“Feel like home!”

Hilton Shanghai
Ranked #57 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
“Feel like home!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

People told me Hilton's a bit dated to compared with other 5 * hotels but i really had a good time during my 3 night stay there. The staff were so friendly, helpful and polite! The swimming pool and gym were great too! If you love exploring Shanghai by yourself, Metro is a good means of transport; and Hilton is just 5' walk to the Metro station! Love it! I will recommend it to my friends if they visit Shanghai!

• Stayed February 2013
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to submit a review of your most recent stay with us. We are always eager to know the feedback of our guests, so we may better understand what they value during their stays and what may be improved. From your scores, I am pleased to know that our service was what impressed you most! We are most proud of our people!

I am likewise pleased to know that you enjoyed our location and gym, and that you will be recommending our property to your friends. Should you have any questions or further comments, do not hesitate to contact me directly. Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends soon!

olivia.ji@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

A Chinese friend of mine asked me, 'Why stay at an old hotel, when Shanghai has thousands of new hotels. Hilton is famous for service, but the building is very very old.?' He almost answered his own question, and in my opinion, this hotel offers some of the best service anywhere. Rooms are very good, the executive lounge is excellent, and the staff are very helpful, and polite. The hotels restaurants are excellent, and so are the bars. Sadly, I had the same mindset as my Chinese friend for many years, and so I hadn't stayed at the Hilton since 2003. Just before Christmas I had a meeting round the corner from there, and so I decided to give it a whirl. I've been back three times this year, and I don't plan to stay anywhere else now, when in Shanghai. Fantastic all round. Especially the staff, and the service they offer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank travel-devil008
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your stay experience with us. I am especially grateful for your comments as you have been able to compare your visits with us over the years as well as other Five Star Properties in Shanghai.

Knowing this, I am so happy to know that you still consider us your first choice when visiting Shanghai. In particular, I am very pleased to know that our service and staff have significant role in keeping you returning! We strive to provide genuine service and to make our guests feel valued. Likewise, I am pleased you enjoyed our restaurants and your room as well.

Please know that I would welcome any additional comments, questions or concerns directly. Otherwise, I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

London
Reviewed March 12, 2013

After all this is a Hilton. Good location, no question. City center, good public transport / road connections.

The rooms are rather dated. It's got the typical 80's style phone in the room. There's a old honeywell temperature controller in the room, with sliding thermo setter. Haven't seem them in years.

The hotel is going through refurbishment. Was waken up by electric drills and hammers on Monday morning..

Therefore not recommended!

Room Tip: Do ask for a newly refurbished room if there's any!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

I truly appreciate that you took the time to submit a review of your most recent stay with us. We are grateful for any and all feedback we receive as a useful tool towards our improvement. From your comments, I am pleased to know that we met your expectations of the Hilton standard. However, I am sorry to know that your likelihood to recommend our property was so negatively affected by our refurbishments. We are trying to update our rooms and apologize for the disturbance you experienced.

Should you have any further comments, I would be happy to hear from you further at my contact details shown below. Otherwise, I hope we have the opportunity to serve you better in the future and impress you with the renovations once they are complete.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here for two nights on our way down to Australia. We had arranged with the hotel in advance for a car to pick us up from the airport as we knew we would be jetted lagged. Our plane was early, so there was a short wait for the car to arrive, but the driver called us to let us know he was on the way. The driver was very helpful and had called ahead to the hotel, so there was a staff member there to greet us upon arrival. We were taken immediately to our room even though check-in was not until 2.00 pm and we arrived at 9.00 am. We really appreciated this and were able to have a freshen up before heading out for the day. We were upgraded to a King Executive Room, which was modern, bright and airy and had great views out across the city to the Oriental Pearl Tower in the distance.
Regarding the location, the hotel was very convenient for the tourist bus as it was only a short 5 minute walk to the stop. Opposite were a small number of bars and restaurants - very handy if you don't want to eat in the hotel itself. We ate in the Atrium Cafe and found the service to be very attentive, the food tasty and there was a wide choice of items. We did find it very expensive though...
The executive lounge was large, so it never felt crowded, even though there was a regular flow of guests. It was on a high floor with good views across the city, so it was a lovely place to have breakfast or evening drinks. Breakfast in the lounge was great. There was a full cooked breakfast and eggs cooked to order. In addition, there was a wide range of both Chinese and international items to choose from. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the service was very good, both at breakfast and in the evening.
We really enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Baggage101
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing such a detailed review of your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate that you took the time from your day to offer us your feedback and value your comments in understanding what our guest’s enjoy most during their stays and what may be improved.

Specifically, I am very pleased to hear that you were happy with your arrival experience and found the location of the hotel convenient during your stay. In addition, although I am similarly glad to know you also enjoyed your dining experiences in the Atrium Café and Executive Floor, I am most happy to hear that you were impressed with our service. We strive to serve our guests with genuine care!

