“My Home Away from Home in Shanghai”
Review of Hilton Shanghai

Hilton Shanghai
Ranked #62 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was my second stay at the Hilton Shanghai in Jing'An, and I like it even more than before. First of all, the location is ideal. Getting to and from Shanghai's main International airport is ultra convenient. Just hop on a Number 2 shuttle bus a few steps away from the Baggage Claim area, and in about 45 minutes, you will arrive at the Jing'An Temple bus terminal. From there, the Hilton is about a 5 minute walk.

Check-in was a breeze. I was directed to the Executive Floor, and within 2 minutes, I checked into my room. The room was typical Hilton, with a fruit bowl, water and Ferraro chocolates, waiting for me. The king bed was very comfortable, and just what I needed after a 13-hour flight from the US. During my stay, I took advantage of the Executive Lounge for breakfast and late afternoon snacks, along with the fitness center. The food was excellent, and the exercise equipment was all brand new. It was a work-related trip for me, so having wi-fi throughout the hotel was absolutely necessary, along with the lobby bar/lounge, which basically served as a meeting room for me and my clients. The service throughout was excellent, and I appreciated the staff being bilingual, since my Chinese is not very good. I even received a cake in my room on my birthday (see photo). My only gripe is that the Bank of China ATM was out of order for most of my stay, so I ended up using an Ping An Bank ATM across the street, which promptly ate my ATM card.

I shall be working in Shanghai more often, and I can see no reason to switch to another hotel.

Room Tip: Corner room on the 32nd floor was quiet and had a nice view.
1  Thank jimboc
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your impressions of your most recent stays with us. We appreciate any and all comments our guests can offer, as we are eager to address areas where we may improve and recognize aspects of our guests’ stays that they value most.

From your comments, I am very pleased that our location has been convenient for you and that you enjoyed your room and other facilities throughout the hotel during your business trip. Furthermore, I am happy to hear your positive experiences with our Executive Lounge upon check-in and during service periods, especially in regards to our Team Members who helped you.

Still, your comments for the ATM have been well-noted. We will keep an eye on the state of our ATM and make sure to have prompt follow-up to return it into working condition.

Please know that I would be eager to hear from you directly should you have any additional comments, questions, or concerns. Otherwise, my colleagues and I hope to see you soon!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Good location is the only one reason I choose this hotel. Personally, I prefer the other three properties in Shanghai than this one. But due to the business reason, I find it really suffering that I have to stay this hotel once and once again.
No welcome drink and fruit in the room. Staff attitude was bad, esp. reception and executive lounge staff are arrogant so much that I never seen anywhere else. I guess they are local because they don't speak Chinese mandarin. Check in speed is quite fast, but I was told that the computer didn't work during check out. When I went down and check out at the reception, there is no special queue or staff for HH members even I told them I am a diamond member and my benefit should be guaranteed. During my stay, I called magic line a couple of times but with no answer! What! A line with no answer is called MAGIC. That's too MAGIC!

I don't care their old furnishing even when you want to take a shower, you have to jump into the bath first. But the service mind, motivation, passion of the staff in this hilton is too old as well, they think they have met all kinds of guests and they are about to get retired. This is the worst thing that their GM should consider.

Room Tip: the corner room is a little bigger than normal ones.
1  Thank jerhoo
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

My colleagues and I are always grateful to receive the feedback of our guests to know how we may focus our efforts in improving and understand what our guests value most during their stays with us. I am very disappointed to hear of your negative impression of my colleagues and our rooms, but your comments have been well-noted. We will re-assess all of the aspects of our service that you mention and hope that you find a positive change upon your return.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any additional comments, questions or concerns, as I would be eager to hear from you and see how I may arrange your future stays in advance. We look forward to serving you better in the future.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I used to stay in nearby swissotel and jc mandarin each time I visit shanghai and always avoided Hilton because the rooms were tired looking, old bulky furniture and in serious need of a makeover. Besides it was a further walk for me to my office. Since our office move last year and together with a few colleagues, we decided to stay in Hilton again. I have only decided to write a review now after 4-5 trips last year to be sure that it is really worth it and the service is consistent. I love the newly renovated room and the half of the new lifts. I also enjoyed the wide breakfast spread. Most of all, I love the fact that it is a short walk to the office and centralized enough for me to go to Jing an and Huai hai road to get my shopping fix! It is also nearby Xu jia hui area which is one of my FAVOURITE haunt!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stays with us. We are always pleased to know what our guests enjoy most during their stays, and your feedback is especially valued as you have stayed at other nearby accommodations and have been a frequent guest of ours.

