“What a fantastic homecoming! What a haven to return to each night after a busy business day!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
Ranked #9 of 4,966 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I'm very happy to be back at this hotel, after a long break of a few years. Because of rising costs in Shanghai, and also shrinking budgets for my travels I cannot help but move to cheaper options over the past few years. Besides the very good service and near-perfect location in the heart of Shanghai, I was captivated by the design of this building and the generous and spacious rooms and of course, the Marriott brand. You can imagine how upset I was when there was a time when I had to stay as far away as Hongqiao airport area, so when prices for the JW Marriott Tomorrow Square slip back to more acceptable levels, I pounced on the chance to return here. This piece thus serves as my homecoming piece and see if the JW Marriott Tomorrow Square is still as good as it had been in earlier years.

See my earlier review of this hotel for its location, design and breathtaking view (if air pollution does not get too serious) and you will notice that none of this has changed. People's Square is the centre of Shanghai, and the metro station's Exits 9, 10 and 11 open to the path leading to the hotel entrance, no more than 40-50 metres away. The stroll to the station is pleasant as it is by a park, and passes by a few quirky cafes, an art gallery and some truly beautiful shops. For this, if nothing else, defines my liking of this hotel.

But there's of course so much more. This time, being a Gold Marriott Rewards member, I was upgraded to a junior suite. I stayed for a day at the beginning of my long trip (November), went off and returned at the last leg of the trip to this wonderful hotel for a couple of days. Both times, the room assigned to me was spacious and commanded a panaromic view over the Shanghai skyline. But I enjoyed the second room better, even as its size is slightly smaller than the first one. The layout was very sensible with a TV console sort of "separating" the huge room. One part is a living area with a sofa set and tea table, with the writing desk and clothes closets nearby. On the other side of the TV console is the huge bed and the bathroom. If you prefer to watch TV on the bed, turn the flat-screen LCD TV 180 degrees and you can sit on your bed watching late-night movies.

After all these years, none of the amenities have gone awry and I must say maintenance has been more than satisfactory. The shower with the massage jets, which thrilled me so much when I first visited this hotel years back, continued to please me this time round. Even on the 55th level, the water pressure was strong and the warm water was fast to come for a relaxing shower. The toilet indeed looked as new as it had been, with no signs of being used for almost a decade! I cannot help but commend the management of this hotel for doing such a good job up-keeping the amenities and maintaining them in such tip-top condition!

I did not see the spa, the pool and the restaurants this time round as I hardly had time. But from the look of the things when I walked through the lobby and passed along the corridors, everything remains in good working condition. The willingness to serve among staff is also truly impressive after all these years, an improvement even.

Concierge staff was especially obliging and patient with my many requests to deposit, retrieve and then storage of my luggage and packages. Again, I cannot help commend them on this, with the services by bellboys Kimi and Mark very impressive. That of their supervisor David and the rest of his team on the last day of my stay (the bellboy who helped me with the luggage and taxi when I checked out in the early morning was more than accommodating) was also comforting and compelling. Please keep all this up, as I feel it's such software which differentiates one 5-star hotel from another, and in this aspect the JW Marriott Tomorrow Square excels.

Yet the good service does not stop at the concierge. The front-desk staff was also more than willing to help, while the housekeeping ladies were very obliging, tolerant and polite while helping me keep with the mess I created each night. I cannot commend them more and if this is the type of service standard which characterises the JW Marriott Tomorrow Square, I must say I will return again and again in my frequent visits to Shanghai. The hardware is there and well-proven, so keep up on the software and I am sure not only myself but many of your guests will continue giving you top marks. To me, this is about the best this exciting Chinese city can offer yet for a traveller.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sal the Fat Fish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Valence, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I will recommend this hotel to anyone who loves to be in the centre of Shanghai for sight seeing. Great location, great room ( stay in executive room if you can afford) great service , great lounge service and food.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Likian C
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

What a class act this hotel is, from the first moment you arrive at the hotel you made to feel very special. I would like to thank Kimberley , the senior manager of guest relations for her very sweet and attentive ways.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank chriszl
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

It is difficult to picture something better. From the moment one starts the ascent to check-in it is the most wonderful hotel experience. Great staff, amazing views, great food, beautiful bar, top-notch rooms - it is one enormous collections of positive adjectives. If in Shanghai stay there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GrpCaptMandrake
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

The JW Marriott at Tomorrow Square provides an excellent base to explore this city of two faces -- its quirky locality bumping up against the glitz and glamour. Located on Nanjing West Road in the Huangpu District, the JW Marriott is right across the street from People's Square, which is a respite any day of the week but offers an interesting visit on Sundays when photos of singles are publicly marketed by matchmakers and parents alike to find a good match for sons and daughters. Yuyuan Garden (Happy Garden) is also nearby and is the center of Shanghai's Old City where you can find antiques, art, calligraphy and paintings. There are always the "Fake Markets" as well, if you're in the mood to bargain for knock-off name brands.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the Bund
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Renee F
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel while on business in Shanghai. I loved the location, especially for sightseeing – it is within walking distance to the Shanghai Museum, People’s Square, Nanjing Road, and the Bund. However, I was working in Pudong – and the commute to work was a bit difficult. I chose the hotel because it was a Marriott and because I wanted to be close to sightseeing attractions. Its architecture is distinctive – and that may be what it is best known for. The building is so recognizable that it was like a beacon when I was out sightseeing – if I could find the hotel, I could find my way!

Check-in was easy and I was upgraded to an executive suite – which was very nice, though a bit dark and dated. Because the hotel is a high-rise, the view from my room was beautiful. The concierge room is quite spacious, with very large windows which make it light and bright. I didn’t eat in the hotel, but there are a number of dining options in the hotel and in the surrounding area – in addition to the concierge lounge. The hotel is very large and be aware that, at first, it can be confusing to navigate – I believe it is 60 floors with over 300 rooms.

Given some of the newer luxury hotels in Asia, I don’t know that I would categorize the JW Marriott Shanghai as a 5 star hotel – but I would recommend the hotel and would certainly stay there again. The location, views, and the fact that is oriented for business travels makes it an excellent choice when in Shanghai.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SeeingTheWordFromORD
Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

We have been here since last Wednesday, and I must say that this has been our BEST stay ever at any Marriott property. We have a fabulous Jr. Suite on the 42nd floor with amazing views of the Bund, river and downtown. Especially noteworthy is the serenity on our floor - Very quiet and peaceful.

The Concierge Lounge is just FANTASTIC - incredible layout, great food and drink options, and awesome views! The staff is very attentive, polite, and customer service focused.

We will definitely be back, and HIGHLY recommend this JW.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple