“Constructive criticism”

Ranked #9 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Ningbo, China
“Constructive criticism”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

It is certainly a 5 star hotel and the building is impressive. So are the views from very room and the lobby locate do n the 38th floor. For the price though and the reputation worldwide the service levels disappoint. English is not widely spoken by the staff ( those that do speak it very well).
Have two areas for comments :
- swimming pool access is quite complicated. You have to get down to the 6th floor be guided to a lift on a arching corridor which will take you to the 7th outside the tower. Then a freezing walk through a glass. Or rider till you arrive there. No sauna or steam there so for that you have to go back to the gym on the 6th. A one stop gym, pool sauna etc would be convenient.
- had lunch for 4 consecutive days there and tried the Indian fare at the buffet. It is decent but more is expected of JW marriot. The chicken tikka isn't chicken tikka but barely cooked chicken pieces smeared with some spices. The quality of the chicken too was dicey. The prawns in the curry were again barely cooked and not deveined. Not fresh either from the smell of it. While it is gratifying to find Indian food on the menu and find a host of nationalities including Chinese trying it, it does need to be authentic,

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Bishwadeep B
Kimberly Z, Asst.Director of Guest Relations at JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your thoughts. We take all feedback seriously and sincerely regret that we didn’t meet your expectations. After receiving your reviews, we have looked into the areas that you had mentioned and please be assured that we will definitely take appropriate measures to improve our products and services.
Your reviews sound very genuine, and I would like to express sincere gratitude to you for letting us know how we can serve you better in future. We hope to have the honor to welcome you back to us in the near future and we are confident that your next stay experience would be a true JW Marriott touch. Please directly contact me if I can be of any further assistance when your future trips bring you back to Shanghai!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a beautiful contemporary hotel in Shanghai. The food and service are both excellent as are the rooms.

It is also in an excellent location for shopping.

The only complaint I have is that the rooms could use a few more electrical outlets

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Los Altos, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Great service & great location makes this hotel a rare find for the frequent travelers who need the little things to be perfect: knowledgeable bell staff, friendly front-desk, delicious Chinese restaurant, and yes, excellent breakfast buffet that focuses on quality & still has enough quantity. The coffee is great, arguably best hotel-served coffee in Shanghai. Lastly, and most important, food tastes safe & healthy. My staff & I have now logged about 15 hotel-nights there, and have not gotten sick. Highly recommended.

More detail:

In general, Shanghai hotels have followed a worrisome trend. After 1 - 2 years of opening, rooms start to develop problems, food starts to suffer, and hotel staff quality goes down at the same time. After a while brand names such as Grand Hyatt, Sheraton, Shangri La, & Sofitel have become unacceptable to stay at various times (not sure if they've changed recently, though).

So I entered to this relatively "aged" hotel with some trepidation. I was pleasantly surprised. While the hotel reminds me of an early 2000s Shanghai hotel in architecture and decor, it's clean & neat. The room is not fancy, but in excellent working order, including the central air. The internet is free for Marriott members, and other than the content firewall works well, including Skype calls. I had two lunch meetings at the Chinese restaurant, and it's top-notch, better than the Four Seasons and other hotel restaurants. It's a Cantonese restaurant with Sichuan as a second flavor, both excellent. The breakfast buffet, though, steals the show. It's a full-on sensory wake-up call for business travelers who need good breakfast. It's not only rich in variety, each item is high in quality as well, including the Western fares such as yogurt (not non-fat, so it does taste a bit like dessert, LoL), dry mango (not sweet at all, which is great), granola (tastes home made), and a variety of pastry products some with rather authentic European taste (pretzel bread). Even the coffee is excellent, if you like drip coffee which I do. It saves me from going out to the Starbucks across street :-)

I had to go to ShuZhou science park for a meeting, and the hotel helped me purchased the ticket and delivered to my room. The bell desk also recommended a specific HongZhou restaurant around the hotel which was outstanding as well. He specifically dissuaded me from going to another one, which I appreciated very much.

The hotel is convenient to get to/from, and it's near "New Territory" which I went to for a dinner meeting. But it's not crazy busy which is nice.

The only drawback is the spa, which ironically is NOT run by the Marriott but just i the same building. it's expensive, offered nearly amateurish massage at tier-one price. Someone should've given me the disclaimer!

Room Tip: Upper levels, definitely upper levels :-)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

We visited Shanghai on the way to our SE Asia trip. We have a close friend who lives in Shanghai and she recommended this hotel. What a fabulous property. Room was terrific with a great view of Shanghai. Out of our window on the 46th floor we could see the Tomorrow Square and the national museum which were within 2 km of us. We also could see the Pudong district with its fabulous skyscapers.

The service was impeccible and the concierg lounge was all we could ask for. Definitely would recommend

Room Tip: If you want to see the real Shanghai this is the place to go. Rooms looking in direction of Pudong...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

I loved this hotel. After making my way around a bustling and sometimes chaotic city I looked forward to getting back to the Marriott.
It is in an ideal location for sight seeing right in the centre of Nanjing Road.
The room and bed were first class. I upgraded to a corner view room which was lovely to look out on the city lights at night. Unfortunately the city was experiencing heavy pollution when I was there so I could not see a thing during the day.
The breakfast would go close to the best I have encountered on my many travels. The staff were a little inexperienced but they were friendly and polite.
The only downside was the hotel entry and exit I was on the 44th floor. I had to enter the hotel and take the lift to the 38th floor where the lobby was located. I then had to take another lift to the 44th floor. It was quite a trip.
The hotel was very polished and professional. I think a little Chinese cultural input into the décor would have been nice.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Leon S
Durham, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Very recognizable hotel makes it easy to find your way home! Great location - can walk to Shanghai Museum, people's park (must see the marriage market on the weekends), museum of contemporary art, temples, and the wonderful shopping left of the hotel. You return to tea and freshly baked cookies and muffins in the lobby. Great breakfast buffet, even has several flavors of frozen yogurt!
Be sure to try the yummy French toast with homemade whipped cream and syrup! Fabulous views! You ride a super fast elevator from the ground floor to the lobby on the 38th floor. Our large corner room on the 43rd floor gave us an amazing view of the sunrise in the morning, and the city lights at night. We could even see The Bund! Comfy bed, large bathroom. My only complaint was the afternoon tea - I tried to order the champagne tea, with no meat or fish, but the waitress spoke very little English and had to send someone else over. She ended up sending someone else over too. I eventually got my tea tray of yummy snacks without meat, but never got my champagne, or tea, for that matter - just a cup of hot chocolate that was not very good. But after all the effort it took to get there, I just had no energy left to complain. Other than that, totally loved our stay! Miss the sunrise views at breakfast, and seeing the skyline at night!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarsonsMommy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

We only had drinks and snacks here. The views on the 30 plus floor are spectacular. The food and drinks were excellent quality and reasonably priced for such a wonderful place, certainly not much more than in overpriced other bars and restaurants pretending to have the same 5 star image. Excellent service! Next time I would definitely consider booking my room here!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frank v
Minnie Z, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Frank,

Thank you for this great review of JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai! We are delighted to hear that you have had an excellent stay and that you have especially enjoyed the service here. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Yours sincerely,