“Consistently mediocre”

Ranked #57 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Sydney, Australia
“Consistently mediocre”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I can attest to the Hilton Shanghai pervasive mediocrity.

Having been a guest of the Hilton in Shanghai on many occasions and usually being allocated an un-renovated room, on my last visit I decided to upgrade to an Executive Room to ensure I had a comfortable desk and chair. The room was the same as the other renovated non-executive rooms- so OK, still have showers over baths like grandma house- but I was disappointed to find that the hotel charges executive’s' accompanying visitors in the executive lounge. Not that unusual I suppose but I have stayed in several hotels where one can bring a guest into the lounge or coffee or a drink and they are warmly welcomed and not charged.

When working from laptop in a foreign city it is great to be able to hold short meetings in the lounge with colleagues and expect them to be welcomed rather than checked overas if they are trying to cadge a free coffee. The staff on the executive level are generally unfriendly and officious, a bit like customs inspectors.

I was travelling with a group of six work colleagues so at breakfast (in the lobby), on two occasions, we were seated behind the waiters station next to a growing pile of dirty dishes. Buffet breakfast is very good at the Hilton (one Plus) but they have replaced their previously quite good coffee with brown weak liquid- at least you can drink several cups without getting edgy I suppose.

For some reason the porters done want to hail taxis to come to the entrance anymore.

The ladies of the night are less confronting now- they don’t seem to follow guests up to their rooms uninvited anymore but they do cruise the lobby cocktail bar leering at guests. To avoid them one could head up to the Level 35 Cocktail Lounge but only if one enjoys cigar smoke.

Room Tip: Higher floors are renovated
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your impressions of your most recent stay with us. Rest assured that your comments are very much appreciated, as we use feedback from our guests as an important tool in our training and improvement.

Having said this, we do appreciate for your valuable detail comments on our hotel facilities and service part. Particularly, as your mentioned on Executive lounge and restaurant experience such as breakfast, it will be surely shared in our concerned department head with necessary solution followed up.

Please know that any additional comments, questions or concerns you are willing to share with us would be welcome. I would be pleased to hear from you directly!

Assistant Fron Office Manager & HHonors Manager
Kenny.Gong@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Good location: 3 min to subway station (line 2, Jing'an Temple), about 10 min to Nanjing road by step, and around 45 min to the Bund.
A lot of molls and restaurants.
Great service.
Free wifi in lobby.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonShanghaiHotel, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, February 28, 2013

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your impressions of your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate any and all of our guests’ feedback as an important tool in our improvement and understanding what our guests value most.

I'm also very pleased to know about your great comments especially for hotel location as well as service part and WiFi issue. It will be surely shared in our team and encourage us to maintain good service continually.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our property soon. Should you have any additional comments or questions, do not hesitate to contact me directly, as I would be eager to assist!

Shanghai, China
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Hotel is nice, did the job. Pleasant, helpful, good english speaking staff. Room was clean. Food was good. Walking distance to popular shopping areas. Nice view of the Shanghai skyline. Very nice workout facility. I would recommend this property.

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate any and all of our guests’ feedback as an important tool in our improvement and understanding what our guests value most.

Having said this, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Particularly, I am pleased you enjoyed your room and the location of the hotel, and very pleased to know that my colleagues served you well and catered to your specific preferences!

Assistant Front Office Manager & HHonors Manager
Kenny.Gong@hilton.com
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We spent a very pleasant and comfortable weekend at the Shanghai Hilton. The room was up to standard and so was the food. In particular, we enjoyed their very reasonable priced Sunday brunch which had a large range of Western, Chinese and other Asian dishes.
I would advise anyone staying here not to sign for for extras but pay at the time with cash or card instead. We signed for an evening meal when we arrived and breakfast the next morning and were summoned to reception so they could increase the amount blocked on our credit card - as we had run up such a large bill!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonShanghaiHotel, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, February 26, 2013

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

It's always so glad to hear from guest positive comments as such, especially for compliments on our Sunday Brunch part. In addition, I'm very pleased to know that you did enjoy our Food & Beverage service and facilities as the treatment for example!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Good hotel in a good location. Food is OK. Bar is OK. Accessible to airports. Easy to get taxi. Restaurants are close. Walking distance to main shopping area. We did do a Spa treatment which we found very good. A nice pool, spa, work out area. Overall all a good hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, February 22, 2013

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

Having seen from your comments, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Particularly, I am pleased you enjoyed your room and the location of the hotel, and very pleased to know that you did enjoy our SPA facilities as the treatment for example!

Woodbury Salterton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Some hotels in the Hilton portfolio don't live up to the quality once expected of this brand but the Shanghai Hilton is certainly up there with the best. Situated in the French Concession area of Shanghai the Hilton is handy for the main shopping areas and just a short cab ride away from the Bund with its views of the famous Pudong skyline. Ancient temples are also nearby. Rooms are very large by Far East standards and some have great views across the city. The hotel has a spa which I didn't use, my daughter reported it to be excellent but found it annoying that it was compulsory to purchase a swimming cap before using the pool. The breakfast buffet has to be one of the best in China with its generous mix of oriental and Western dishes. There is also an evening buffet with a wide choice of well-prepared dishes and another restaurant specialising in sea-food. However, I suggest you have a splurge and try the restaurant on the top floor. Wow but this is good! Very expensive by Chinese standards but worth every penny and the adjoining cocktail bar is worth it just for the view. A warning to non-smokers that there are a couple of smoking tables in this restaurant and many tables in the cocktail bar and ground-floor bar also permit smoking. My room flooded in the night due to problems on the floor above. It took just minutes to move me to another, and better room, and when I checked out the Duty Manager was waiting to apologise and to let me know that the General Manager would be contacting me at home to "put the matter right". I have stayed here before and will stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for submitting your detailed review of your most recent stay with us!

I am very grateful for your encouraging words and your specific examples of what made your stay enjoyable. We rely on feedback similar to yours to understand what our guest value most in their visits to our property and also what can be improved.

Particularly, I am pleased to know you enjoyed the convenient location of the hotel and the comfort of our rooms. Similarly, I am pleased that you enjoyed our Food and Beverage offerings throughout the hotel. However, your comments about the smoking-permitted areas as well as the regulations in our swimming pool have been well-noted to see how we may potentially address these inconveniences.

In regards to your comments about the flooding you experienced, I truly appreciate your patience and understanding, and I am glad to know my colleagues assisted you well to make sure your stay was not too troubled.

Should there be any additional comments you may want to share with us or any questions you may have, do not hesitate to contact me directly, as I would be eager to help! Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Olivia Ji

Magic Manager
8621-62480000 Ext.2800
olivia.ji@hilton.com
London
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed in the Hilton Shanghai during a business trip to Shanghai for 7 nights.

Positives
Great location, great views, helpful staff, clean rooms

Negatives
Wifi not free - amazing hotels still charge for this where even budget hostels offer free wifi

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, February 18, 2013

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

We are always seeking feedback from our guests to gain a better understanding of what they value during their stays and what may be improved, so I am very grateful for your comments and pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am most happy to hear that my colleagues were helpful during your stay.

However, your comment about our internet has been well-noted, and I am pleased to inform you that we are planning improvements to our internet service in the coming months. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and that you find an improvement then.

Should you have any further comments or questions, do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would be eager to hear from you. Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to seeing you upon your next visit!

Olivia Ji