“Convenient location. Good value for Shanghai”

Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong
Ranked #40 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
Maine
“Convenient location. Good value for Shanghai”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The hotel is located not far from the Century Subway Station where Line 2 stops which also runs to the airport. The hotel staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel needs some updating in terms of style as far as the lobby is concerned but the rooms are very tasteful and in good shape. Whoever designed this hotel, did not think about privacy in the bathroom. You walk into the room through the bathroom and the toilet section has a glass door. Internet speed is good and what is to be desired there, is the great Chinese Firewall. So if you want to access US Websites etc. you need a VPN client as in many other locations in China. Major department stores are in walking distance.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
shacy, General Manager at Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear ab1966

Thank you for taking the time to convey your thoughts on your recent stay. The business world continually pulls us in all directions and I appreciate you taking some of your “premium personal time” to communicate your experience.

Please feel free to contact me on your next visit to Shanghai in order for me to arrange a room with a more conventional bathroom arrangement. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Bruce Dupuis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Fabulous interior design of the hotel.
Beautiful lobby , large rooms , bathtub and shower together in a spacious marble bathroom and so far the best maid I ever had in any Marriott.
Maybe it was even a man.
Clean to perfection , peaceful rooms , really enjoyable.
Excellent breakfast.
Only the Italian restaurant within the hotel is a disaster.
Expensive , with limited choice of food, personnel without basic knowledge of English.
Needs serious improvement.

Room Tip: Room on top floors have better views ...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank jasmina t
shacy, General Manager at Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear jasmine t:

I am pleased you had such a great experience although I cannot take credit for your stay as we do not have an Italian restaurant in the Hotel. There are 23 Marriott properties in Shanghai and I am afraid your comments were mistakenly placed on the Courtyard by Marriott Pudong site.

Please feel free to contact me on your next visit to Shanghai. I would be pleased to show you the facilities and services of the Courtyard Pudong.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

It's a pretty good Courtyard Marriott for any business traveller. Location is good, close to metro and just a short driving distance to the central business area in Pudong. Nice room with decent gym and good breakfast. Nothing fancy and don't expect it's a luxury hotel, but service level is quite high.

• Stayed May 2014
shacy, General Manager at Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear davidcklai
Good to hear you enjoyed the gym and breakfast. Both are great starts to the day.
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

The rooms themselves were compact but functional. The toliet had a glass door which i found weird initially. Hotel staff were friendly and accomodating.

Breakfast provided a good range of food and was of good quality.

The hotel is located in a convenient spot to most of the offices in the pudong area. I would recommend this hotel and will be staying there again when i next visit shanghai on business.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Harmeet S
I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel team friendly and accommodating. I am a true believer that is the people in a hotel that make a difference and create customer loyalty. I have shared your positive breakfast comments with the Executive Chef and his brigade.
Warwickshire
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

I write this review after one week of a 2 week stay at this hotel. The level of service is high and all the staff are helpful and friendly. Most speak quite good English so communication isn't a problem. The room I have is spacious and has all the amenities you would wish for. The maid service is great the mini bar is replenished daily.

Breakfast is a buffet style with cook to order items as well. A great selection I must say even the most fussy of eaters should find something.

I forgot my jumper one night in the lobby and the next day I reported it when I went to breakfast they took the details and before I could take my first bite it was returned to me. Well impressed as I haven't had the same with other hotels I have stayed in.

All in all a great hotel and would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
shacy, General Manager at Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear askpackers:

Thank you for taking the time to convey your thoughts during your stay. Travelling in Shanghai can be very hectic and I appreciate you taking some of your “premium personal time” to communicate your experience.

I am a firm believer that it is the associates who make a hotel and not the structure. I am very pleased my team is making such a favorable impression on you and hope that we will continue to be your “home away from home” while in Shanghai.

Please feel free to contact me personally if I can be of any assistance during your stay.

cy.shacy.gm@courtyard.com
Nanjing
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This hotel is sometimes perfect and other times just ok. I have stayed here on numerous occasions as it is close to our offices in Shanghai. If you are a member and get upgraded to the executive level, make sure you dont get one of the strange rooms where you walk into the bathroom, toilet shower before you reach the bedroom, very uncomfortable when ordering room service or if your partner needs to get to room while you are using the facilities.

The executive lounge area is rather nice but in all the time that I have been there I know all the dishes that will be served together on what days it will be served, no variety available.

Staff are friendly, breakfast is good, rooms are clean although smelling of cigarette smoke sometimes and location is not bad, the subway or metro is one black away.

Room Tip: Avoid the walk in bathroom bedrooms where you need to walk through the bathroom to reach bedroom.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank SAinnanjing
shacy, General Manager at Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear SAinnanjing:

I have shared your comments concerning the Executive Floor selection with the culinary team who will look at creating some new menus. I have also shared your positive comments concerning breakfast. Whilst it is always difficult to hear that we did not meet a customer’s expectations it is only through customer feedback, both positive and negative that we can further develop our product.

Smoking is a concern all through China and we are continuously looking for the best solution to accommodate both smoking and non-smoking guests while enforcing the local bylaws.

Please feel free to contact me on your next visit to Shanghai in order for me to arrange a room with a more conventional bathroom arrangement. Once again thank you for your valuable comments.

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Just spent one night on the last leg of a long trip in the mainland. Overall, the experience was great, including a very nice breakfast on the morning I departed. I had a big problem with room service late at night--it started when they didn't have the menu item I wanted (I recall it was a basic turkey sandwich), so I ordered a burger that finally arrived, but was nowhere close to cooked. I called to report it, then was eventually greeted with a replacement almost an hour later. By that time, I was done eating and just wanted to go to sleep. Fortunately, they didn't give me any problem removing the charge from my bill, but the whole ordeal was so drawn out that I was just very disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
shacy, General Manager at Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Rob L:

Whilst always difficult to hear I am pleased that you pointed out the problem you experienced in Room Service. It is only through customer feedback, both positive and negative that we can further develop our services.

Once again please accept my apologies for our shortcomings. I would like to thank you for your loyalty to the Courtyard Pudong Shanghai by Marriott and hope this isolated incident will not deter you from patronizing the hotel on your next visit to Shanghai.