“A Hilton worth visiting.”
Review of Hilton Shanghai

Hilton Shanghai
Ranked #56 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Some hotels in the Hilton portfolio don't live up to the quality once expected of this brand but the Shanghai Hilton is certainly up there with the best. Situated in the French Concession area of Shanghai the Hilton is handy for the main shopping areas and just a short cab ride away from the Bund with its views of the famous Pudong skyline. Ancient temples are also nearby. Rooms are very large by Far East standards and some have great views across the city. The hotel has a spa which I didn't use, my daughter reported it to be excellent but found it annoying that it was compulsory to purchase a swimming cap before using the pool. The breakfast buffet has to be one of the best in China with its generous mix of oriental and Western dishes. There is also an evening buffet with a wide choice of well-prepared dishes and another restaurant specialising in sea-food. However, I suggest you have a splurge and try the restaurant on the top floor. Wow but this is good! Very expensive by Chinese standards but worth every penny and the adjoining cocktail bar is worth it just for the view. A warning to non-smokers that there are a couple of smoking tables in this restaurant and many tables in the cocktail bar and ground-floor bar also permit smoking. My room flooded in the night due to problems on the floor above. It took just minutes to move me to another, and better room, and when I checked out the Duty Manager was waiting to apologise and to let me know that the General Manager would be contacting me at home to "put the matter right". I have stayed here before and will stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for submitting your detailed review of your most recent stay with us!

I am very grateful for your encouraging words and your specific examples of what made your stay enjoyable. We rely on feedback similar to yours to understand what our guest value most in their visits to our property and also what can be improved.

Particularly, I am pleased to know you enjoyed the convenient location of the hotel and the comfort of our rooms. Similarly, I am pleased that you enjoyed our Food and Beverage offerings throughout the hotel. However, your comments about the smoking-permitted areas as well as the regulations in our swimming pool have been well-noted to see how we may potentially address these inconveniences.

In regards to your comments about the flooding you experienced, I truly appreciate your patience and understanding, and I am glad to know my colleagues assisted you well to make sure your stay was not too troubled.

Should there be any additional comments you may want to share with us or any questions you may have, do not hesitate to contact me directly, as I would be eager to help! Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

There are newer reviews for Hilton Shanghai

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed in the Hilton Shanghai during a business trip to Shanghai for 7 nights.

Positives
Great location, great views, helpful staff, clean rooms

Negatives
Wifi not free - amazing hotels still charge for this where even budget hostels offer free wifi

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

We are always seeking feedback from our guests to gain a better understanding of what they value during their stays and what may be improved, so I am very grateful for your comments and pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am most happy to hear that my colleagues were helpful during your stay.

However, your comment about our internet has been well-noted, and I am pleased to inform you that we are planning improvements to our internet service in the coming months. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and that you find an improvement then.

Should you have any further comments or questions, do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would be eager to hear from you. Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to seeing you upon your next visit!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Got myself a room on the 16th floor and couldn't think of a single dull moment throughout my stay! Whatta splendid city and whatta splendid view!!! True to Hilton standards the service, the setting, the food, everything measures up!!! The staff was fantastic and extremely accommodating! Also great location, very close to a lot of shopping centres, restaurants and the metro station!
I wouldnt think twice about staying anywhere whenever i visit Shanghai next...

Room Tip: Higher the better!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to submit a review of your recent stay!

We truly appreciate your feedback as a means of understanding what our guests value most during their stays and what could be improved. I am pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that we offered you an experience that will bring you back to our property upon your next visits.

Should you have any additional comments, questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me directly, as I would be eager to assist you. Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was a great stay. Expectations had been set high, and to be honest, they were met.

I have to say that both my travel colleague and myself are both Hilton HHonors Gold, so this could have affected our treatment!

We arranged one of their cars to pick us up from the airport, that was pretty simple, into a Lexus hot face towels and we are away.

Close to arrival the driver lets the hotel know we are close.

We arrive, people are there to usher us up into the executive floor to process check-in, our bags are ‘taken care of’.

Rooms are a decent size, clean and with the usual toiletries.

The only downside was that I had all kinds of issues getting connected to the wifi, the instructions were incorrect, it wasn’t my last name, it was something else. Not sure what happened, but the tech support resolved it, so big deal!

Bed comfy, I slept perfectly and without any noise from surrounding rooms, elevators, etc.

I loved that it was possible to open the windows a little so get fresh air through the room, not that it needed it, I just like fresh air.

