All reviewsfrench concessionjapanese breakfasthuaihai roadart decostaff speakmain shoppingstar hotelcity viewbars and restaurantsbusiness tripenjoyed my staylobby areahotel is in a great locationrooms are cleanthe ground floorspent nightsmetro station
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel was centrally located and in front of a big garden. Excellent service, immaculately clean room, centrally located and closed to where all the activities were. Beautifully-crafted architecture covered the hotel facade.

Easy walking distance to some very good western restaurants and bars. Subway station was nearby. A short taxi ride could bring you to almost anywhere in Shanghai.

Our clean and spacious room offered a panoramic view into the heart of Shanghai. The ambience of the hotel exuded a mixture of European and Japanese culture and feel. Overall, it was a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank explore2000
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Nice Clean Hotel in Ok area, lacks WIFI in Room, kind of old style but still clean and fresh. Is probably 15-20 years old. But Like I said still in nice shape. Beds are hard but ok. Sazanka Restaurant (Teppanyaki) upstairs kind of disappiontment. Orderd Shrimp and Scallops Dish, 1 shrimp 1 Scallop (Small) NOT appetizer, then they charge 600 RMB extra for just seating ??!!! for 4 persons so I paid 432 RMB (80 USD) for 1 Shrimp and 1 Scallop and some vegetables. Go around the corner insead were there are sevral great Japnese with nice big Toro steaks for less.
Its a pity as my Favourite restaurant in the world is Sazanka at Okura in Amsterdam. The skybar also is full of smokers wich make it smell like you know what. Go for Park Hyatt if you want a nice hotel in Shanghai or Les suites.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I had reserved a normal double room but decided to upgrade to a suite, ie bedroom plus living room and bathroom. The Japanese receptionist handled my request very well and efficiently and I thought the price for the upgrade was reasonable. The concierge desk at the Okura is exceptionally well run, particularly bearing in mind that they are far more than luggage handlers, but handle the taxi organisation and restaurant bookings and such ancillary services.

This is in sharp contrast to the Chinese restaurant at the Okura where service is haphazard and suffers from the same lack of English language training that is so infuriating throughout all of Shanghai. The food is quite good however the service needs to be improved. Not so at the Japanese restaurant where both the food and service were excellent. However, the Okura is fantastically well placed in terms of exploring Shanghai's restaurants, being in the French Concession area. It is actually a better area than the Bund which also has a few good restaurants close by, however, a number of them are of the ultra haute cuisine variety. The Chinoise Story restaurant is just outside the Okura and is very good, but there is a huge choice of restaurants close by.

We had a stunning view from our room right across the garden of the hotel, so if the view is important to you ask for a garden facing room. The Japanese department store was not very interesting, quite a small choice. I made the mistake of buying mooncakes in the Japanese bakery which is not really reccommended. However, the cafe has a good choice of cakes.

One of the highlights of the room was the modern Japanese toilet which was brilliant I am thinking of installing one at home.

I sampled a massage which was OK, but here the hotel is a bit let down, the Spa is nowhere near the level of the Banyan Tree, but then few places are. The pool is just OK.

I thought the breakfast was very good indeed, a good chance to sample Japanese and Chinese varieties, however, the egg station is very well run too so westerners too will enjoy breakfast here. I like the general old world feel of the breakfast restaurant and the whole hotel.

Generally I really liked this hotel, the Japanese really manage it better than many other places and the location is fantastic. The concierge and reception are superb. If only service in the Chinese restaurant were a bit better.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite and get a garden facing room, the higher the better.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Very affordable and excellent hotel. Staffs are kind and helpful. I have to say the Japanese manage the hotel very well. Rooms are small but they've been well refurnished. There are more and more new hotels with super modern facilites appearing in nowaday Shanghai but for Okura garden Hotel,I am never gonna worried about the services here. I was very much satisfied.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
ypwang, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Okura Garden Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for choosing our hotel. Our hotel is always committed to offer the best service to our guest. We do appreciate your compliment. We hope you will choose our hotel during your next visit.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 5 days during some hot days in Shanghai. Set amongst some well-maintained gardens. The room was comfortable and well appointed. Staff were attentive, welcoming and spoke English well. The buffet breakfast was of a good quality offering Chinese and western food. The hotel is in a nice area of Shanghai, away from the hustle and bustle of the Bund (taxi about 25RMB) and not far from good restaurants and nightclubs in the French Concession area. Only complaint was that I was told that they charged to use the swimming pool and gym. This should have been complimentary for guests.

Room Tip: Stayed in a room overlooking the city rather than the gardens which was not a problem. Room was quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank hideho50

Thank you for choosing Okura Garden Hotel(shanghai). We do appreciate that you like our hotel. Now if you join our Okura club(free of charge), you can use the gym for free. Once again thank you for choosing our hotel, we are expecting for your next stay.