“Work and play in Shanghai”

Ranked #33 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Work and play in Shanghai”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The Westin Bund is a fantastic hotel for business travelers. The rooms are small, but fortunately there is much to see in Shanghai so you won't spend much time inside!
Service is prompt, friendly, and accommodating. The room service never took longer than promised and was always the perfect temperature. Housekeepers are frequently in and out of the room for turn down service, refreshing bottled water, removing room service, etc. At times I thought I was crazy as something I had left unfolded on the floor would be folded on the chair when I returned!
I stayed over a weekend so was able to enjoy both the spa and the exercise facility. WOW! The spa is very relaxing, most packages include a "Relax time" in addition to the massage. This consisted of a lovely wind down with hot tea, fruit, and yogurt. Enjoyed in peace in one of the treatment rooms.
The gym is not exactly the best lay out as the cardio equip is down stairs, then the weights are upstairs. No big deal though. Just hard to do intervals and supersets. Oh well. They have a studio with stability balls and ballet bars. I LOVED being able to replicate my Pure Barre routine in there. Did not expect to be able to do that!
Notably - I left my passport in the safe when I checked out. When I returned to retrive it I was of course in a massive hurry as my flight was leaving soon. The bellmen were very fast in getting it for me and were sensitive to my time shortage. The concierge grabbed me the first taxi he could, expressed my situation, and the driver was able to get me to the train in record time! I'm certain without the concierge's help I would have had a much longer trip back.

A note for the ladies about the bathrooms -- bad lighting! The side lights worked only periodically. Meaning the only light was from above and we all know that's not flattering.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WestinShanghai, General Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Martyo624,

Thank you for choosing us and taking your time to share your feedback after your recent stay with us. It’s our passion to nurture your mind, body and soul – hence it’s delightful to hear that you’ve enjoyed our workout & spa.

Majority of our rooms are Studio’s with separate living room and bedroom and come at a small premium price of 60 USD per night, which you might enjoy more in one of your future stays. In the meanwhile, it is delightful to learn that our service level and location of the Hotel have enhanced your stay experience in Shanghai, and we certainly anticipate our next opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Bund Center Shanghai.

Yours Sincerely,
Andreas Trauttmansdorff
The Westin Bund Center Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Columbus, OH
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I was in Shanghai for a week on business and couldnot be more pleased with this hotel. The multi-lingual staff were very friendly and went out of their way to meet your needs. In fact, on arrival the taxi driver didn't have change for my fare so the bellman went inside and got smaller bills for me without me asking him to do so.

The room was a nice size and very clean. The rainfall style shower and deep soaking tub were pleasant surprises. There's no need to purchase bottled water because the room had at least 6 bottles at all times and extra on request.

The restaurants provided a variety of cuisines. Room service was also exceptional and always beat their delivery times. Being in the preferred guest program got me a discount at the Italian restaurant.

The location was perfect for me - it was only two blocks from my office and a couple more blocks to Nanjing Rd where great shopping and restaurants are located. Of course, the Bund is right around the corner. Even as a female i never felt uncomfortable walking around alone. When you need them, taxis are easy to come by so going to other great sites like Yu Garden, Yu Yuan shopping area and People's Square is quick and cheap.

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear jch01,

Thank you for having spent your business trip with us and shared your experience with our friends at tripadvisor.com. We are delighted that your stay, the hotel and the service delivered have entirely fulfilled your expectations and have shared your comments with all our Team members. We are also humbled to have been rated so high by your kind self.

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Wishing you heavenly & safe travels.

Yours Sincerely,
Andreas Trauttmansdorff
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed here a lot for business and have only good things to say. Good rooms and staff. The breakfast area is open so nice atmosphere for pleasure and business. There are two towers. One is for a certain level of Starwood members or something, I've stayed at both, but they are basically the same. The spa is very nice but a bit expensive so if you are there for the first time, I would venture outside and fine places for a fraction of the Westin price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here on business with two colleagues. It was the wrap up of a week long Asia tour. we arrived at about 5PM on a Saturday. The check-in was excellent. Two of us got upgrades to suites. Rooms and service were top notch.

Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I am so happy we stayed her during a portion of our travel in China. The hotel had the comfortable accommodations and helpful staff that we always find at Westins but the food was truly spectacular! We had been traveling in some remote locations and were looking forward to food that was more familiar to us. A few days into our stay we were informed of Sunday brunch the next morning. I'm so happy we didn't miss it.

The food included the best of Chinese and other Asian dishes, as well as European and American styled breakfast and lunch items. There were fresh omelette, pancakes, creeps and waffles being made and there was a wonderful array of fresh fruits from all over the world.

Additionally, we received some extras upon arrival, including free cocktails on our first night, half price spa treatments and an upgraded room.

Although we have travelled a great deal, traveling in China can be a varsity level event because there are so many dialects spoken. We witnessed our Chinese business associates having trouble communicating with the taxi drivers, etc.

To help with this problem the staff will offer to hand write cards for you so that you can give these to the drivers. They will also explain to you when your driver should and should not use the toll roads and how that will affect pricing, etc. We have never needed this type of assistance in other country but it was very helpful in China.

The beds, sheets and towels are "American" in size and feel, which was nice.

We felt like it was a great value and enjoyed the staircase show in the bar...

Room Tip: We had a non smoking room in the left tower. We did not smell any smoke throughout that entire port...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Rochester
Reviewed September 19, 2012

So much of the hotel and staff is really, really good but the negatives just don't allow me to give it a five. Arriving late in the evening after a taxi from Pudong (taxi driver decided not to give me change 25 rmb "tip") we had our luggage swept away and led to the check-in. We are Gold so we were upgraded to a high floor with a view of the Bund/Pudong and Nanjing Lu. This and the check-in process was very good. We entered the room and were very favorably impressed. A suite with a separate entry/desk area and a bedroom/bath. Very modern clean lines. A really nice room. So we are still on the 5 side of the review. The negatives then start to hit. The estetics of the room is great but the functionality is poor.
The bathroom while beautiful is functionally terrible. The sink while pretty spills over when the water is turned on full. The bath tub while a stand alone tub has no place to even put soap. The toilet closet has frosted glass half way up. While married it leads to no privacy. Also who puts a full length mirror in a toilet closet (4' by 8').
The work desk is ok but the outlets (2) are not enough for work. Last the water boiler has the shortest cable ever.
On the first night the turn down service was "do you want ice". We complained and thereafter got a complete turndown service. The concierge was mixed. The experienced real concierge was very good but the support concierge was no help.
The last issue is taxis. You would think you could get a taxi easily in Shanghai. Actually you can if you are on the street. However at the taxi stand the taxis come very infrequently. It would be nice if the hotel had a sign saying taxi out front. If they can't afford that then have the people outside stand on the street and call one. Well one other last issue is staff. There is alot of staff in the lobby/outside many with clipboards. I have no idea what they do but they do not help the customers as best I can tell.
So what else was great. Check out was fast and our bags were wisked away into a taxi for the airport. Towels and bathrobes. Housekeeper after the initial turndown issue. Hotel lobby was beautiful.
So I will definitely come back, the bads don't outweigh the goods/greats. A great location and hotel in Puxi

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, VA
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We recently spent a week in Shanghai at the Westin Bund Center and, as a Starwood Platinum level SPG, they really took care of us. My room was upgraded to a small suite with a living room and welcome fruit basket. In addition, there were always plenty of bottles of water - I think at least 6 after every cleaning. In addition, the Executive Lounge has a decent breakfast and a beautiful view of the Haungpu River and Pudong. The health club is spacious and while not the most modern, has plenty of cardio and weight equipment. There is also an excellent pool if you are a swimmer.

We ate at a number of the restaurants in the hotel, including the Stage (cafe in the lobby) and EEST, an Asian style meal. Both were decent.

All in all, the experience was excellent and the location was convenient, being a few blocks from the East Nanjing road Metro station.