“awesome”

The Westin Bund Center Shanghai
Ranked #45 of 5,147 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed September 7, 2009

awesome trip to china this is very nice place to stay staff is amazing, very well located a got a great rate by a mexican agency called viajeshelvetia.com. Hotel has lots of amenities and great views.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed September 2, 2009

Have just returned from a 4-night stay at The Westin Bund. It was amazing! Extremely comfortable, luxurious and obviously expensive!

The hotel is self-contained and it's very easy to forget that there's a big city to see! There are numerous restaurants, bars, a fitness centre and a fabulous spa (which my husband and I highly recommend!) The staff speak excellent english and go out of their way to help. There is loads of info on offer to help with trips and whilst they are expensive, they're organised very well.

Our room was also massive! Bigger than our flat at home we worked out! The bed is extremely comfortable and the shower was amazing. All the creature comforts.

I know it's an obvious thing to mention, but it's just worth bearing in mind.....everything is extremely expensive. For example, a coffee is £8 and to get a pair of pants washed costs £4. My husband and I have very little self-restraint so spent a fortune!!

There was only one thing that upset me a little at the hotel. My husband was approached on 3 occasions by escorts in different parts of the hotel. I didn't mention this to the hotel, but regret this and would next time. The cynic in me says the hotel is aware of this, but I'd like to believe otherwise and don't know for sure. There is obviously a lot of money being thrown around The Westin and there are a lot of business men.......

Overall, a great stay and we'd go back (if we ever have the money again!!)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I spent 6 nights here as my first time in Shanghai. I was originally going to go with the Grand Hyatt but this hotel seemed to be better situated on the Puxi side, close to People's Square, Nanjing Road, Yu Gardens and the airport, as well as closer to the train stations. I had booked the hotel through hotels.com and I've upgraded myself to one of the newer rooms for something like 120 yuan more per night. However, I was not impressed at all with the room decor; it all seemed tacky and not warm at all - more like 3 star quality. There were just ceiling spot lights and 2 table lights by the bed which created a very bright atmosphere. The bathroom actually kept bumping into the desk whenever it was wide open (slide door). A room advantage is that they're reasonably big so you won't be short for space. I stayed on the 11th floor.

The bed was harder than in other Westin hotels I stayed at and the toiletries (shampoo, shower gel and body lotion) were of poor quality.

The room service was great, though bad value for money. Don't get me wrong, I've even stayed at four seasons in the past and I know what a good value for money is.
The main restaurant closes after 2pm so anyone wanting to have a late lunch... well bad luck! You can just buy some sandwiches (which are good and I would recommend for a cheap breakfast) from the "Treats" shop downstairs. I had some snacks in the lobby and I was originally refused a second cup to share the tea pot with my friend, which I found a bit rude.

The location was nice, with great views in all directions.
So overall, if you want to stay here, don't expect your stay to be cheap even though the original hotel rates may be lower than in other places. These rooms are the worst I've ever seen in a 5 star rated hotel even though you can argue that the location makes up for it. I personally wouldn't stay here again. I just had to register to write this review, I hope it helps everyone!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank crystak
Reviewed August 27, 2009

After a crazy 5 day trip to Hong Kong and a late arrival in Shanghai, I was pleasantly surprised to find work had booked me in to such an amazing hotel.

It has great restaurants, a fantastic lobby with a staircase that looks as though it should be in a ballroom, different bars, a spa which is out of this world and the rooms are fantastic. I would have liked to have stayed for longer than the 10 days but it was very expensive and the formula 1 was in town so the prices went up too far!

The only thing is the price but I guess thats what you pay for quality.

Also the Sunday Brunch is something you should experience at least once but you do have to book in advance.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Excellent location. I would recommend staying here if you only have a short time in Shanghai and would like to see a bit of the city (People’s square, Nanjing Rd, The Bund).

Rooms were on a par with other Westin hotels I’ve stayed in (that’s to say excellent). Based on the prices of coffee in the lobby area (around 80 rmb), I’d recommend dining elsewhere – there are plenty of choices. The Banyan tree spa in the hotel has been recommended by friends – purported to be the best spa chain in Shanghai.

Check in times are 2pm. Receptionists speak good English. If you’re getting in early, you should let the hotel know - we arrived at 12 and had to sit around for an hour.

Taxis too/from Hongqiao airport cost approx 50 rmb; to/from Pudong airport approx 250 rmb

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2009

center of town, walking distance to everything, beautiful view, so clean, awesome smell of the lobby, hallway & the rooms

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Stay here for 4 nights with family after reading extensively previous positive reviews on Trip Advisor and also feedback from colleauges who have stayed here. I must agreed with all others that this hotel deserves all the accolades it has received so far. Lobby is gorgeous and can best be appreciated at nights and also during Sunday's brunch when a live orchestra plays beautiful classical music.

Only shame is hotel lacks a high floor bar/restaurant to take in the City view or the Bund at night. One other improvement that it can use is better insulation of the individual shower stalls in the bathroom to prevent water splash from leaking out and wetting the marble floor( hence a safety hazard as one can easily slip/fall if not careful).

Highest marks must go to all hotel staff, especially the Concierge desk headed by Ken X. He and his crew went above/beyond to help us feel at home- from arranging private piano practice time/space for my two sons who are both high caliber pianists, to spending countless hours reviewing surveillance tape to trackdown whereabouts of my missing camcorder off a taxicab, to answering numerous questions for locations/hours on shopping/dining establishments. I think their relentless pursuit of the highest quality service possible makes our stay a truly 5 Star experience.

Must also give very high marks to a gorgeous pool with swimming lanes on the 3rd floor which my family and I have enjoyed it immensely during the length of our stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family