“Cannot possibly ask for more”

The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #70 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
“Cannot possibly ask for more”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This hotel isnt brand new and is a former St Regis (now under The Luxury Collection) but still kept its tradition of butler service. It is around 20-30 mins by cab from Nanjing Road. Furnitures are a little outdated but they maintain them pretty well.

I have to say this hotel has one of the most generous and nicest GM I ever came across. He kindly upgraded us (2 rooms) to huge suites almost 100sqm in size. The room has pretty large living room with sizeable working desk. Bedroom is also nice with large marble bathroom attached with walk in closet. It was my parent's 40th anniversary and on one evenign when we came back to the room we saw a nice piece of cake which was given to us by the hotel. It was nice gesture and we're grateful for that.

Breakfast for platinum SPG can either be taken at the lounge or main restaurant. Lounge has abit more vibrant feel to it but less foods selection. On a second day we had breakfast at a main restaurant at Lobby level. Foods're more in selection which feature everything what a standard hotel breakfast should be. Not the best breakfast I had but nevertheless it was adequate and filled all of us nicely.

The Hongta will be my no.1 choice should I be back in Shanghai again no doubt. Again location wise, its not the best out there but for hospitality and especially how nice the GM, Mr.Zong Liu had been treated us (he even came up to greet us at the lounge on a Saturday morning during breakfast which I assume is his day off) is something worth mentioning.

Thank you again for making our stay a memorable one.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a detailed and generous review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and will certainly pass your kind words to the other departments.

Thank you again for your comment and we certainly look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Liu Zong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is one of the better hotels with great restaurants in Shanghai. The rooms have rain showers. Great service and staff. Enjoy Sunday champagne brunch at top of the hotel. The pastry chef is a delight! Their Chinese restaurant is also terrific but the staff not so good in English. I stayed here many times just haven't written a review yet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.I am delighted to acknowledge that you are satisefied with your stay at our hotel.Our team would be absolutely inspired and motivated by your comments!

I thank you for your comments on our restaurnat staff's English level which serves a good voice of customer and is the expection that I can personally communicate with my team for a better service delivery. Thank you again for your kindness and support. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

California,USA
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel 4 nights. The room was very clean and large enough. Staff members are always very friendly and always try to help you. As this is a 10 years old hotel ( a former St.Regis) furniture are sometimes a little bit outdated but kept pretty well. The restaurant at the lobby level serve a decent breakfast.
The italian restaurant on the 39 th floor serve excellent italian food ( pricely). Overall, a very good hotel in the Pudong area.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, April 14, 2014

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Arrived in the hotel late in the evening after a long flight. Took the taxi from the airport and upon arrival at the hotel found out I couldn't pay with credit card in the taxi. Walked inside to check-in and ask to book the taxi on my room, but this was not possible. Therefore had to run to 3 different ATM machines in the surroundings of the hotel before my European card was accepted and I could pay the taxi driver. Not a nice start of my stay.

However, overall the staff was very helpful and friendly and they all speak English fairly good. They assisted with a smile on any request for help, for example writing down a Chinese adress (for the taxi drivers). The room was spacious, with both a bath and a nice rain shower and a lovely, enormous bed. WiFi is available in the entire hotel which is very convenient and breakfast was good. Considering the location and quality of the hotel, the hotel was not that expensive also (ca. 200 EUR/night). Considering the location (Pudong business area) and the quality of the hotel, I found it a nice place to come back to after a day of work. Would probably stay here again next time in Shanghai.

Small point of notice: when I wanted to book the hotels' limousine service to the airport I was told the hotel didn't offer this, which I found a bit strange since it was mentioned in the A-Z guide in my room. However, taxi's are available all over the place however, so this was not a big problem, I just found it a bit strange.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Alex H, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, December 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a detailed and generous review. I am delighted to acknowledge that you are overall satisfied with your stay and would like to choose us again next time.

I thank you for your comments which serves a good voice of customer and is the expectation that I can personally communicate to my team for a better service delivery.

The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

The hotel has improved greatly since my first visit. The staff are very polite and efficient and respond to requests for assistance very well. The breakfast has improved greatly and offers a lot of choice for both western and eastern tastes. The only thing I can offer that the hotel should work would be to get better coffee and upgrade the gym.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us review.I am delighted to acknowledge that you are satisefied with our staff and breakfast.Our team would be absolutely inspired and motivated by your comments!

I thank you for your comments about the coffee, which serves a good voice of customer and is the expectation that I can personally communciate to my team for a better service delivery.Here, I would like to share with you that we are in the process of planning renovations, including most of our areas across the hotel, which certainly will come along with a new gym.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel used to be St. Regis and has most definitely inherited the luxury DNA. It has excellent concierge and butler service, with luscious suites. The staff is top-notch. The Daniele restaurant is fabulous. Starwood Platinum members can enjoy free breakfast there as well. The executive lounge is cozy and offers a lovely view of Shanghai. It is conveniently located in Pudong near the No.2 subway line. It is also relatively less expensive than other "Luxury Collection" hotels.

As others have mentioned, the main downside is few amenities.There is no Chinese restaurant and the room service menu is limited. However, there is a very convenient money exchange machine in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrades. They are friendly.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detail and generous review. I am delighted to acknowledge that you are satisefied with your stay at the Hongta Hotel.

We are very sorry that our room service menu failed your expection,while we are producing new room service menu with more choices avaiable that assure you an excellent epicurean experience. Here, I would like to share with you that we are in the process of planning renovations, which certainly will come along with new amenities.I do hope you could enjoy this after the project is completed.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Absolutely wonderful experience here. Stanley, is one of the concierges. He was wonderful in helping me deal with a messy situation with the car service I used. He helped remedy my problem, made sure I made all my meetings and got me to the airport on time! He was understanding and gracious. A very different experience from the Grand Hyatt in Beijing. Beautiful property. Club lounge is a bit small for the number of people who were using it, but that too was lovely. Like being in a private club/library. The only thing I didn't like was how warm the room way. Actually had to turn on the A/C when I first arrived because temperature was set for 27 degrees celsius & even when I turned it down, it couldn't cool down to a more reasonable temp.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I do apologize for the A/C issue.We have shared your comments with relevant department.I thank you for your comments, which serves a good voice of customer and is the expection that I can personally communicate with my team for a better service delivery.For any concern during your stay, please feel free to contact your personal butler for further assistant and they will assure you a comfortable stay.