“Incredible Buffet and Great Location”

Ranked #35 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong
“Incredible Buffet and Great Location”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Subway line and view of the Bund are both about a 10 minute walk away. We've been to many Starwood properties over the years and this probably had the best breakfast buffet we've had at any of them. A huge range of Western and Asian options, with prompt coffee and tea service. The pool was adequate size and wasn't used by many other guests while we were there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
WestinShanghai, General Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear WadeHongKong,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience with our friends on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you and your family had a renewing stay with us and appreciated our location and extensive breakfast offerings. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay with us as well as in many other Starwood properties. We hope that you will again stay at The Westin Bund Center on your future visits to Shanghai. Wishing you safe travels and stay well.

The Westin Bund Center Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in Westin Bund for three nights. It's a great hotel and we had a great stay. I used my Suite Night awards for upgrade and got a corner suite with the view of the Bund, Shanghai skyline, Pearl tower from bedroom, living room, and bathroom. This by itself made the trip for my wife, which in turn made me quite happy.
Customer service was also exceptional. The manager Jordan was very helpful regarding access to club lounge. We were treated great.
One very disappointing aspect I found was the lack of English fluency at concierge desk or guest services. They are very helpful but majority could not understand what we were asking, whether it was restaurant recommendation or directions to some place. But we expected some difficulties on this front so overall it did not affect our trip.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear unamtraveler,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience with our friends on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you and your wife had a wonderful and renewing stay with us. I have shared your feedback with the team and they too are as pleased to read your review as I am especially Jordan. Nevertheless, we are disappointed to hear that your experience had not been a most fulfilling one and we sincerely apologize for the shortfall that you have encountered in regard to English proficiency at our Front Desk. We will certainly ensure continuous English training sessions are conducted to improve on our associates’ shortcomings.

We look forward to welcome you and your wife back again in your next Shanghai encounter. Safe travels and stay well.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I recently completed a stay at this hotel and all I can say in one word is --- fantastic!

The property is immaculate, the rooms are large and well-appointed, the dining options are wonderful and very good, and so are the workout facilities with pool. I didn't use the spa but I can only imagine that it too is way above average.

The staff were very nice and helpful throughout my stay. I also looked forward to the morning buffet breakfast which was amazing in its variety from standard American fare to Asian dim sum and other choices. While the buffet price may seem high to some, for the quality and variety of food provided, I highly recommend the buffet. Better yet, when booking your room, it may prove to be a better deal to reserve a room with the buffet included. I didn't but would do so in the future if that option is available.

As others have mentioned, the location is excellent whether walking over to the Bund or going to sites within central Shanghai. Even going across to the Pudong side was easy. The nearest metro station is a few blocks away and I found it to be the way to go instead of using taxis. While taxis are inexpensive, taking the metro meant avoiding street-level traffic.

I highly recommend staying at the Westin Bund Center!

Room Tip: I had a corner room which was great with all of the light shining through the windows in the living...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
WestinShanghai, General Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear agemini15,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us. The team and I are both humbled and delighted to read your review and for giving us a full score. We are glad that your stay with us was renewing and memorable. We also thank you for recommending us to others and hope to welcome you back soon to The Westin Bund Center Shanghai. Wishing you safe travels and stay well.

The Westin Bund Center, Shanghai
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We did so much sightseeing, my wife and I didn't get to appreciate all the beauty and amenities this hotel had to offer. Room and hotel overall was super clean and well maintained. Wish we had a day just to relax and enjoy it all. Only gripe is the outrageous cost of breakfast/brunch service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mkurze,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience with our friends on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you appreciate our hotel and its facilities. Nevertheless, we are disappointed to hear that your experience had not been a most fulfilling one. We hope that the prices of our buffet breakfast and popular Sunday Brunch will not deter you from staying with us in the future. Wishing you safe travels and hope that we will welcome you back again in your next Shanghai encounter. Stay well.

Brisbane
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed here for mainly business. I found the hotel and its staff excellent, very helpful. Their knowledge of what was on offer in the local area was superb and they recommended some excellent places to visit.
The room was great, large enough and very comfortable. I would definitely return here on my next business trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WestinShanghai, General Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear kham27,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your wonderful stay with us. I am truly delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our spacious room and enjoyed our service. I have shared your feedback with the team and they too are as honored as I am to read your review. We are also thrilled to know that you will be staying with us again on your next business trip. Do please feel free to let us know if we can be of any assistance to make your next stay even better.

We look forward to welcoming you back to renew your experience at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai. Wishing you safe travels and stay well.

Singapore
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This hotel is right in the heart of Shanghai. Minutes of walking to the Bund. It is about 1 hour drive from the international airport to the hotel.
It is a 5 star hotel, nice gym, indoor swimming pool, and very good restaurant and bar.
The room is really nice and clean. Good king sized bed. Nice bathtub, and shower facilities. It is always kept in tiptop condition and really clean.
The view from the room is also fantastic.
The only thing that went wrong was the air conditioner unit. On the 1st night, I was not able to adjust the temperature and it was stuck at 25 C. The 2nd night, I can't control the temperature again, but it was stuck at 18 C.
Otherwise overall it is fantastic

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear LTJ71,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with our friends on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. However, we are disappointed to know that your experience had not been most fulfilling as you encountered technical issues in regard to our air conditioning system. We would very much appreciate if you are able to let us know your room number during your last stay via email at DutyManager-shanghai@westin.com as this would help us rectify the matter.

LTJ71, we truly apologize for our shortfall and hope that the incident would not stop you from staying with us again. Please do feel free to contact us via the given email address should you have plans to travel to Shanghai again. We would be happy to assist to ensure that your next stay is even better. Wishing you safe travels and stay well.

Victoria
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed here with a group in mid-April for a week and was not disappointed in any aspect of my stay. The hotel was located about a half hour's drive from the airport, but within five minutes' walk from the Bund - what a bonus! Before getting there, I'll describe the hotel itself.

The lobby was ultra-modern and very well decorated, featuring a central feature stairway that lit up and changed colours at night. Both the check-in desk and concierge desk were quite helpful in dealing with any questions we had and seemed well trained. The breakfast room was adequately sized on the back of the lobby and had a huge array of food to choose from - the mango and rice puddings were a favourite - which was included in our stay. There was also a nice cafe off the side that had good mochas and americanos in the morning.

The rooms were also quite modern and very nicely decorated; ours had a view of the Bund from the 23rd floor. The rainforest shower and marble everything in the bathroom was quite enjoyable, and the large soaker tub was nice to relax at the end of the day. The beds were very comfortable and the room featured a modern TV and wi-fi internet free of charge (thanks in no small part to the Starwood Preferred Guest program, I suspect).

The highlight of the stay for us was that my roommate's birthday was during our trip. Without prompting, the Westin arranged for a cake to be sent up to the room so he could celebrate. This kind of service is what everyone hopes for from a top-notch hotel and we were very impressed at this gesture.

The location, as mentioned earlier, is very central, with the Bund a couple of blocks away. There was also a good selection of restaurants and nightlife in the neighbourhood, and you can take the ferry across the river for RMB2 to go to the ultramodern towers of Pudong. There is convenient metro access a few blocks away to get around the city.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this hotel for anyone going to Shanghai, price being the one caveat. This truly is a five-star hotel!

Room Tip: The rooms ending in 01 will have a view of the Bund if above the 9th floor or so.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear FCAGENT,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us. The team and I are both humbled and delighted to read your review and for giving us a full score. We are glad that your stay with us was renewing and memorable especially for your roommate. I would also like to mention that complimentary WiFi is available to all hotel guests (not only SPG guests) throughout the hotel as we believe that most if not all would highly appreciate this free facility.

FCAGENT, we also thank you for recommending us to others and hope to welcome you back soon to The Westin Bund Center Shanghai. Safe travels and stay well.

The Westin Bund Center, Shanghai