Should you have any further comments, please feel free to contact me directly, as I would be eager to hear from you. Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you back some day in the near future!

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have not used the Hilton Shanghai as a hotel since I moved to Shanghai, some years ago. But I go there almost every week for the Tuesday night Rotary dinner. Shanghai Rotary Club has a weekly dinner on the top floor (unless the dinner is moved to a conference room or the ball room for special events or other reasons). The view from the top (40th floor) over the bright lights or over dusky Shanghai is just great. No wonder there are often more visitors and guests than members at the meetings.
Once per month, the hotel provides a buffet, the other dinners are seated 3 course dinners. The group strength varies from week to week between 30 and 50. The hotel handles the variations and the special requirements very well. It is impossible to please everybody always, but the hotel manages to come near that ideal (at the price of excluding chicken from the menu).
A pleasant regular event, which visiting members from abroad should try to include in their plans.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helmut S
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai!

Thank you for submitting such a detailed review of your experiences with our property. Your comments are particularly valuable to us as you are a Shanghai resident who is very often at our hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your frequent visits to our Top Meeting Space. Specifically, I am happy to hear that our service has been able to accommodate the event well although the weekly group varies.

Should you have any further comments you would like to share with us, feel free to contact me directly, as I would be pleased to hear from you. Otherwise, we will see you next week!

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed three nights at the Shanghai Hilton during the last week of February. I had read the reviews on Tripadviser and was not completely convinced before going, but since I had booked in advance, the rate was very good and I figured we didn't really risk a lot.
I am glad we booked at the Hilton.
The taxi ride from the airport took a liitle more than 30 min. I think this is the easiest option to get there, price under 200 ¥ or around 20 € for about 50 km.
We were upgraded to an executive room with a view of the temple, but when I said I preferred a view of the skyline, we got the new room immediately. Loved the view, especially the first and last day, in between you could not see anything because of the smog and the clouds. The rooms have been renovated recently and are solid Hilton quality.
For the rest: the location is very good, very central, we moved a lot by taxi to explore Shanghai and never paid more than 20 ¥ per ride, less than 2,50 €. The hotel staff provides you with little standard cards with the most important tourist places and their addresses in Chinese ( or with hand written cards if you want to go to a place that does not come on their printed ones). Make sure you have one of these, otherwise it is vey difficult to communicate with the drivers.
The service at the hotel is excellent and friendly. We enjoyed the Executive lounge access linked to our room upgrade, the staff was very welcoming, sometimes the attitude of other co - loungers was sort of 'arrogant', but that has nothing to do with the hotel itself.
Breakfast is amazing. We always had it downstairs - and not in the Executive lounge - and the only problem was choosing between all the delicious options, Chinese, Japanese, Hilton international...
There is a full blown fitness center on the 4th floor with a very reasonably sized octagonal pool which I used every day to swim laps and there is a nice spa attached to it, with whirlpool, sauna, steam bath, Japanese shower.
We were more than pleased with our stay and I would love to be able to go back there.

Room Tip: As high up as possible with a view of the skyline, not the other side.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunstar1019
HiltonShanghaiHotel, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to write review on Tripadvisor by submitting your such great impression of our property.

It's alway so nice to hear from great and valuable comments like yours. Your positive comments of your recent stay experience, especially on our Executive lounge including service agent and food cuisine, as well as highly recommended will definitely encourage us to continue focusing on guest satisfaction at any time in the future. All related department will be shared with your mentioned comments for sure.

Please do not hesitate to contact me further with any inquiries you may have or whether you are considering a future reservation with our hotel, as I would be happy to personally reserve your room for you.

with kind regards,

Kenny Gong
Assistant Front Office Manager & HHonors Manager
Kenny.Gong@hilton.com
8621-62480000 Ext.2130
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a nice hotel with a beautiful lobby. There are multiple restaurants that serve good quality food. There is also a skybar that provides a nice view of Shanghai. During my stay there construction was occurring and while it wasn't on the floor I was staying, you could still smell the paint and construction materials being used. However, it did not affect my stay to a large degree. The one drawback to this hotel is the lack of wifi in the rooms and the fact that only free wifi was offered in the lobby for one hour a day. The cost for internet was rather extraordinary. This hotel would be good for people traveling for business and who can bill their business for amenities such as wifi. The employees at the hotel are helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
HiltonShanghaiHotel, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I hope this message finds you well on your journey onwards from the Hilton Shanghai!

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your most recent stay with us. I am particularly grateful for your positive feedback as you mention you have stayed with us on restaurant experience such as in Penthouse bar, and are satified with our services and offerings. My colleagues and I appreciate your encouraging words!

In addition, our property is ongoing a part of room renovation plan and please enjoy the new room facilities when it completes upon your next trip soon later, I do hope. Also, our internet expanding plan will be reviewed by top management recently.

We likewise look forward to your return! Please feel free to contact me directly with any additional comments you may have.

Kenny Gong