The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #70 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Sydney
“Love this place”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Second time this year I stayed here and loved it - they even have a butler who brings you tea when you want it. They really understand business travellers.

Great rooms and good facilities - a beautiful hotel and I will be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SydneyJohn64
Silvio_Autuori, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your very positive review. Your generous compliment is definately a big source of motivation for the entire team.

Our staffs are trying their best to make the Hongta Hotel your home away from home. We cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future! Should you need anything for your next stay, please don’t hesitate to contact me at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com

My best regards,
Liu Zong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed for 1 night, front desk and concierge very good, room service and FnB service staff very average and poor English, terrible service at breakfast oh sorry no service at breakfast. Overall it's a good value for money hotel although in desperate need of renovations...

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank enjoytravel5
Silvio_Autuori, Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am glad that you are very satisfied with our front desk and concierge. Thank you as well for feeding back on the service and English level of the in-room service and breakfast. I will personally take care of this issue and make sure we are back on track with our standards. Concerning the renovation, let me share with you that a full scale phase by phase renovation has been planned and it should take place in the very near future.
We look forward to have the chance to host you again soon and show our improvements. Should there be anything I can do for your next visit to Shanghai, please drop me a mail at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com.

With Regards
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Great location, great service, rooms are very well kept and the staff speaks good english. Overall - highly recommended. The reception area is big with a nice mezannine floor.
View from the room includes some of the tallest skyscrappers of shanghai.
The irish pub nearby is an added advantage.
Breakfast was good too !

Room Tip: make sure you have got the wi-fi right from the butler cause it disconnects quite often.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Silvio_Autuori, Hotel Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear jk_blr,

Thank you for your very positive review. I am very pleased of receiving such a good comment. It is also a big source of motivation for the entire team to whom I have already transferred this message.

At the Hongta Hotel we are always working hard to ameliorate our service, should your travels bring you back to Shanghai, please don’t doubt to contact me at silvio.autuori@luxurycollection.com so I can personally show our improvements.

Until then, Best Regards,

Toronto
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Our stay was short, only one night as we were stopping in Shanghai between flights. We decided to try this hotel or no other reason than we wanted to try another property (we are traveling throughout China on Starwood points) .

When we arrived, we decided to upgrade to a club floor suite. With the two kids in tow having the extra room was a nice treat. I miss the days of me being platinum and getting some of these perks for free..l

What really impressed was the staff. Within minutes of entering the room, we had fresh fruit, tea and hot chocolate and flowers. Mere minutes later, the non feather bedding I had requested was on the bed. The list goes on and on...in fact, I reall don't think that we have ever had such great service...and definitely not for the dollars spent...

The staff in the lounge were wonderful to us and the kids (Jamie and Matthew missed them when we left!).

In the end, I guess the best compliment I can offer is that if our upcoming stay at the le Meridien is not at the same level, my wife has requested that we spend one more ( or two) nights before we head back to Canada.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Mjwarbeck,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a wonderful review. I am delighted to acknowledge that our clients enjoy their stay at The Hongta. Rest assured I will cascade your comments to the entire team.

Should your travels bring you back to Shanghai please contact me at silvio.autuori@luxurycollection.com. It will be a pleasure to host you again and provide you with an ameliorated experience.

Hong Kong
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I have stayed at the Shanghai Hongta twice on business. It is within the Pudong area and about RMB18/10 mins taxi ride to Lujiazui (ie. CBD of Pudong). Without traffic it is just 35-40mins away from the Pudong airport.

This hotel used to be a St Regis hotel and is now a Starwood Luxury brand hotel. Service is quite good. Don't be fooled by the reception which is a bit local. The rooms are actually quite nice. During my last stay the hotel gave me a free upgrade (see photo).

I think the rate is about HK$1100 per night which is very reasonable in Shanghai's standard. If you have read my recent critical report on Shanghai Four Seasons (which charges RMB2500 per night) you will know why I rate Hongta highly.

I have tried the breakfast at Hongta. Selection is ok and taste is also quite good.

Overall, because of the local name the hotel has it is often underrated but in fact this hotel offers very high quality at its price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Silvio_Autuori, Hotel Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Jason S,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a wonderful review. The entire team is extremely motivated by your kind comments.

Should your travels bring you back to Shanghai please do contact me at silvio.autuori@luxurycollection.com. It will be my pleasure to provide you with even better experience.

Until then, best regards

Tel-Aviv, Israel
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We got 4 rooms for the upcoming GSM Asia exhibition. As I understood we got the more upgraded rooms, which more nothing be amazing. the swimming pool is great for late night swims (to obtain the jet lag), and the breakfast will have all you need, both western and local.

The hotel is located on the business area in Shanghai.

Room Tip: check if it's you can upgrade it to the business rooms.
Dear Eran K,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. It is always a pleasure to know that our clients enjoy their stay at The Hongta and that our daily efforts are worthy.

I certainly look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

overall great experience with regards to room, cleanness, service in general.
Main areas that does are not satisfying are the Breakfast variety for a luxury hotel (it is very basic) and the Jym is extremely tight and you can hit the celling very easily if you do not pay attention

Dear LoveLiving,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is very satisfactory to apprehend that you had an overall great experience. It is always a pleasure to know that our guest enjoy their stay at The Hongta Hotel.

Since your last visit, we have improved our breakfast buffet and we hope that you will have the chance to experience it.

As per the Gym, we are planning a total hotel restoration which will include also the gym area and, thanks to your advise, we will look into a higher ceiling.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back soon.