“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #33 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Nj
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Heavenly beds, beautiful lobby, an fun happy hour bar. Wonderful breakfast buffet with genuinely good food- western and Asian. It is lovely eating breakfast in the lobby in big armchairs and nest to a pond. A really nice way to start a day of heavy sightseeing. Also only a few blocks to the Bund. We also walked to Nanjing Road- 6 safe blocks away. Great location and beautiful hotel.

1 Thank drivinggirl
WestinShanghai, General Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear drivinggirl,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you truly enjoyed our hotel facilities, breakfast offerings and location. We hope that you will once again make plans to visit Shanghai with your friends and look forward to welcoming you back to renew your experience at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai. Wishing you safe travels and stay well.

The Westin Bund Center Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed during the weekend and had buffet dinner at Cafe. Asked for Giner Tea to be served at the cafe as I wasn't feeling well but waiter said "No Ginger Tea in hotel", after much clarification, it finally came. After dinner, asked for a second cup to be sent up to my room, again, they said can't order for me, I have to go up to my room and call room service myself. When I got annoyed, they then sent but reminded me that it is chargeable. A lady called my room later and claimed to be the supervisor, asked if I have signed my bill at cafe and checked if that is my signature. I told them to check my registration form instead, i think they just wanted to double check my room number cos they had already asked me twice at the cafe. I then asked to speak to the Manager but the call never came.

Next morning, I went late for breakfast (at around 10.29am, I think), but was nicely stopped by the Restaurant Manager (sorry for not getting his name) and was then introduced to the Executive Lounge where I can have my breakfast. he is the only one I am impressed so far! Thank you!

Buffet quality and quantity is really fantastic, nice crowd, if not for the 'Ginger Tea story" I would have given an excellent score to this hotel!

By the way, was given a connecting room but was not being informed in advance upon check-in..may be it is a good idea to say so as no guest likes such surprises.

Overall nice hotel!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
WestinShanghai, General Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Randall T,

Thank you for having taken the time to provide us with your feedback. I am keenly interested in all feedback as it is our best guide on how we can improve our service and facilities.

As we take great pride in the usually high service standards, which are manifested in several awards we already won again this year, I was very concerned to learn that we failed to meet your expectations during this visit. In particular I was alarmed by the fact that our associates seemed to have lacked the necessary understanding to accommodate your very simple request for ginger tea which we have readily available seeing that we carry fresh ginger in our kitchens at all times as a necessary ingredient to many dishes. We will do our utmost to work with all our associates on their product knowledge and to bring up their interpersonal skills to the same level as our restaurant managers and in particular the manager who looked after you the next day at breakfast, who I assume was Daniel Walker, the manager for our Food and Beverage operations on our first floor.

Unfortunately at this stage I can only deeply apologize for the shortcomings and assure you that we will address all the constructive points you raised in your feedback.

I am obviously keen to explore any possibility of retaining you as a guest for the hotel and invite you to let me know in advance should you plan another trip to Shanghai so I can personally ensure that you will be well taken care of. I would also welcome the opportunity if you could spare the time to have a drink or coffee with me, so I can get to know you and to be able to personalize our service to you.

Mr. Tang, once again please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings and I do hope that we will get another chance to present ourselves in a much better way to you.

Feel free to contact me personally if I could be of any assistance for your future arrangements. I can be reached directly through andreas.trauttmansdorff@westin.com.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This was my 6th stay at the Westin Bund Hotel in Shanghai...and time after time it impresses me! This amazing stay in particular started off right when I got out of the taxi at the main entrance. I was traveling with a colleague (who also have stayed here many times), instantly the bell boy recognized us both by name and welcomed us back to the hotel. These guys must see hundreds of people everyday let alone remembering 2 guests whose last stay was in October. Right away we felt at home and relaxed!

As we are both SPG Platinum members, we were upgraded to their amazing Jr. Suites. I had also sent a DHL package a week earlier for my business meetings and both my luggage and package was delivered to my room within 5 minutes. I didn't even have to ask the Concierge to track the package...they had it waiting for me upon arrival. The service at this hotel is unbelievable!!!

During this trip, I stayed here the last 4 days out of a 14 day business trip. It was the perfect place to end a 2 week long work trip. I always love staying at the Westin Hotels...the beds are amazing, the white tea scent is relaxing, the shower is incredible, the breakfast is great and the customer service is beyond expectations!

If you are ever in Shanghai, you must stay here! it's also within a 10 minute walk to Nanjing Rd East...which is fantastic for shopping and close to the Bund. There's a Starbucks connected to the hotel and I didn't have any problems getting a taxi during rush hour!

The Westin Bund Hotel truly strives to be your home away from home. I will never stay at another hotel in Shanghai!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the Grand Tower...it's brighter and modern!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Express T
WestinShanghai, General Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Express T,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us. The team and I are both humbled and delighted to read your review and for giving us a full score. We are very happy to know that you have truly enjoyed your stay and that our concierge team made it even more memorable. Indeed our Grand Tower rooms are brighter and modern however, I am pleased to inform you that we will soon be embarking on a project to renovate our rooms in Crown Tower whereby we will de-clatter the room, install a media hub for best possible connectivity to work and play, provide a much better set up for both work and leisure and replace all beds with the latest Heavenly Bed. The new room product will be still classical but brand new and trust that many if not all our guests will enjoy and appreciate.

Express T, as our valuable SPG member, we also appreciate you for recommending us to others. Do please let us know if we can be of any assistance to make your next stay even better. Stay well and we hope to welcome you back soon.

The Westin Bund Center, Shanghai
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed 10 nights at the Westin for a school trip. It was a truly excellent hotel in every sense; it lives up to its 5 stars and to the Westin brand.

