“Decrease of the service”
Review of Hilton Shanghai

Hilton Shanghai
Ranked #59 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Riyadh Province, Saudi Arabia
“Decrease of the service”
Reviewed December 12, 2010

I visited many times this hotel because of its location and fees. However, since few weeks, I've seen a decrease on the services provided especially about food at the lounge and wet area at the fitness club.

First, the evening cocktail food proposed at the lounge is not so good as previously with only fatty and oily hot dishes (puffed food - oily sausages - cheese croquettes and never grilled chicken - fish or grilled vegetables) which is not healty at all and impossible to eat whenever you take care of your diet. It it the same for breakfast (fatty potatoes - oily mushrooms and bacon and never vegetables or steam rice). By the way, you can't find anymore cut fruits and seasonnal dishes. I guess that it is to save the cost but I heard some guests complaining about the poor quality of this snack and junk food. When you stay only one or two night, it is fine. However, after 3 nights and even more after a week, you always eat outside, healthy food.

Second, wet area at the fitness club. Some guests (the one who pays the lowest rate are not allowed to experience sauna and steam bath which is strange for me. Besides, the Knipff shower (special one) does not work for one year roughly and is not fixed yet. Moreover, the door of the sauna stay open because you can't close it for more than 3 weeks and it seems that nobody care. Even though I asked the staff how we can enjoy a sauna with an open door, they did not react.

For the rooms and the service, it is good and Hilton is very lucky to get this central location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank caroline196862

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I was in Shanghai for tourism and stayed at the Hilton Shanghai for three nights in November 2010. I would recommend the hotel, but with a few caveats.

Location: Very good. The Jing'An temple is a 5-minute walk from the hotel, however other than that all the main tourist attractions are in different areas of the city. There is a subway station within a 5-minute walk (across from the Temple), and it was easy to navigate and cheap (the most expensive subway fare I had while going to tourist stuff was 4 yuan). There isn't much going on in the area around the hotel, but this also means that it's relatively quiet. However, it was a quick cab-ride to a couple clubs, and there seemed to be a very vibrant night-life district not too far - the cab ride shouldn't set you back more than 20 yuan.

Service: Very good. Check-in was busy when I arrived, however another staff member promptly arrived when she saw me waiting and checked me in. Check-out was extremely fast. Concierge service was friendly and helpful in providing advice and directions. Overall, the staff were very courteous.

Room: I had a non-smoking room and found it OK. It had a king-size bed, sofa, desk, TV, and, of course, washroom. Two complimentary bottles of water were provided each day. The room itself is a little dated in its decor. The TV is flat-screen, however there is no iPod dock to play music. Washroom was also a little tired, and there were visible signs of some water damage to the door and wooden frame around it, but these were minor and (to me) not a big deal.

Sleep Quality: The King-size bed was on the firm side - extremely comfortable, and lots of pillows.

Cleanliness: Good - the room was clean.

Value: Rack rates for this hotel were about $190-200 USD per night, including taxes. I wouldn't pay that much for this hotel. If you are able to get a discounted rate, I would recommend it, however there seemed to be ample choice of hotels in Shanghai, many of them more modern for the same, or even cheaper, price.

Conclusion: By no means did I find the Hilton to be a 'bad' hotel; I enjoyed my stay with them and had good service and a good room. Some sites rate this as a 5-star hotel, which this definitely is not by North American standards - I'd give it a 4 - max. For the standard rates they charge, you can find a better location and a more modern hotel.

1 Thank WanderingRaccoon
HiltonShanghai, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, December 12, 2010

Thank you very much for writing us a review on Tripadvisor.

The comments were very constructive and fair. Some of our facilities may be old but the magic is in our Hilton people.

Beijing
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I stayed in Hilton Shanghai for one night. I was very satisfied with the hotel despite it’s nothing special. The rooms are nice and the staff is friendly but I would prefer Ritz Carlton in Shanghai. More value for money.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
HiltonShanghai, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, December 9, 2010

Thank you very much for writing us a review on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon. As always, we would like to make your future stay more comfortable and interesting. Some of our facilities can be dated after many years of operation but the magic is in our Hilton People.

