“Good...but not luxury”

The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #74 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Booked a five night stay at St Regis Shanghai using 10,000 Starpoints per night, the fifth night is free! At first, I was hesistent to stay here, as it is in Pudong and others made it sound like it was in Timbuktu. This is not the case, Pudong is across the river from the Puxi side, but the hotel is about a 10 minute walk to subway station, that can get you almost anywhere in Shanghai. Across the street is Holiday Inn, a few blocks away is the Courtyard Marriott and closeby, in the World Finance Center is the upscale, Park Hyatt. The taxi ride from Hongqiao airport was only 92 RMB plus tip. Going to Pudong Airport, count on taxi to be 150 RMB plus tip.

The hotel is very nice, but having just come from the St Regis Beijing, I don't think it compares. As a Platinum member, I contacted the hotel prior to arrival and was upgraded to Grand Luxe, one bedroom suite. Please note: not sure what items in my review are for the Platinum members only. Living area with flat panel TV, desk with famous Aeron chair, fax machine, minibar, large closet, fresh flowers and daily fruit and 24 hour butler service (two free pressings). Bottled water is provided daily at no charge as is in room internet access. There is also a hot pot in the room.

The bathroom was large with TV in the wall, rainwater shower, separate bath (with bath salts), but I was disappointed at the absence of Remede toiletries, like they had at St Regis Beijing. They no longer have the Ladies Floor as they mention on their website, but after much conversation, I did get the Bvlgari lotion and soap with a nice box of chocolates, which they sold in the restaurant. Robe and slippers are provided.

The bedroom is nice, no closet ( just an armoire, closet with safe is in living area with suitcase platform) and has comfy bed, good reading light, Bose Wave radio and CD, and flat panel TV. If you want a DVD player in the room, there is a fee, unlike St Regis Beijing. I guess they waive the fee since I requested DVD player in my room prior to arrival. But there were issues with the TV and DVD player and they had to change out the whole set up! Electrical adapters and umbrella are available.

The Executive Lounge on the 40th floor is a great amenity! Platinum members receive breakfast, consisting of pastries, toast, salad, meat/cheese/bread, made to order eggs, bacon, hot dishes, yogurt, juice, coffee, cereal, fresh fruit, it's a wonderful way to start the day! Drinks and cookies are provided in the lounge all day long and from 5:30 - 7 pm, the Happy Hour appetizers were plentiful. There is a conference room on the mezzanine and a free computer ( for me, this was a huge plus!).

Since I was eating out and in the Executive Lounge, I did not go to any of the hotel restaurants. I did wander through the Saints International Restaurant, off the lobby, and the buffet was not as nice as the St Regis Beijing.

There is a gift store on the first floor, outside is the ATM adjacent. There is a nice indoor pool/whirlpool, locker room with steam room and sauna, fitness center with pool tables. On floor 6 is the spa. Just down the street, is the Jade Garden restaurant, which is very popular with the locals and is true Shanghainese food. This is a chain with many restaurants in Shanghai ( a local took me to the one across from JW Marriott in Puxi).

The World Expo was easy to get to, once I figured out how to get there on the subway! Definitely avoid going on the weekend and Wednesday is the least crowded day. I went late morning and there was not one person in line to get in! Also, I recommend going to Xintiandi area, where there are alot of nice restaurants, shops, bars. I went to T8 and had a fabulous ( but expensive) meal. Also, loved The Peninsula Hotel spa on the Bund. They don't advertise the "Spa Cation" package, but I highly recommend you spend the day there pampering yourself in this new luxurious hotel. The Shanghai Museum is free and definitely worth a trip. Getting around on the subway, 3 to 4 RMB one way, is very easy and taxis are inexpensive.

Overall, I think the hotel is good, but when I think of St Regis, it means pure luxury, like what you would find at Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental or Peninsula. St Regis Shanghai is not in this class, if that's what you are expecting. I would highly recommend The Peninsula Hotel, if your budget allows.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank SusieJue

Reviewed June 25, 2010

The service and the politeness of the staff are below average as a 5* hotel. The exclusive St. Regis Butler is just a slower room services - takes more than 15 minutes for a simple request. Besides the services, everything seems to be fine. Room is spacious and the bed is very comfortable. Breakfast is good but defenatly not the Gracious Spring Lunch at Danieli's.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2010