Breakfast was very good, only FYI, is that the downstairs restaurant gets a little cold in the winter, I needed to wear a hoody over my business shirt.

Pay attention to the fact that the ‘seater and greeter’ tells you what your table number is! This because if you order eggs, omelet or so on, they actually bring it to your table.

Exec floor I did go and hang out for an hour or so while my room was being cleaned, the people in there were so helpful when I wanted a paper clip!.

Our offices are no longer as close to this hotel as it used to be, but I’m hoping to continue staying here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Adriang68
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

I am very pleased to have received your impression of your most recent stay with us. Thank you very much for taking the time to submit such a detailed account of what you enjoyed during your stay and what could have been improved. As a valued Gold Member of our Hilton Honors Program, we are especially grateful of your compliments as we know your familiarity with our properties. Still, we will be sure to review your internet connectivity issues as we will be reviewing our internet plan in the coming months.

My colleagues and I look forward to welcoming your return. Should you have any additional comments or suggestions, I would be pleased to hear from you directly!

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Every year for the last 5+ yrs I've stayed at this Hilton and the staff always makes me feel at home. The location is superb, everything you need is within walking distance: shopping, restaurants, night life, etc. Everybody from the bell boys to the front desk staff is always very accommodating and trying to go the extra mile. I'll be back soon!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time from your day to share your impressions of the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

Knowing that you have been a regular guest of ours over the past few years, I am grateful that you have had a consistently enjoyable time upon your stays with us. I am especially pleased to hear of your kind words for my colleagues in the Front Office. Rest assured that your comments will be shared with our Management so that the appropriate team members will be recognized for their service!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon! Until then, do not hesitate to contact me directly should there be anything I may assist you with or any additional comments you may want to offer.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

After a frustrating cab ride where the driver had no idea where the hotel was, we were greeted by the bell boys basically cursing us because we had 4 pieces of luggage that were apparently heavier than they liked. No "hello", no "welcome", no smile, just utter disdain for our presence. No joke, I'm not exaggerating. I'm Chinese and am well aware of the different American customs that lead us to believe certain behaviors are considered "rude" but commonplace in other cultures. No mistake, no misunderstanding here; the bell boys meant to be rude. Checkin was nothing special, I felt very rushed.

Now on to the most important aspect, the room. Positives are that we stayed on a higher floor and had a pretty nice view of the city. Bad is that the windows in the room had a small leak so I could always hear whistling and outside noise. Nothing too serious. At this point I just really wanted to relax. There was a nice fruity basket and glasses of champagne for our honeymoon stay. The bed was comfortable but this hotel is a little dated and can use a spruce up. I don't think I will ever come back to this hotel or Shanghai for that matter. There wasn't much for us to see so the three days here was more than enough.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Connie L
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time from your busy day to submit your impressions of your recent stay with us. I appreciate the detail you went into to describe what you valued during your stay and what could have been improved. You may rest assured that your comments are being very seriously considered by our Management, as we are very disappointed to hear of the service shortcomings you experienced.

In particular, we have found who was on duty upon your arrival and will be sure that the appropriate training is completed with the Team Members that contributed to your unpleasant experience. We most certainly do not intend for this to be the first impression our guests have, and I sincerely apologize that you were not welcomed and treated with genuine care, especially on your honeymoon stay.

Still, I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your room and the treats waiting for your honeymoon experience. Your notes about the window will be noted and looked into, but I encourage you upon your next stay to report any similar issues as we would have been pleased to address them before your departure.

Although you mention that you will likely not return, I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back and serve you better. Should you have any additional comments, questions, or concerns, I would be pleased to hear from you directly!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have stayed at this property many times over the past two years and it is consistently very good. The staff in the executive lounge are especially competent. I am glad to see that the hotel is starting to refresh certain things like the elevators.

Another great advantage of this Hilton is the location. It is right off a major highway but just a few minutes walk away from good shopping and restaurants. This is my go-to hotel in Shanghai.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well on your journey onwards!

I am very pleased to read in your comments that you prefer our hotel above the other choices available in Shanghai! Your positive detailed comments about our service and updating facilities are especially appreciated as you mention that you have been a frequent guest of ours for the past couple of years and have had the opportunity to assess our standards over time. Still, know that if you have any additional comments on what may be improved upon, I would be eager to hear from you further.

Otherwise, my colleagues and I look forward to having you back soon!