“Excellent hotel, fantastic service”

The Westin Bund Center Shanghai
Ranked #45 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I stayed at the Westin Bund for a business trip and had a fantastic stay. The rooms are very clean, tastefully designed, and have a very modern design. The bathrooms are beautiful and and equipped with soaker tubs, a nice touch. I loved the accomodations.
I was particularly impressed by the high level of service that I received at this hotel. I have severe allergies to certain foods, and the management of the hotel were extremely helpful in ensuring that I could eat safely at the hotel. They went well above and beyond my expectations - they advised the restaurant chefs prior to my arrival. The associate director of food/beverage greeted me upon arrival and provided his cell number and availability to me at any time for any food or allergy concerns/needs that I had. I had a few encounters with restaurant staff that did not speak english fluently during muy stay, but I was able to navigate any issues by contacting the restaurant managers on duty.
I also received impeccable service from the concierge, who were extremely helpful with directions and recommendations. They even helped me communicate about alterations with a clothing seamstress/tailor from whom I had purchased some apparel from.
I was blown away by the service and wonderful, comfortable stay I had at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Beautiful accommodations just 2 blocks - easy walk - to the bund. Plenty of space in the Deluxe room, with King, and deep bath tub with separate shower and separate toilet stall. Excellent on-site eateries including a deli, dim sum weekend brunch buffet, Italian restaurant, snazzy lobby bar with pian music, and much much more. Has to be THE best breakfast buffet I've experienced. Some of the highlights: traditional Chinese foods which are not greasy at all, or traditional Western faire which was very fresh, great assortment of breads, delicious French pastries, serve yourself from the fresh-squeezed orange juice machine, plenty of fresh cut melons and fruits. The only down-side is the staff is not up to speed on tour information -- it's best you come prepared with info from the web.

Room Tip: use spg.com if you are a member, or Expedia had great deals too.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2011

A beautiful hotel. Typical dark wood colours in the rooms. Very clean with all the trimmings. Breakfast is fantastic and staff are very good. Some language barrier issues just like everywhere, but staff seem happy to be working here.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed July 25, 2011

After spending a few nights at the Sheraton in HK my next destination was the Westin in Shanghai, I chose the Westin to keep within the Starwood group as I'm an SPG Gold Member.

I made the booking at the last minute and got a pretty good rate and the check-in was easy.

The room was quite small, smaller than the Sheraton, and the cleanliness was to a lower standard, particularly the bathroom which had some water in the bath tub and holes in the bath robe. There also wasn't enough toilet paper and I had to call housekeeping.

The bed was very very comfortable!

Overall not to the standard I'd expect from a Westin.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Westin is well located near the Bund with great rooms – large bathtub, good size lounge area and the Westin heavenly bed. Views toward the Bund from some rooms. There is a Starbucks in the lobby of the office building, connected to the hotel –very handy. Staff speak good English and are very helpful with taxis.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2011

This is a superb property located right at the heart of Shanghai City Center. 3 minutes walk and you are at the bund. 5 minutes walk in another direction and you are at Nanjing Road. 5-10 minutes walk will take you to two different MRT stations. You can even take a leisure walk (20 minutes or so) to Yu Yuan Garden.

Take a club room (but i think other rooms are pretty good as well). Mine was a corner room so you have a L shape window giving you a wider city view. The bathroom is enormous and relaxing at the bathtub enjoying the day or night scene is nice. However, there is really nothing much to shout about on the city view. The rooms are of westin standard, nothing short. Great breakfast at the ground floor but the choices are rather limited at the Club Lounge. Evening cocktails at the Club Lounge is very good, and the food is good enough even for dinner.

I find service standards in most establishments in Shanghai to be mediocre at best, and same goes to this hotel. Check in was fast, but service was cold.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Great room, good location, really good club. Brunch is impressive.

Room Tip: Never let the bellman go until you are satisfied with your room
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple