“Comfortable stay, but slow WiFi”
Review of Hilton Shanghai

Hilton Shanghai
Ranked #57 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Melbourne
“Comfortable stay, but slow WiFi”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed here for five nights. The room was roomy enough, beds were comfortable and bathroom was adequate, not too small and not too big. Free bottles of water are replenished daily and tea & coffee facilities are available.

Breakfast is buffet style (hot and cold choices) with an egg as well as a noodle station and is in the atrium café which is really light, airy and relaxing.

We made use of room service once and it came fairly quickly, was well presented and tasted pretty good.

Staff are polite and friendly. My only gripe would be the WiFi. It was excruciatingly slow most of the time, they really need to sort it out because if one needs to work, one needs to be very patient.

Location wise, it is right in the French concession area which has loads of great cafes and restaurants and is a great place to just wander around during the day and in the evenings.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your detailed impressions of your stays with us. We truly appreciate your assessment on our service and facilities over repeated stays.

I am very pleased to hear that my colleagues have consistently served you well over your stays; however, your comments on the speed of wifi has been well-noted for our review.

My colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Until then, please feel free to contact me directly should you have any additional comments or questions.

Gerd Knaust

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel was great, the rooms are very nicely updated. I wish the hotel was a bit more centrally located to the shopping and active areas, I felt it was on the outskirts of the downtown area. the views were really nice if your on an upper floor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding your most recent stay with us. We are always trying to understand what our guests value most during their stays. I am grateful to know that you had an easy time communicating with my colleagues and that you enjoyed your time in your room.

I do also appreciate for your valuable comments on our hotel location and service part. Please know that I would welcome any additional comments you may have about your stay. Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Warm wishes,

Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 2, 2013

This lovely Hilton is located very centrally with spectacular views from the higher floors. We were there for three nights on a tour and found the hotel to be comfortable and welcoming. The breakfast buffet was excellent and varied, with international choices. The room was spacious and comfortable with a beautiful view of the lights of the city. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom well appointed. We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VOLUNTEERGIRL_68
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well on your journey onwards!

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to submit a review of your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your feedback as an important tool in our improvement and development. In particular, we are pleased to know what our guests value most. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my colleagues served you well during your stay as well as the central location of the hotel.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have any additional questions, comments or concerns, as I would be eager to assist. Otherwise, I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Neat clean hotel,as expected from the group. Rooms are well appointed and spacious, breakfast is great. My only gripe is the wifi connectivity,it's only available in the hotel lobby and the executive lounge on the 38th floor. To receive wifi in the rooms,one needs to pay around 150 rmb for 24 hour connectivity,I don't think this should be expected of such a major hotel group.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well on your journey onwards.

Thank you very much for your great comments on our hotel room and breakfast. However, as you mentioned the internet issue, your comments have been well-noted and will be shared with internet company as well as top management. We will be reviewing our internet offerings in the coming months and will certainly consider your notes for the room layout further.

Please feel free to contact us further with any additional comments of plans to return, as we would be grateful for another opportunity to serve you better.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Hilton Shanghai for 6 nights with our two younger kids (5 and 3) as my wife was here on business. It is an older property and was celebrating its 25th anniversary while we were there but has been through an extensive refurb since. The hotel is ostensibly a business hotel with executive suites that allow complimentary access to the Exec Lounge (free afternoon tea and pastries from 3-5pm and wine/beers from 6-8pm). You can also take breakfast up there and have bacon with a view but kids under 12 yrs old will not be allowed up at any stage.
Exec suites are fine with comparatively small bathrooms and mini bars stocked with your basics but nothing in the way of complimentary touches. Gym is large with modern equipment (12 treadmills and another 12 rowers,cross trainers,bikes etc). Good selection of weights.There is a pool,spa, tennis court and even a glass backed squash court for those business execs to let off steam from a hectic day of commerce in the city. Service was very good from start to finish and concierge is well drilled in helping with taxi translations (a must in Shanghai), restaurant bookings and tickets for events.
The hotel is about 5k/15 minute taxi ride from The Bund and its greatest location asset is being right next to the French Concession area and a plethora of restaurants and bars on your door step. All in all a good stay and circumstances dictated our family mixed it with the pin stripes but we left with favourable memories all the same.

Stayed October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time from your day to share your impressions of your most recent stay with us. We appreciate any and all feedback we can receive from our guests as a means for our improvement and better understanding what they value during their stays.

From your comments, I am pleased to hear that our location suits your visits well. Additionally, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our rooms and GYM in our property. Also you are satisfied with the service from our concierge team.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you have any additional comments. Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stay here regularly for business, the hotel is modern and comfortable having just gone through refurbishment. The rooms are well appointed, however I do advise asking to be located in a room away from the lifts as this can be a bit noisy. The restrauants are of good standard but slightly on the expensive side in my opinion. However It is well situated a short walk to the underground and Nanjing West road and the staff have always been very accommodating maintaining a good level of service and even going the extra mile, they even held aftershave and a laptop charger that I accidentally left behind, so I can not fault the service at all!
Heads up for those who intend to use the pool, for some bizzare reason they insist fabric style swimming caps are worn, it was explained this was to prevent hair in the filter however I would be very interested in hearing the logical explanation since hair is all over the body, some more than others! it was an off-putting experience since they wanted me to buy a cap (at reasonable expense I might add) or the alternative was using a used wet soggy fabric cap full of things I'd rather not describe here. Needless to say and sadly I never use the pool now.
Generally a pretty good place to stay!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms adjacent to the lift shaft.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

From your comments, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay mostly. Additionally, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our rooms and location of the property. However, your comments for the swimming cap issue has been noted.

sydney
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel earlier this year with my family. It was a very pleasant hotel with very good service and concierges. The staff had trouble speaking English but tried very hard to help. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well and that you are enjoying your time with us thus far!

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to submit a review of your stay. We truly appreciate any feedback we can get, so that we may recognize what our guests value most and how we may improve.

If you have any further comments to submit at the end of your stay, do not hesitate to contact me directly, as I would be eager to hear from you! Otherwise, enjoy the remainder of your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you back in the future!