The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #68 of 4,454 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore
“Need change”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Have strayed there over 30 times since it was open as St Regis Shanghai. I really cherished my time i spent in the past 10 years.

Now it is getting tired and also I am not particularly impressed with the new management who was coming from the property owner Hongta Group. This hotel is becoming more and more like a typical Chinese hotel in the 2nd or 3rd tier cities in China I.e. YuXi where Hongta is coming from. It's service does not meet up the international standard.

One night , I had a meeting with my colleague in the Executive Lounge on the 40th floor, which used to be a very nice and relaxing place in the St Regis time. Unfortunately,This time we bumped into a group of very drunk people having drink there. They were chatting extremely loudly and rudely and full of F...k words which is totally conflict with a luxury hotel image. I once came across the similar situation in St Regis Beijing and this type of people were simply not permitted entering the venue as they will upset and disrupt other people in the venues. I would expect Hongta would do the same however it was surprise that nobody was doing anything. The mgt of Hongta should realise that other customers deserve at least quiet environment while we pay you to stay in your hotel. So really disappointed.

Funnily enough, I had some chat with the old staff I knew. Surprisingly most of them were sad about the new style of this hotel and miss the old St Regis hotel. I

I have to say SPG did a wrong decision by letting the owner send their people to run this used to be a my favourite hotel.

Very very disappointed.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hawkdai007
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the love and trust you've crowned to our property. It is always sad to read about these unpleasant experiences from our loyal guests.

We have been working very hard to keep our service standard to make sure our guests can enjoy a comfortable stay. I feel terriblely sorry for the indecency you've encountered at our Club Lounge. We'll definately plan more training to our green hands on these cases to make sure that each one of our guests can enjoy the Luxury Collection experience. I would very much like to offer you a remedy for our service failure. Please drop me an email at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com and I'll see what we can do.

Once again, please accept our sincere appology and we look forward to having you back again soon.

Liu Zong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I travelled on business and stayed in Hongta for two nights. The place is pleasant, nice rooms, staff is polite, breakfast fine. Also tried the Italian restaurant on 39th floor. Nice place but The dishes could be better.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AriesInMotion
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Hongta Hotel for your recent stay and very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We have been working very hard to ensure our standard of cuisine lives up to your expectation. That's why I would really appreciate it if you can provide us with more detailed suggestions on the dishes in our Italian restaurant. You can drop me an email at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com.

Once again, thank you for your time and comments. We look forward to having you back again soon.

Milan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am a frequent guest of the hotel and can say they have been keeping the highest standard of service. Staff very friendly and professional. Rooms very comfortable. Service excellent. Atmosphere quite and comfortable.
Danieli Italian Restaurant at the 39th floor good!
It all deserves the real 5 stars

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MilanPilot
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your very positive review. What is more inspiring than a compliment from our very own guests? I'll definatelly pass on your generous comments to the entire team.

Thank you again for returning to us. We'll keep working hard to make the Hongta Hotel your home away from home.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I wanted to stay here when it was the St Regis and got the chance recently although now luxury collection. Rooms are good size and bathrooms nice. As a gold member was upgraded to a oriental suite which was superb. Staff were excellent, butlers spoke good English and were responsive. A very pleasant surprise was the Italian restaurant (Danieli’s) on the top floor. It had a great atmosphere and was nearly full on a Wednesday night. Not like a hotel restaurant at all. The chef was also great and sent me over a complimentary buffalo salad.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank StuckinBangers
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your very positive review. We are glad that you are satisfied with our hardware and services. Our staffs are trying their best to make the Hongta Hotel your home away from home. Your generous compliment is definately a big source of motivation for the entire team.

Thank you again for your comment and recommendation. We cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future!

Usa, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

stayed here for 4 nights on a business trip to shanghai. others have commented about the location and those are accurate - close to underground trains, lots of shops nearby, mall 10 mins walk towards the bund, etc.

lobby was great, but i found the front desk staff to be a bit impersonal - i arrived late around 9 pm and expected a warm greeting. i wasnt told about what the hotel had to offer - services, dining, amenities - something that i have seen at other hotels. it was like checking into a motel or i could have used a computer to checking even.

the room itself was good (asked for a change from the back of the hotel to the front looking over the street and was accommodated), bed was typical starwood quality so no complaints there. bathroom was good (although the speaker system didnt work properly) - toiletries were fine.

the hotel was very quiet even for a business hotel. late night at the lobby bar - i was almost to myself. breakfast was in the main lobby area - i didnt go there, but didnt seem as busy either.

