The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
$177
JW Marriott
  • Pool
The Kunlun Jing An(Shanghai)
$120
$98
$338
$323
  • Pool
All reviewsst regisbutler servicethe executive loungecentury avenuespg platinumbeautiful propertytop floorpvg airportacross the riverbusiness areaexcellent hotelfamily martwater pressurebusiness staythe financial districtbuffet breakfasthotel is located
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was looking for a 5 star hotel in PuDong for one night with my wife and the usual place we stay in was full. The Hongta location is few minutes walk further from the river but seemed excellent value. The room we had was large and comfortable with plump bed and beautiful bathroom. The rooms all have WIFI which is rare in China. The breakfast was excellent with bread and butter pudding available :) The staff were strikingly friendly and helpful. We had dinner in the Italian restaurant on the top floor which was top quality although a little expensive. They had a good selection of wines available by the glass !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detail and generous review. I am delighted to acknowledge that you are satisefied with your stay at the Hongta Hotel. Our team would be absolutely inspired and motivated by your comments!

Thank you again for your kindness and support. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel location is good in Pudong, about 15-20min walk to the subway and 15min (CNY22)taxi ride to the Maglev station. The area have pretty many restaurants and some shopping as well as a street full of massage places (foot massage etc)
The rooms are old but ours where newly refurbished and we liked it. Very nice bathroom with a nice bathtub and good water pressure.
Nice large towels and beautiful rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Conclusion: Value for money because the hotel's price point is lower than other level 4 shanghai properties, but there is a reason for it. the location is odd and hardware is old. However software (service) is still good and some parts of the hotel still retain that St. Regis feel. So a mixed bag. i would give it four circles, but given the large selection of hotel choices in Shanghai, I would give it three, meaning I won't probably return.

This stay: 2 nights. Upgraded to the one bedroom suite, with seperate living room and bedroom (but one bathroom). Usually I stay at Puxi, but this time most of my businesses meetings were in Pudong, so I looked at Hongta vs. Sheraton, and picked this Hongta. Actually have been meaning to try this hotel, the old St. Regis, because i wondered how the transition into Luxury Collection would work out, and also because this hotel gets lots of mixed reviews. Some love it but some think it's very low quality for Level 4.

Pros: Still has the St. Regis service and little details. And the atmosphere is not bad (the hallways especially).

Considerations: (i) location. Pudong is less desirable to stay than Puxi, but nothing they can do about that, but the location isn't in the "hot" part of Pudong. It's a bit far from everything. but then it's not really near Century Park (like Kerry Center) to be a park-atmosphere hotel) (ii) some designs like the lobby are too old school style and I was not impressed.

No comment: didn't try the food nor the lounge nor the swimming pool / fitness center

About me: East asian male, based in Hong Kong, travels for business and pleasure 100-150 nights a year (most Asia), SPG platinum 75

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Room Tip: high floor toward Century Park is probably the best view and layout
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detail and generous review

Here I would like to share with you that we're expecting a full scale renovation of the hotel in the very near future,Please do drop me an email at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com so that I can get more details that what we still improve on. Your gracious help will assist us to provide better accommodation experiences to all guests. Thank you again for your suggestions.

Last but not least, I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have just returned from another stay at the Hongta and have to rave about the service and the staff. From the doormen, to the bell staff, to the check-in team and the crew in Danieli's and the Executive Lounge they are all fabulous - they are attentive and gracious while still being obtrusive. Kiki deserves a special mention as she consistently went above and beyond and worked hard to recover my lost iPhone power cable on my last morning before I had to leave at 8.30am.
Rooms are reasonably spacious, clean, comfortable and always well serviced.
The Executive Lounge is a quiet place to work during the day and then livens up nicely for the happy hour. My only gripe is that I used to really enjoy breakfast up there but they have moved it to Danieli's which is a tad formal for the mornings.
Location is OK but not great, however, the taxi service is always quick and can get you to where you want to go.
I will definitely be back.....it provides a homely oasis in the big, bustling city.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business