Several renovation and refurbishment are in the pipeline, we have the best hotel loyalty programme. We hope to see you back soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 6, 2010

It has taken me quite a while to get over my terrible experience staying at the Hilton in Shanghai

I was forced to stay there as a result of a change in the company's travel policy

I'd flown in late night and had specifically booked a non smoking king size bed room. At 1 am, I was offered a smoking twin bed. When asked to honor my booking, I was rudely informed that the hotel had never confirmed the room type so I should pretty much take what I was being given as the hotel was completely full. When I in turn offered to walk out to another hotel, I was grudgingly offered a smoking king size bed room by the extremely sullen reception desk staff

I was then led to what I think was the worst room I'd seen in over 20 years of travel. It was a dimly lit room with no work station/desk and just a stone top table in the center. No chair, no power points. By now I was about to walk out and when I called to complain, magically another room was made available. This time, a proper room with a work station and a king bed but still a smoking room. By now, it was 2 am and I had to get to an 8 am meeting so I gave up

The next morning was a bit better. I went to the desk to check out and a very pleasant lady informed me that they would change me to a non smoking room that I'd booked. On my return, I found a much better room on the 27th floor and that was the end of the room drama

The last room was comfortable. The bed was fine and the bathroom worked well. The Internet speed is ok and as travellers to China know, most sites wont really load well.

I tried the Chinese restaurant which was ok and had breakfast at the lobby restaurant which was fairly decent.

The sullen staff came into the picture again at check out time. I had an early morning flight to take and with just one person ahead of me, it took me 30 minutes to check out

I did read the reviews before of how the hotel was dated and from my experience, the rooms are hugely hit and miss. I would guess that the higher floor rooms are probably acceptable

But what is unacceptable is the absolutely sullen service by the front desk

Given a choice, I simply would not stay here

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Adesitraveller

Thank you very much for writing us a review on Tripadvisor.

We are sorry that your recent stay was an unqualified success.

We certainly realize that you have many choices but obviously we failed to live up to both your and our standards. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences this may have caused you and the rest assured that this will be a topic of discussion among our people concerned.

It is our hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you again. Please contact me directly for your future stay.

San Diego, CA
Reviewed December 4, 2010

I just checked out of the the hotel today, and I can't say enough about how nice my stay was. I've been to Shanghai several times before and stayed at various other Western business hotels (Westin, Grand Hyatt, ...) - this was by far the best. I stayed on the Executive level and the staff in the lounge is extremely helpful and friendly. They really made every effort to ensure my comfort. The maid service was also superb - delivering more bottled water when she saw I had a few guests arrive. Location is convenient, too.

Los Angeles
Reviewed December 3, 2010

I spent two nights at the Shanghai Hilton. It is about 2 long blocks away from the subway line 2. If you take the maglev, transfer to line 2 at the bottom of the maglev station and get off jing an temple. If you see the temple walk towards the opposite side of the temple. You should be able to see the Hilton sign from the subway station. The lobby was clean and up to date. There were a lot of people in the lobby when I arrived. I was immediately helped with my bags and the checkin went smoothly. The room I had was up to date with a LCD tv and was pretty spacious. Bathroom was clean and the only thing that looked out of date throughout the whole room was the hair dryer that hangs on the wall. The room was pretty quiet and did not hear any of my neighbors. The fitness center was very nice with a variety of weight machines and a indoor pool. Overall this is a nice place to stay and is only a few subway stops away from most atrractions.

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 11, 2010

good spacious room - great location.
GREAT concierge, who got us tickets for World Expo Shanghai 2010 (hotel staff went a day ahead and queued for us to get tix), tickets for acrobatics show at night (first row dead center), and dinner and brunch reservations at top spots in the City. T8 in Xintiandi (spot by the central open space kitchen) and Jean Georges on the Bund (booth w perfect view on room and the Bund). and all this for no fee whatsoever. FANTASTIC.
great level of service, very helpful staff. highly recommend it.
the spa is also out of this world. a must try.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank newyork_european
HiltonShanghai, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, November 16, 2010

Thank you very much for writing us a review on Tripadvisor.

It is gratifying to know that our Team Members were taking care of you during your recent stay while our overall service standard and facilities have reached your expectation.

We are the only hotel in Shanghai has 2 concierge staff holding 'gold keys' ( usually each hotel has 1, but as for our excellent service, we have been rewarded with 2. ) and I will make sure your comments will be shared among all of us and encourage in our future assignments.