Specifically, I am pleased that you have been impressed by our refurbishments and our breakfast offerings. However, I am most pleased to hear that we have been able to offer you consistently worthwhile service!

Please feel free to contact me directly should you have any additional comments or questions as I would be happy to hear from you. Otherwise, my colleagues and I hope to see you soon!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We first stayed in the Shanghai Hilton in 1989 and we last stayed there in 1990. We had returned to Shanghai numerous times, but did not return to the Hilton until this month (March 2013). As a Hilton gold member, we were upgraded to a higher floor (32nd) with use of the executive lounge that provides breakfast, afternoon tea and munchies around dinner. The room was comfortable. I believe its the same size as a regular room, but a higher floor. Good maid service and very nice maid. She deserved a few tips and we provided tips (don't be a mean cheapskate--always tip the maid). The concierge, Richard, has been at the hotel since its opening in 1987 and is VERY helpful and knows everything (he will retire in December). The Executive lounge is OK, but has a few issues. The breakfast is nothing particularly special. Standard fare. Most wait staff was helpful, but the man named "Peter" was rude and vulgar. At a minimum, he should be advised that Chinese guests and some foreigners do indeed speak Chinese and can understand his obscene comments about guests. On the morning of 3/16 (Saturday) he was asked by another wait person to deliver food to a rather heavy woman. He loudly complained about "Da Pee-Koo" ("the fat butt") so everyone within earshot who could understand any Chinese (which included us) was shocked. My wife (Chinese) said he ought to be fired and had no business working in a five star hotel. I agreed as he tends to serve guests with a sneer and bad attitude. Everyone else was helpful or at least "normal." The tea time means coffee in the afternoon (or tea) and don't expect much of anything else. The food put out in the evening might best be described as "bar food." But the cheap skates gobble it up! The hotel is located a short walk from popular and touristy Nanjing Road and a subway station (which means you can go anywhere in the city). The Hilton is not in the center of the tourist traffic, but close enough if you like that sort of thing. My host arranged my travel to the airport, but my wife left some hours earlier for a different flight and said the ride to Pudong was about 180 RMB. Overall, I would say that this is a very good hotel (perhaps borderline excellent) and its been updated recently. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting the city.

Room Tip: Higher Floors Have the Views
1  Thank Fayaya

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well on your journey onwards!

Thank you very much for spending the time to submit such a detailed review of your experience with us. I am pleased to hear that you have had a history with our property and were overall impressed with your most recent experience. Your loyalty and eagerness to recommend us are very valued. We truly appreciate your encouraging words about our Housekeeping and Concierge Team (Richard in particular) and will be sure to share your feedback with our Management, so they may be recognized for their commitment to service.

Although I am happy to know you enjoyed our rooms and other service aspects of your stay, I am very disappointed to hear of the discomfort my colleague on the Executive Floor caused to you and your wife with his comments. Rest assured that we will take a serious look into what you have mentioned. I extend my sincere apologies and hope you find a positive change upon your return. Similarly, we have made note of your comments for the food offered on the Executive Floor and will use them for our improvement.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any additional comments, questions or concerns as I would be eager to receive your impressions. Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to the opportunity to serve you better in the future!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

It is my second time within 6 months to stay in Hilton Shanghai. Though my meeting this time is not close to this hotel (about 5 subway stations away), I still prefer to stay here because of my good experience during my last visit.

First of all, thanks for upgrading my room to Executive Room because of my hHonor Gold Membership. The room I stay this time is relatively smaller than the room in my previous stay (a corner room) but I do have no complaint at all 'cause I appreciate their upgrade.

Everyone looks good when compared with my previous stay though the hotel is still undergoing re-innovation. Nevertheless, I would like to give my appreciation to Linda, the cook in the Lounge for breakfast, who is always very cheerful, polite and attentive. Her preparation for omelette and different kinds of eggs are excellent too!

The fitness room, the Wi-Fi internet connection, and everything are kept at very high quality. Would continue to stay in Hilton Shanghai for my next visit!

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of your most recent stays with us. We truly appreciate any and all comments from our guests as a means for us to understand what our guests value most during their stays and what they hope to see improve. As you mention you are a loyal Gold Member of our Hilton Honors Program, we especially value your input.

I am particularly pleased to hear that you chose to stay with us based on your previous positive experiences with us, regardless of the convenience of our location on your recent trip. We are happy that we were able to upgrade your room and that you have found an improvement in our facilities since our refurbishments have begun, and that you are similarly impressed with our Spa and Internet Service. I am most glad to know that our Executive Floor Chef warmly welcomed you every morning! Your compliments for her will be shared with our Management so that she may be recognized appropriately!

My colleagues and I look forward to having you back at our property soon. Until then, please feel free to contact me directly with any additional comments or requests you may have, as I would be happy to hear from you.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

As a frequent Hilton guest I always am impressed by the range of hotels, Hilton offers and the range of hotel styles. This particular hotel impressed me from the entrance through to the room. I did find the rooms to be a little smaller then others and lacking a bit of style and finess however this is made up for by the sensational service from the staff in the club lounge.

The location of the hotel is great and with views of the temple, access to the metro and convenient stores, conveniently located nearby it is perfect for the tired business traveller.

I may just plan to make this my usual hotel in Shanghai in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your stay experiences with us. As you mention you are a frequent guest of ours, I am especially grateful for your feedback and to know what you valued most during your stays. Specifically, I am very happy to know that our Executive Floor colleagues are a large contributor to your satisfaction! I have shared your comments with my Management so they may recognize our team for their commitment to service.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you have any further comments, as I would be pleased to hear from you. Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to your return!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My experience has been good until I stayed at Hilton Shanghai (250 Hua Shan Road, Shanghai). I stayed there from March 1-4. While in line at check in, it appeared that men were given priority over woman. Although frustrated and tired I did not say anything as I understand the Chinese culture. No one offered to help with my luggage either. In China as soon as you pull in front of hotel, the bell man comes and helps with your luggage. After hours of traveling, I checked into my room. I walked to my room and smelled the smoke. They had given me a smoking room even though my reservations stated non-smoking. I was very tired. Called down and asked them for a non-smoking room. I was told they did not have any rooms available. I went to sleep and woke up with a headache. I went down in the morning and again asked that they give me another room. I was told no. No apologies were given either.

On Monday while waiting to check out, a new checkout line opened. I went to the front counter, the lady told me it was the gentleman’s turn that was behind me. I told her no that I was there 5 minutes before him. She didn’t believe me and asked the guy to walk to the front. He told her that I was there before him! It was very apparent that men were given priority. I asked to speak to a manager. She told me that she was the manager. I asked for her card. Her name was Fiona Li. I explained to her that I was very unhappy that I was given a smoking room. She told me that was not on my reservations. I told her it was on my travel profile, reservation and both my travel agency (Caldwell Travel) and Honors have my profile. My reservation also said a room with large desk. There was no desk. There was a very small round table that I had to work at. Very uncomfortable.

Upon check out, I told the gentleman that traveled with and also works for me what had happened. He checked in after me. He told me they told him they had no non-smoking room also. But they are upgrading him. They gave him a non-smoking room and a very nice room with a large working area. That proved my thought of men were given priority at that hotel. My bill for the 3 days there was 4373.10 RBM which is equivalent to $702! My room was more like a 2 star hotel with very limited amenities. What a rip off.

I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. I will notify my travel agency that does all the booking for my company. The Hilton Shanghai is a terrible hotel with lousy service.

I stayed at the Double Tree in Shanghai (889 Yanggao Road) on my last night in Shanghai and I had the complete opposite experience. Their service was excellent.

3  Thank travelerINaustin