The lobby is huge, maybe to big and sometimes crowded, more like an upscale airport than a hotel. On the other hand, it's a welcoming and happening place -a nice place to come to after a cold walk in the city. Service was excellent; the concierges and front desk people were extremely helpful.

My room was big and full of light. The granite bathroom was very confortable, with separate bathtub and shower. The Heavenly Bed was as comfortable as usual -which is great.

The location is not perfect but is good enough: walking, it's 5 minutes from The Bund (spectacular), 5 minutes from Nanjing Road and 10-15 minutes to People's Square and its museums.

Last but not least, the buffet breakfast was among the best I ever had. It's probably expensive (I didn't pay for it) but it was excellent in quality and variety.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WestinShanghai, General Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear MartinAdrogué,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience January with our friends on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that our service, room and buffet breakfast have made your stay memorable. I have shared your feedback with the team and they too are as pleased to read your review as I am. We hope that you will stay with us again in your next Shanghai encounter. Wishing you safe travels and stay well.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2013

A really enjoyable 3 night stay with the best of Shanghai at your doorstep.

Room: extremely comfortable, huge beds, fab pillows and a great, great 'rainforest' shower - with plenty of room move and enjoy it! (Britain - this is how showers and beds are done, OK?).

Staff: Reception staff were delightful - always enthusiastic and a minimal amount of 'lost in translation'. Always sent me off with a card which itemised for taxidrivers where I wanted to go and where to send me home! Any gaps were fabulously well filled in by Restaurant Manager, Englishman (I think an earlier review named him) Daniel. Gave some great advice on initial orientation of Shanghai with "hop on hop off" bus - and was a delight to chat to.

Food: we breakfasted royally. Everything you could want from the breakfast spread including some delicious Chinese surprises on that section of the buffet.

Lobby Bar: my husband was at a conference at the hotel so I spent a number of occasions waiting to meet him in the 'island' bar. Pleasant place to people watch.

A really enjoyable visit and the perfect place to 'start' when visiting Shanghai. It's really a 4.5 star for me but having stayed at the exceptionally fabulous Puli for 2 days after, it'll have to settle for a 4 star rating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue W
Dear Sue W,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience with our friends on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you appreciate our room, lobby bar, extensive buffet breakfast offering and have enjoyed our service. I have shared your feedback with the team and they too are as pleased to read your review as I am. Similarly, Daniel Walker, our restaurant manager is also delighted to hear that you’ve enjoyed his advice.

Sue W, we are disappointed to hear that your experience had not been a most fulfilling one. Indeed, Puli is a fabulous hotel in the Jing’an area. Perhaps on your next visit, we could change your mind as The Westin Bund Center Shanghai will soon embark on a project to renovate our rooms in Crown Tower, our lobby, The Stage restaurant, and our meeting rooms that everyone will most certainly enjoy and appreciate even more. We will announce via our hotel website of the official renovation dates and will provide continuous updates. We look forward to welcoming you back to renew your experience at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai. Safe travels to you and stay well.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had a nice stay at the Westin Bund Centre. We chose it due to its location as it is only 3 blocks down Guangdong Lu straight down to the Bund. We booked online and arrived at about 9am in the morning to be surprised that our room was ready for us. We chose to stay in a Crown Studio Room (non smoking). Non smoking rooms are hard to come by and we had missed out on the Executive Deluxe room as did not book early enough. The room was clean, spacious and pleasant. The famous heavenly bed felt harder than elsewhere. Would have preferred if the couch by the window was a regular couch which was more contemporary. Complimentary bottled water a nice touch. Breakfast is served in the restaurant by the lobby and there was a good selection of eastern and western food. The staff were friendly with varying degrees of English. Dinner (Chinese wonton noodle soup) in the restaurant was average. The doorman, reception and cleaners were friendly and helpful. Wifi worked fine in the room, although our skype sessions were interrupted several times. The Banyan Tree shop had nice souvenirs that were not kitsch. Rain umbrellas are available in the room and from the concierge which was helpful. The Westin's asset is its great location, friendly staff and the Starwood consistency in delivery. It made our limited time in Shanghai very enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinShanghai, General Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear lifeanddesire,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience with our friends on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and also appreciate you for providing us with constructive feedback. We would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we will soon be embarking on a project to renovate our rooms in Crown Tower whereby we will de-clatter the room, install a media hub for best possible connectivity to work and play, provide a much better set up for both work and leisure and replace all beds with the latest Heavenly Bed. The new room product will be still classical but brand new and trust that many if not all our guests will enjoy and appreciate. We will announce via our hotel website of the official renovation dates and will provide continuous updates online.

Meanwhile, we look forward to welcoming you back again in your next Shanghai encounter. Safe travels and stay well.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed in the Crown Tower for 8 nights in early April. The staff was extremely accomodating and made sure that my requests were all met. In particular, Daniel Walker, the amiable restaurant manager went the extra mile. When he asked how breakfast was we complained about the coffee. Not only did he personally prepare a perfect latte he made sure the equipment was immediately fixed. His service extended beyond the restaurant with well thought out dining and local sightseeing suggestions. Other reviewers have mentioned that the hotel is a bit tired. There is a significant renovation planned for this summer. The room was quite large, very quiet and the bedding was exceptionally comfortable. They even rolled out the red carpet. Alas it was for the President of Peru but I was treated like royalty.

Dear Barby2415,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with our friends on TripAdvisor. The team and I are humbled and delighted to have read your wonderful review and receive a full score.

I am also glad to hear that Daniel Walker, our restaurant manager made it even more memorable for you. I will be sharing your feedback with the team today as I am sure that they too will be as honored to read your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to renew your experience at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai. We wish you safe travels and stay well.