tried the italian restaurant on the top floor. enjoyed the food - views were somewhat limited.

went to the concierge in the evening for a taxi - which pulled up promptly. but (i found this out later) the staff or concierge did not give me a card in mandarin that you essentially hand to taxi drivers for your way back. as a result, when i went to the bund for sightseeing late at night, i had to take the underground back because i was unable to communicate the hotel name/location to the driver. wiser from this experience, i asked for the card myself the next day. i would this to be included in the room key card folio or at least be asked about it during checkin.

so, all in all, it was a good stay, but not a great stay. the 'negative' aspects are not that much and would have given this hotel a 4.5 * if i could. i would stay here again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank im666_1999
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Hongta Hotel for your recent stay and very pleased to know that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us.

We have been working very hard to ensure our services lives up to your expectation. I feel terriblely sorry for the indecency you've encountered at our front desk. We'll definately plan more training to our green hands to make sure that each one of our guests can enjoy the Luxury Collection experience.

Once again, thank you for your constructive comments and we look forward to having you back again soon.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Hongta became my home for 14 days when I travelled to Shanghai on business. From the moment I checked in till the moment I left nothing was too difficult. The staff are very friendly and will go out of their way to assist you. A few people have made mention of their lack of English, I found trying to speak some Mandarin went a long way and if in doubt, there was usually an English speaking person on reception the majority of the time.

As a lone female traveller the reception staff were always happy to write down, in Chinese, where I needed to get to, so when hailing me a taxi it got me to where I needed to go with minimum of fuss.

I was upgraded to one of the Executive floors (36) and appreciated the Executive Lounge on the 40th floor - very nice to unwind after a busy day at work and it was usually filled with other business people so conversation was never short. I ate breakfast there most days as it was a more relaxing start to the day than the restaurant in the lobby, which tended to be quite busy.

The hotel itself is very well presented, I had a beautiful room, one of the nicest I have ever stayed in while travelling for business. The butler service was a nice touch, having someone on call to help me for things such as organising laundry and getting me an adaptor when I left mine at work, was much appreciated.

Check out was easy and painless. I will definitely stay at the Hongta again - whether it be for business or pleasure. I didn’t get out around the hotel a lot but it has a convenience store nearby, most of the time when I went out it was off exploring, so I can’t comment on the shops etc around the hotel.

Thank you for making my stay in Shanghai memorable and very enjoyable.

Room Tip: If you can get an upgrade to an executive floor, well worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hongta Hotel for your recent stay and leaving us with such detailed and cheering review. We are honored to be acknowledged that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments will be shared with our associates and they will definatedly be thrilled and motivated by your kind words.

Should your business or vacation bring you back to Shanghai, please do not hesitate to reach me at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful comments and we look forward to having you back again soon.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed this hotel for a week for a recent business trip to Shanghai. The hotel is located Pudong area which is generally quiet compare to the other side of the river. Anyway, the location is fine as it close to subway station, or you can easily get a taxi to a place that you would like to go nearby. There are a few restaurants and super market nearby hence you can easily get food or some groceries anytime.

Generally, for a hotel at this rate, i have to say Hongta is offering a good value for its' customer. The room is clean and staff are overall friendly. They greet you whenever they see you. The gym facilities are in good condition and it also have an indoor swimming pool.

The hotel is located slightly out of town, so it is quiet at night. But personally i find the bed is slightly "flat" as compare to other same class hotel. The mattress cover looks thin and you can typically feel the hardness of the bed.

I did encounter some unhappy experience during the breakfast time. The breakfast can be busy especially during peak hour. One day i have assigned to a seat but it was occupied by some other guest after i got the food back. Hence, i approached the waitress to assign me to another seat. But the waitres asked me to check around and to share table with other guest. I am fine with sharing with other guest but it just annoying for asking me to seek for a seat by myself. In my opinion, the service at the restaurant need a lot of improvement. They could served me a coffee without giving me a spoon, or i was seated without offering a drink and etc. This is some fundamental problem which happend during a short stay of one week in the same restaurant.

But overall, the hotel is still worth staying considering the location and the spacious room and also the good service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Silvio_Autuori, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hongta Hotel for your recent stay and leaving us with such detailed and wonderful review. We are honored to be acknowledged that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us.

Also, we feel terribly sorry that our service at breakfast failed you. I will personally see to this issue and make sure our people do the right thing to our guests.