“Outstanding!”

JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
Ranked #11 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The JW Marriott Tomorrow Square is centrally located and an outstanding hotel and value for the area. I actually needed to be in the Pudong area every day and it is a 2-stop easy subway ride to the center of Pudong / Oriental Pearl tower area.

The hotel is beautiful with the lobby on the 53rd floor. My hotel room was luxurious with Egyptian cotton sheets, granite bathroom, dark wood paneling and built-in closets, down pillows, comforter, etc. Great wifi access from my room gave me everything I needed to work daily in my room with multi-plugs for all international power plugs.

Finally, the price I think was quite reasonable for the level of hotel at around $200/night. I'd been going to the Shangri-La but the rates continued to get way too high nearing $350-$400/night range. Crazy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ChipRodgers
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We found the room to be convenient..But the staff had very poor command over language...
The Food here at the Executive lounge was terrible..

I wonder why they even bothered hiring a chef!!

We ordered an Nasi Goreng Java and the food was just oil and soya sauce...
The Prawns and the Chicken was raw and the food smelled.

The Breakfast was displayed very badly....They mixed the oats with the meats...The Sushi with the danishes and pretty much poor display of food. Imagine eating an apple and getting the taste of sushi or oats that smelled like pork...

Overall the food and staff service was horrible...

Avoid this place if you can...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank chocolateginny
Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Perfect business hotel

Very good food and charmingly decorated rooms.

Great views of the city

Nice gym and spa

Solid location

Costs less than others like Grand Hyatt or Four Seasons, but plenty comfortable

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I had stayed at the JW Marriott Tomorrow Square early December this year. The location is excellent! It's only 10 mins walk to the Nanjing Road Pedestrian section, and it's only 3 mins away from the Art Gallery and a nice park is only next to the gallery.

We stayed in a deluxe room on the 41/F, facing Nanjing Road. The room is quite large and clean. The bathroom is especially impressive.

Staff services was average though. Most of them speak good English, but I would've expected better customer orientation. When we were checking in, we were given a twin bedroom without being asked for our preference. In fact, our preference for a king size bed was clearly printed on the hotel voucher. We did not know about the arrangement until we had entered the room. So extra time was spent on calling front desk, waiting for reply, and changing to another room on a lower floor.

The worst part was breakfast. Variety was ok, just like normal buffet breakfast you would get in another hotel. However, the food quality is quite bad. Even the omelette that was made to order was not up to standard. And the cooks who were making the omelettes kept chatting to each other while cooking.

Cleanliness and service is another issue. After someone had left the table, the waitress would only take away the dirty utensils but would not clean the table even if there is food residue on it. You would need to ask them to clean it, but most of the time, the waitresses were not around to assist you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Combined business and pleasure, can't beat the location and the comfort. Staff well-trained and accommodating as well as fluent in English. Food and drink exceptional. Views from the rooms are outstanding. Exercise facilities adequate. It rained all the time we were there (four days) but walks in the neighborhood were rewarding, even the long one to the Bund and back.

Room Tip: Opt for the club floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2012

If you stay here, you will definitely not be disappointed!

Speaking as a Marriott Rewards memeber, perhaps some of the perks of my stay were due to my membership, but in any case, my stays were perfect.

On my way to other parts of China, I stopped in Shanghai one night coming inbound and one night prior to outbound back to the US. In each stay, the staff made me feel welcome, were so accomodating in making my stay rested and pleasant. The breakfast buffet was fantastic - everything from pastries, exotic fruit, dimsum, congee, smoothies and eggs benedict!

The rooms were very clean and the bathroom amenities were very nice - comb, vanity kit, shaving kit, toothcare kit and bath salts on top of your standard soap, shampoo, etc.

The only gripe I had was that the Executive Lounge was not nicely stocked throughout the "serving time" of their refreshments. Albeit I arrived a little late into the window of opportunity, I would have expected the food selections to be stocked until the time they stated.

The location is great for the CBD offices and easy walking distance to Nanjing Road shopping and the "faux" shopping center.

On my departure, one of the young doormen assisted me in getting a taxi quickly to get to the airport. Due to the rain, taxis were limited and he made the effort to run into the side entrance to flag a cab down for me pronto.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel for business and any sightseeing/leisure trips.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the square... quite a view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed at the JW Marriott for a week when I was in Shanghai for business. It is a very comfortable hotel that will make any American or Western traveler feel right at home. The breakfast is boutiful and lovely, and the views are ridiculous. The JW offers all of the conveniences of home, and the staff is great. And, the location is wonderful.

The fact that it is SO comfortable and familiar for Westerners was maybe the one thing I didn't love about it. You don't necessarily feel like you are in exotic Shanghai... which of course I realize is by design. I would definitely reccomend the JW to any business traveler who wants a familiar experience while traveling abroad.

I was VERY disappointed in the spa, however. The spa looks nice, as it is beautifully designed. But, the two treatments I had while I was there were quite poor and amateur. I would not visit the spa if I were to return.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business