New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai

The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #61 of 4,324 Hotels in Shanghai
Terrey Hills, New South Wales, Australia
“Good value, good service, english speaking needs improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel itself is beautiful and nice and close to the financial district. The concierge staff are very helpful with providing local written (printed) directions with maps also. I had a couple of hiccups with the service, once I ordered two-eggs breakfast (a menu item) and got just two eggs and nothing else. When I checked in I rang to ask for my internet password and the operator abruptly told me it was down and call back later. I had to call back and talk to the manager to get the password. They did try and make amends by inviting to executive floor for breakfast, which was nice.

The Italian restaurant Danielli's I think it's called is particularly nice, good view also. The butler service is very attentive and goes the extra mile to make things easier. The other downside is the beds are very hard. That's a key reason I probably wouldn't stay again, but if I was a hard-bed-lover it's a good choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Silvio_Autuori, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments on the hotel, our talent and their friendliness, efficiency and English proficiency. I will definately pass your comments on our breakfast menu to our executive chef and rest assured he will look after it. Please also accept my apology for the password issue. We will absolutely take more pains to train our staffs in this area.

Once again, thank you for the valuable feedback and we look forward to having you back soon.

Liu Zong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Nice hotel, clean and well appointed though some smoke residual in the room. Service and breakfast aren't quite 5-star standard, but this seems to be China in general (vs other Asia metropoles...). Would be nice if spa was more reasonable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Hongta Hotel for your recent stay and very pleased to know that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us. We have been working very hard to ensure our standard of cuisine lives up to your expectation. That's why I would really appreciate it if you can provide us with more details on the breakfast issue. You can drop me an email at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com.

Once again, thank you for your constructive comments and we look forward to having you back again soon.

Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel is everything you'd expect from a hotel chain that bills itself as a luxury collection. The reception was very welcoming with all the staff speaking excellent English. I didn't have to ask about anything to do with my package deal it was all explained to me when I checked in. The room is very comfortable and spacious with a lovely bathroom and walk in shower. I had preferred guest status which gave me a few welcome benefits such as free wifi, butler service with complimentary shoe shine, 50% reduction on the mini bar etc just little touches that made my stay more enjoyable. Rooms were very quiet with no discernible noise from other guests so I slept fitfully each night. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice and healthy options. Although I didn't get chance to use the spa and fitness facilities they looked really good and offered a wide variety of treatments. As I say a little bit of luxury made my stay very pleasant and I would certainly stay here again

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your very positive review. I’m proud to hear that we lived up to the Luxury Collection standard of creating exceptional experience for our guests. We have been continually working hard to ensure that philosophy is held in the minds of our talent at all times. Your generous compliment is definately a big source of motivation for the entire team.

Thank you again for your comment and recommendation. We cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future!

Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Overall, the room was excellent. Clean room, large bathroom with clean and well maintain tub and shower. Complimentary wifi internet, fresh fruits, water.

The only thing that I was not impressed with was the breakfast buffet. It was average, nothing special.

Nonetheless, excellent experience. The staffs know english and are trained to be service-oriented. Good job!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Silvio_Autuori, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much to choose the Hongta Hotel and taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy to know that you are satisfied with our room facilities and services. As always, your compliments will leave our team with great hornor and motivation.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future again!

With Regards,
Haverhill, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here for 9 nights on a recent business trip. It was one of my favorite hotels that I've stayed in for business travel. The employees are extremely attentive to service, and are willing to go above and beyond to ensure your visit is pleasant. The rooms are fantastic. The linens are beautiful. The bed was slightly harder than I like, but I slept well. The bathrooms are enormous including a beautiful huge tub and a separate shower.

The location is great. The breakfast buffet is one of the best I have experienced, including American, Asian, and European choices. The restaurant manager asked me for any improvements as they are always trying to make things better. The club lounge was staffed by experienced employees and a few interns. All of who remembered my name and drink choices after my first visit. The spreads are nice for snacks before a later dinner. Beware, Shanghai eats dinner early, and most restaurants close by 10 pm. The hotel restaurant is open later and had some great options. The concierge helped with dinner and foot massage reservations. All destinations were top quality and reasonable prices. There is a great gym and pool. I'd recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Silvio_Autuori, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your very positive review. We are glad that you are satisfied with our hardware and services. Our staffs are trying their best to make the Hongta Hotel your home away from home. Your generous compliment is definately a big source of motivation for the entire team.

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Had to change travel plans and stay in Shanghai for an extra 2 days. Moved from the Sheraton Hongkou to the Hongta as the rate was much cheaper by that time. The hotel itself was nicely presented and the room was in good condition. Cant say the butler service added anything to what I usually get from quality hotels.

I had the club access which was OK for breakfast but a long way from the Sheraton Hongkou's evening service. Thought the service was more attentive at the Sheraton.

The general surrounds of the Hongta had many more restaurants and other activities in walking distance.

Overall the value was good but the Sheraton has the better service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Woodmere, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was in Shanghai for a trade show and the location of this hotel was perfect. 15 minutes from the convention center. The price was really great for this quality of hotel. The staff was great and the rooms were big and comfortable. I would definitely high recommend the hotel. Gym was good and so was the pool.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Silvio_Autuori, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your very positive review. Your generous compliment is definately a big source of motivation for the entire team.

Our staffs are trying their best to make the Hongta Hotel your home away from home. We cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future! Should you need anything for your next stay, please don’t hesitate to contact me at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com