — Executive lounge and the pool
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jill72
Los Angeles, Calif.
Reviewed April 28, 2007

Having experienced other St. Regis properties (New York, Aspen), I think this property is actually a sister Starwood brand (a Westin) gussied up to embellish the portfolio. In other words, since there already is a Westin in Shanghai, I think Starwood decided to market this property as a more upmarket St. Regis so as not to crowd its branding strategy.

I say this because although the hotel features many of the amenities one might expect to find in a St. Regis, they seem to be thrown together in a "let's check it off the list" sort of way. Which is, I realize, a very subjective denunciation, but that was my distinct impression nevertheless.

There was nothing especially wrong and I can't fault any one element of my stay in particular. The exterior of the hotel is aesthetically unremarkable and occupies an undistinguished stretch of a busy commercial road (nothing worthwhile within walking distance as far as I could see). On the other hand, my room was immaculate and in good order. The bathroom was modern and marbled. The food in the lobby restaurant was okay and the service was decent. The fitness center and pool were fine and the free, in-room wi-fi was on par. But put all together, nothing distinguished my three-night stay as anything more extraordinary than something I'd expect from a competent business-oriented hotel. I guess I'm damning this property with faint praise.

One thing worth noting: for those visitors who intend to spend a majority of their time visiting old Shanghai (the Bund, Yu Gardens, Xintiandi, the Jade Buddha Temple, etc.) do note that those attractions are mainly to be found on the west bank of the Huangpu River, in Puxi. This hotel is located very much in Pudong and will necessitate some expense of cab time in order to visit many of the more interesting sites.

• Liked — Beds, bathroom
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank downtowntan
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 18, 2007

Stayed here for one night on my last trip to Shanghai, immediately after staying at Le Royal Meridien. Hotel check-in was very quick and was shown to my room (upgraded to a suite based on my Starwood status). Executive lounge is open to all guests of the hotel and the spread was a bit disappointing but similar to what I have experienced at St. Regis Beijing - I prefer spread at hotels with a closed off Executive/Club floor since food/drink selection is generally better. Anyhow, the room was nice, though I found the suite decor a bit plain (still nice). Nice, large bathroom with a TV over tub. Staff was very helpful and spoke good English, and butler service was great throughout the stay. I'd definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it if you are in Pudong - do be aware that if you are looking to do the more touristy attractions its a bit far from Central Shanghai - Le Royal Meridien is right in the middle of the action on the other hand.

Stayed April 2007