This was a nice hotel, but having come from our previous stay at the Hilton Beijing, our stay was not as nice and cost a good deal more, so I cannot rate them as highly. Although I showed them my SPG gold card (and they knew from my reservation), our status wasn't even acknowledged let alone benefited. The SPG website states:
" [With gold status], you’re entitled to an automatic room upgrade at check-in when one is available. An enhanced room includes rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views."
Yet despite paying the going rate for two nights (the other two were cash and points, which wasn't available for the other two nights), we had to pay to get an upgraded room. The room was obviously available, yet we weren't even offered a discount on the upgrade. While on a high floor, we weren't placed on the side with the better views.
That being said, the rooms are quite nice and I found the service friendly and capable. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I didn't find the mattresses too hard, and I found the staff quite capable with their English skills. Although the room was a little larger than the Beijing Hilton, the addition of two chaise longues made the room seem smaller and more cluttered. I'm not quite sure what the purpose of the chaise longues were, except maybe as a luggage rack?
The bathrooms were roomy and beautifully marbled, but, unlike at the Beijing Hilton, the toilet was not separated from the rest of the bathroom by a door, there was only one sink, and there was no TV by the bathtub to let one watch the news while soaking in the bath. In addition, the hot water temperature varied while taking a shower, which it didn't at the Beijing Hilton. I will say that the room itself was quite quiet and clean. Mysteriously, we received a small box of chocolates on the 3rd evening turndown service, but not on nights 1, 2, or 4.
The executive lounge (to which I was upgraded for free at the Hilton) definitely had better views than the Hilton, and the service there was equally good. The food variety was better at the Hilton, though, and the hours more generous: the evening reception stops at 6:30 PM here, 8 PM at the Beijing Hilton.
I'll add my comments about the location. While cabs were cheap and easy to get from the hotel going to a major place (i.e. TO the expo, oriental pearl tower, or airport), even with the name of the hotel, addresses, and even maps written out in Chinese, we never found a single cab without GPS who could find our hotel without a lot of drama (driving around, calling the hotel, etc.). When we showed our hotel card and map to a bunch of cab drivers on the Pudong side of the ferry from the Bund, not one knew how to get to the hotel. While there are some cabs (green sides) which now carry GPS's, don't count on any other cab knowing how to get you to the hotel: the nearest metro stop is 300 meters away. The location is OK for the Expo, but not near much else.
While I don't have any major complaints with this hotel, I definitely feel as if I paid a whole lot more than at the Beijing Hilton and got less. To top it off, they tried to charge us for internet even after we paid to upgrade to the executive floor, and the upgrade included free internet. Hilton Hotels acknowledge their loyal gold customers. Why don't SPG hotels?

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank lebelgo
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Not much to complain here. The rooms are 5 star tidy. The bathroom is more than adequate. The view is good. However, the hotel needs to work on providing more English channels than just CNN. Room service was prompt. The breakfast was well represented. Overall, a bit of personal warmth / signature charm needs to be injected in this hotel.

For outdoor food and recreation, you may need to walk across the main street, onto a parallel lane. We were there during the Expo event, and found the location to be fairly accessible to all areas, including the Bund.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Good stay at St. Regis. Everyone has been complaining about the location, but honestly it did not bother us at all. We felt you needed to take the subway/taxis to various locations in Shanghai anyways, so it was not a big deal.

We got a great deal using cash & points through the SPG program so it was only $60 per night. Word to all - you can purchase points and do the "cash and points" option for less than it would be to reserve the hotel in cash per night. For the price, you couldn't beat this hotel. As others said though, the beds are incredibly hard, but they are at all three hotels we have visited in China thus far.

Overall good stay for the price.

Word of advice. Check out the bar at the top of the Park Hyatt nearby. It is on the 92nd floor and has an INCREDIBLE view. People kept saying to check out Cloud 9 and the Grand Hyatt, but the Park Hyatt is much better.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bessca
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Had to wait 15minutes at the airport for the car to arrive. I was then very nicely grated at the entrance and directly directed to my room for the check-in.
The room like the whole hotel, could be one from any chinese hotel around china (including colour, furnitures, smell etc..)
Maybe because it was a sunday but the hotel was really quiet with just 2 or 3 guests around. Restaurants and bars very unattractive which would definetely forces you to go out even for 10 minutes if you don't want to fall in depression!!!
Staff can't really speak english and if you ask for a direction just give you very vague info which means that you better know how to find your own way around!

Lots of much nicer choices in this incredible city!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Jeremy_Chi, Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2010

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the St Regis Shanghai. Firstly please accept our apologies for the delay you experienced for your airport pick up service. In no way do we see this as being acceptable and rest assured this has been addressed. We do thank you for your feedback regarding the English competency of our Associates and as part of our ongoing quality management program we will continue to do further training with our team to ensure this improves. We do also apologize that our more traditional style of hotel did not suite your preferences.

We certainly value your patronage of the St Regis Shanghai and would very much appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back and make up for this less than perfect experience.

Reviewed May 5, 2010

Although I prefer the more contemporary understated styling of the San Francisco St. Regis, the Shanghai location is perfectly nice in a more classical sense. The top notch service is all you'd expect from this chain. The location in Pudong is fine for business or if you're headed to the Expo or conference center.

Having attended a client event at the new Park Hyatt, I would be tempted to try that next time. If you're headed to Shanghai for tourism, I'd stay on the other side of the river, where the Westin is quite nice and you're closer to the interesting older parts of the city.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business