We stayed at the Shanghai Hilton Hotel last weekend (17/01-19/01). It was the first Hilton property built on the Mainland and, hence, it has grandeur as well as, unfortunately, a "dated" atmosphere in some quarters. Certainly, there are some definite pluses: as HiltonHHonors members, we were given an upgrade to a "Panorama Room" and a 4pm checkout - very nice! The complimentary breakfast in the huge, wonderfully airy restaurant on the ground floor was superb with a cornucopia of delicious choices and attentive service. Other aspects of our stay, however, literally left a lot to be desired. Room service is far from being efficient. We ordered several items, one of which, upon arrival, hardly resembled what was written on the menu. Upon inquiring, we were told that the menu had been changed but were assured that the "changed" dish would not appear on our bill. Though a satisfactory solution, the problem should not happen in a 5 star hotel. Upon ordering, guests should be advised about what is no longer on the menu. In fact, room menus should be changed immediately to reflect changes in the kitchen. The hotel is in the process of being refurbished and some parts are really showing their age. A most annoying aspect of this is that whole areas of the hotel smell of smoke. Actually this is a very uncomfortable issue since guests are still allowed to smoke inside. Most unsatisfactory in today's world when the dangers of second hand smoke are clear. We had already paid for access to the Executive Lounge but this was far less impressive, in terms of food and drink, than at other Hilton properties at which we have stayed. Nonetheless, the architectural design, furnishings, and night view of the lounge itself are magnificent. 2 other aspects of our stay where we felt disappointed and which did not measure up to a usual "Hilton Experience" were attention to detail and general staff attitude. Though two guests were registered, the toiletries provided would not have been enough for one. This was so even after the room had been done on the Saturday. We had to phone to get more soap and shampoo. Some of the staff, at the Concierge and, unforgivably, in the Executive Lounge were rather lackadaisical. Not a hotel that I would wish to visit again in a hurry!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The recently refurbished Hilton Shanghai hotel towers impressively above the city's former French Concession and is located in the heart of Shanghai's business and entertainment districts. Within walking distance of Shanghai's exclusive shopping streets, Nanjing Xi Lu and Huaihai Lu, this prestigious Shanghai hotel is close to Shanghai attractions such as Jing'an Temple and Jing'an Park. Pudong International Airport is a 50-minute drive away and Hongqiao Airport is only 20 minutes from the hotel. Hold your next conference in one of the 18 meeting rooms or choose the elegant Grand Ballroom at this Shanghai hotel. All contemporary Hilton Shanghai hotel Guest Rooms offer a spacious work area, wireless Internet access and large windows offering views of the city. Choose and Executive Room for access to the 38th floor Executive Lounge. After a busy day, relax in the spa, enjoy a game of squash or work out in fitness center at the Hilton Shanghai hotel. Choose from one of the hotel's 8 restaurants and bars and Dine on fresh seafood at People on Water, the Ningbonese Chinese cuisine restaurant and enjoy views of the impressive Shanghai skyline from the level 39 Penthouse Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Hilton Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Shanghai Hotel Shanghai
- Hilton International Shanghai
- Shanghai Hilton International