“Best Hotel, Best Staff , Best Service”

JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
Ranked #12 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have traveled extensively around the globe. This is one of the best hotels we have stayed. The location, facility, staff, service and food are all exceptional!!! We just completed a terrible Yangtze River cruise and came here for the weekend, what a great pleasure!!

Room Tip: If you are Marriott elite member this is one of the very best concierge/executive lounges!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,655)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The lobby of this hotel is on the 38th floor with impressive views of Shanghai. Beautifully adorned lobby with extensive use of marble and a very friendly hotel staff. The breakfast and dinner buffets boast a wide variety of Eastern and Western favorites and was an incredibly pleasurable dining experience. The room I stayed in was modern with all the amenities to be expected in a 4-star hotel. Very easy to travel from here. I walked to the river from the hotel (about a 20 minute walk), the financial Gudong area is only 2 train stops away. The People's Park is right at the base of the hotel. A nearby movie theater allowed me to view Iron Man 3 a week before its release in the US (super comfortable theater also boasting tons of marble). I'd stay here again on my next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

What can I say about the JW Marriott in Shanghai, that hasn't been said already?
An impressive building, well thought-out interior, and some of the most attentive staff I've encountered in recent hotel experiences. You absolutely get what you pay for.
The room I had the pleasure of staying in was sizeable, had an appropriate working area, and a variety of lighting to suit my needs. Comfortable sized bathroom (containing a more than comfortably sized bath), and such an array of toiletries and accessories that it's almost unnecessary for one to bring a suitcase. I had an eagle's eye view from my room over Tomorrow Square. A view isn't everything, but on the rare moments that I was in my room during daylight hours, it was certainly a bonus.
If I had to make one criticism, it would be of the service or price of food inside the hotel. However, the in-room dining was again, excellent.
I've already mentioned the staff, but they do deserve recognition. Very helpful, knowledgeable, polite, not too pushy, not too restrained.
Shanghai isn't really a tourist town (only one real small "tourist area"), but if you pass through on your travels, whatever your business, I would be wrong not to recommend the Marriott as a fine place to say.
(PS - Just remembered... the comfiest beds in the world... it was like sleeping on clouds... or marshmallows... but, you know, in a good way... :)

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Just a two night stay at JW Marriott (tomorrow Square)

Facade of the Building very unique.

Upon arrival experience:
- lovely flower arrangement for the warm welcome.
- porter assists me from the point the of my airport taxi stop right in front of the entrance.
- good manning at the lobby level with attentive staff to assists hotel guest at all time.

Location: easy accessible to the most famous Nanjing Road and Nanjing Xi Road by walking distance.

Guestroom: spacious, comfortable, fully equipped with international 5 stars standard but the carpet looks abit dated.

Bathroom: abit small but is good enough for a person at the time.

Restaurant: did have enough time to try buy managed to grab a cup of illy coffee at the gourmet shop.
Note: kindly assign a more experience staff to handle guests, I assumed the one attended to me is a trainee.

Bum into a few gentlemens in the guest lift including chef i was always been greeted with smile. Seriously, this is what we should feel "home away from home"

Last but not least, Special thanks to Charles Liew on your restaurant recommendation.

Departure: again bravo to the concierge team. Eye for details the moment I pull my luggage out from the guest lift, a gentlemen which I didn't get his name immediately put down his carton of box at the side out the counter and assists me with luggages. I just love the way they ask "sir are you heading to airport? May I know which airport (hongqiao or Pudong) may I know which airline? straight tell the taxi driver where should drop me" I truly enjoy the greatest 5 stars service. I will definitely recommended friends and business partners to stay in this hotel whenever I can.

See you soon!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We just spent 3 nights at the JW in Shanghai, using it purely for pleasure, not business. It really couldn't be better -- the location is terrific for tourists, very central to so many things, including Nanjing Lu shopping street, the park across the street and Shanghai Museum. I hadn't been sure about location when I reserved the room, but after being there, I wouldn't have wanted to stay on the Bund and certainly not in Pudong.

The staff were excellent - checkin was friendly and quick, when you used the elevators (from the ground floor to the lobby, then from lobby to rooms) there were always friendly staff people to give directions and add some security, and the staff in the Cafe (breakfast and dinner time) were efficient, helpful, friendly as well. Breakfast was included in our rate and it was a huge spread, well-maintained, with a lot of staff removing plates or seeing to your needs. I had been concerned that breakfast would be a zoo, very crowded and noisy, but it was not.

Our room was not as large as we've had in some newer properties in Asia, but we did have a corner room which gave extraordinary views over the city on 2 sides (and the bathroom!). With the spectacular architecture in Shanghai skyscrapers, that view was part of the sightseeing! Everything was in good order, we were left plenty of bottled water, it was quiet (we never saw a soul in the hallway), cool and a great place to relax after 8 hours of sightseeing. Internet was free (because I am a Marriott Rewards member) and it worked perfectly. The room was in good condition, I liked the wood paneling, I'm always happy when there is an iron and ironing board in each room, and the rooms were in good condition.

A great property and the only place we'll stay in Shanghai.

Room Tip: The views of the city from corner rooms are fantastic.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have stayed at the JW about 6 times over the last 6 years and it's always great to check-in there for a few days. You can't help but be impressed with a hotel where the lobby is on the 38th floor and the guest rooms go up to the 59th floor.

The rooms are very comfortable. Not uber-hip/cool....perhaps a little chintzy...but spacious, well appointed and comfortable. I always try to get a corner room with windows on two sides and views from the bathtub. The hotel has a really good steakhouse and the standard of food and beverage is very good (breakfast is outstanding). It has some nice bars too. It also has a great gym and indoor and outdoor pools. It is very well located next the the People's Park on Nanjing Road, and the Bund and Xintiandi are both easily walking distance.

I can certainly recommend the JW

Room Tip: Get a corner room if you can.
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed here during a recent trip to Shanghai. Right on Nanjing Rd, its in a great area, walking distance to the Bund and Xiantiandi, its a great place to set up shop if you're traveling, especially if by yourself!

Got upgraded to a Jr Suite on the 59th floor of 59, so was just steps from the Executive Lounge! Great staff, very helpful and nice. Could have eaten all of my meals there, the food was so good! Only downside I found were the two restaurants I tried, their Grille and their Steakhouse. . . Both weren't terrible, but missed on a couple of things . . . all in all though, considering all of the other places to eat in the area, I'd definitely stay here again!

1  Thank MadhatterFL