“A+ Hotel Great Location and Better Staff”

Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
Ranked #33 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed September 1, 2011

A 2 week trip from August 13-28 in Shanghai. I usually stay in Service Apartments, but this trip was too short, so i decided to stay in a Hotel. The Marriott is going thru renovation but the Hotel Staff is VERY helpful and the property is in a great location for Business. Right next to the Shanghai Mart, Close to Gubie Rd and the shopping and dinning that comes along with one of the best areas in Shanghai. The SPA is wonderful with Dry and wet sauna's, workout area and jacuzzies. Don't use the Hotel Shuttle, get the Maglev from the Airport instead, it runs at over 400km per hour.

Room Tip: Go up as High as you can.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
RenaissanceYangtze, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2011

Dear guest, thank you very much for your valuable time to share your experience and impression on Tripadvisor. It’s so nice to hear from you that you really enjoyed with our service. We will continue to focus on our guest satisfaction at any time in the future. Once again, we appreciate your comments and welcome you back to experience more Renaissance culture.

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel

Reviewed August 30, 2011

I was at the Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze three times last year, in 2010. The hotel was suggested by my american colleagues that are used to stay here everytime they go to Shanghai. The hotel is very well located and is equipped with a nice club lever (I believe is 34 floor) where you can get a very relaxed breakfast but also you can plan some business meetings. I experienced some of the inside restaurants (the italian, the chinese) and they are average. The fitness should be improved, but I know that this is planned and problably has been done already

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
RenaissanceYangtze, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

Dear guest, thank you for choosing Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel as your business trip stay. Your great comments on our club and breakfast really motivate us and we will pay great attention to the problems you have mentioned. Thank you once again for taking the time to review your experience and we do expect to welcome you again to Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

My company booked me into this hotel for a 4 night business trip to Shanghai.
I have been to this area before and staid in the neighboring, partner hotel (Marriott).
Probably the Marriott was full or more expensive then the Renaissance hotel.

The booking was done through a company secretary and the full details were send to me.
Upon arrival at Pudong airport I showed the taxi driver, on my phone, the address in Chinese characters and he immediately knew were to drop me off.

As I arrived late in the evening, around midnight, the ride was only 20-25 min from Pudong airport and subsequent Check in was a breeze.
The check in lady told me that if I was a Marriott member, I would get free internet. I gave her my Marriott member number in exchange for internet passcodes.
Admittedly the internet code works on multiple devices and was pretty fast, both in the room and down in the loby.

The lobby was nice, besides the reception it has a bar which has occasional live music playing in the evening and 2 restaurants have their entrance into the lobby. One of these was the restaurant also used for breakfast.

The actual room was nothing special. It had twin beds, a fairly large sized TV. The minibar was well stocked with softdrinks, local beers and some wine. There was also a snackbasket on one of the side tables.
The bathroom was OK, a bit small with no separate shower, but sufficient for a weeks stay by a single person.

The room is a bit noisy as I could hear my neighbours TV and in-room activities.

Breakfast was served in one of the restaurants in the lobby and was really nice. Plenty of choice, friendly staff, coffee and juice delivered to the table. As a newspaper was delivered to my room each morning, I truly enjoyed daily breakfast, with a newspaper as if I were at home.

I exchanged some foreign currency at the hotel a few times and was always promptly served.
One of the nice touches happened during an elevator ride. One of the ladies in the elevator worked for the hotel and asked me a few questions how I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. If the service was OK, if the room was OK, clean, if I enjoyed the food, etc. Upon leaving the elevator she gave me her card and told me to contact here in case of any issues in the hotel.

Check out was a breeze.

Just one warning: There are a few well dressed con artists (men) just outside the hotel who will approach you with a sad story, business opportunity, help, etc.. Just ignore then when approached!!!

Room Tip: I had a room at the 8th floor, OK view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank vastgotta
RenaissanceYangtze, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2011

Dear guest, thank you so much for your valuable time and effort in providing us your precious feedback. We are so glad to hear that your enjoyed our daily breakfast during your stay in our hotel. We will continue to provide great service and delicious food to all our guests. We have noticed that you are not satisfied with the room conditions. We will look into alternate ways in improving our guest experience. Thanks again for sharing your valuable experience at Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

The hotel is in a good location. Stores and the local airport are close by.
I had the weekend rate this time and so the rate was excellent. The staff is nice and helpful. Dinner at the local buffet was good. Big variaty of food.
The problem is the guests. When you walk through the hotel and nobody has any manners and guests spit in the elevator it is just not a nice feeling. Not the hotels fault but it was very obvious this time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
RenaissanceYangtze, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Thank you very much for your time and effort in providing us your feedback. We will continue to provides great service and great food to our guest. We looking forward having you back to us to experience the Renaissance culture.

Reviewed June 22, 2011

Took about 50 mins from Pudong airport when it was early morning. Reached the hotel and was given a king-sized bed with 6 pillows. Having said that, all 6 pillows were simply too soft and i had a neckache when i awoke.

They try to go the extra mile by having a 1 stop service - only 1 telephone button dial called "Delighted to serve" instead of various buttons for housekeeping / inroom dining / e.t.c.However while they try to help you, you certainly can feel it is uncomfortable for them to converse in English over the phone when they try... so i switched to mandarin so that they can understand my requests much better.

Housekeeping is great and everyday u get 2 bottles of water in your room. I called them once and they came up to my room very promptly to settle a mal-function item. Would have wished the hairdryer was pre-fixed in the toilet rather than finding it in the wardrobe and then having the 3 pin plug only be able to fit at the working desk. Quite a hassle when everyday housekeeping keeps the hairdryer back in a tied cloth bag and i have to take it out everyday and untie the bag.

Had in-room dining and while it said about 45 mins, it was much earlier than that.

Everything was good, didn't get to try the heated swimming pool. Gym was quite good too :)

However staying here for 6 nights, the breakfast did not change much everyday, it became really boring. Am not sure why their orange juice there was so sour and bitter too.

Room Tip: Business hotel style.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your time and effort in providing us your valuable constructive feedback. We will continue provides relevant trainings to our associates in providing better service to our guest. Also, we noted on your comments with the hair dryer set up and breakfast variety. We will look into alternate ways in improving our guest experience.
Once again, we thank you for your efforts and looking forward having you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed May 25, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights during a business trip in Asia - Taking the taxi from the airport here took almost an hour as the international airport is very remote - if you continue from the National airport - that is very close - just 10 mins. I liked the service in the hotel - very customer minded. Free internet usage if you are a Marriott member (just apply). The breakfast buffet was really nice. I did not have time to use the SPA - but I found it quite expensive - we used some facilities near by which were a 3rd of the price in the hotel. Always take a cab in Shanghai as the price is so low that it is not worth doing something else. Getting into the city takes 15-20 mins. One downside is the construction work all around - that makes noise.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank travellerch63

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel. It’s so nice to hear from you that you enjoyed with our service and breakfast buffet. We are sorry for the inconvenience brought to you by the construction work. Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed May 24, 2011

I stayed in other two Renaissance hotels already (Pudong and Zhongshan Park) and I would definitively pick this one over the other two because: 1-Absolutely wonderful and friendly service 2-Live music almost every night with a very talented band 3-Many things within walking distance (even a Catholic church, though service I went to was in Chinese, Shanghai market, Metro Line 2, Shopping Centers, UPS Office and a bunch of embassy representations). Paying to upgrade for concierge access is worth it. Nightlife available too and right next to an expo center. They have indoor restaurants for both international of chinese food and a tea house, you can experience a lot of china within a controlled environmnent, I even made pen pals I am now practicing my chinese with. Right across from a nice park and surrounded by small stores where you can buy things you might have forgotten or ran out of.

Room Tip: Upgrade to concierge (free drinks and food)
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Dear guest, thank you very much for choosing Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel and sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time of stay in our hotel. Your valuable comments really encourage our related departments. We hope your future experiences with us will be continuously satisfactory.