“Not like Courtyard in the US”

Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong
Ranked #40 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Portland, Oregon
“Not like Courtyard in the US”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed here last May and was wonderfully surprised that this was a Courtyard. It is more like a normal Marriott in the US. My room was very spacious. Of course being Platinum with Marriott helped as I got to use the executive floor for check-in and happy hour every evening. The restaturant bar was very nice and I will always remember Sunny at the bar for being, well sunny. She was always bright and cheerful and it was great fun to teach her about American Football. I have not had a chance to go back but Iook forward to when I can.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the higher floors. Decent views from there.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Mr. Stephen,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your positive feedback.

As our Elite Platinum Member, it is always our pleasure to have you staying with us at our hotel. Even more satisfying is to get such a nice review. I am very happy that you have enjoyed your stay and I will make sure to forward your compliments to our Spice Café waitress Sunny.

I wish you all the best and I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel during your next trip to Shanghai.

Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard in April of 2012. There was a very interesting deal on Deluxe Suites when booked more than a month in advance (not refundable). It came to about the same price as a Superior room. I was really impressed by the size of the room, the quality of the furniture, the overall cleanliness and the executive level service. The bed was really comfortable.

The staff was friendly and eager to please. The lobby is large and welcoming.

The executive lounge is top quality. The food was good and the atmosphere was really relaxed. The young ladies working at the lounge were very nice and polite. One afternoon, as I was enjoying a bear, I saw a senior attendant giving English lessons to new attendant to better serve customer. Nice attention!

The hotel is not really close to touristic attractions but at walking distance from the gigantic Next Age shopping mall and a couple of subway stations away from the famous Pearl tower and from the Bund. The Shanghai subway is very simple to use and indications are clear. I enjoyed walking in the neighborhood of the hotel.

If I have the chance to return to the wonderful city of Shanghai, I would return to the Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong without any hesitation.

Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your extensive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed staying at our hotel. We always strive to provide our guests with the most comfortable experience, therefore I appreciate your compliments, particularly regarding your room and the executive lounge.

I hope you will be coming back to Shanghai in the near future and we will be able to welcome you at our hotel once more.

Poway, California
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Just like the title says....

Pros:
Nice Lobby, Friendly staff, Very reasonable rates, recently remodeled, decent food, inexpensive meeting room rates, [typical Marriott] At Your Service staff attitude, many restaurants within walking distance

Cons:
Staff English could improve; A/C in rooms functional, but not great, buffets are okay (but not great like renaissance or Marriot City Centre), executive lounge not 24/7, charge for printing at business center is higher and even higher at lounge), executive lounge and rooms at middle floors, floors 1 through 4 (not ground) show signs of age (beat up doors, molding, non-remodeled bathroom). No pool. There appears to be a hospital leasing out part of the hotel, which is odd. There are escalators that go no where.

I would stay here again for the rate. I would definitely do another event here. Leo, Cynthia, and entire staff were pleasant to work with, responsive, reasonable, wllling t succumb to my negotiations, and did not stress out over the little details (i.e. let me cancel rooms at 11 PM)..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your feedback.

I appreciate your compliments regarding our staff. I will definitely make sure to pass your positive feedback to our At Your Service and Event management associates.
As you have mentioned, we are aware that some of our employees lack the English proficiency, but I would like to assure you that special language classes are being conducted and hopefully during your next stay you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Furthermore, I would like to assure you that there are no hospitals operating at our hotel. However, there is a medical check center on the 3rd floor in the office building which is accessible through the side entrance and those escalators are for their convenience. I apologize for any misunderstandings that it may have caused you.

I would like to wish you safe future travels and I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel during your next stay in Shanghai.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stopped here for food because everything was closed. I tried two different mixed drinks, both of which were not good (including a long island iced tea). I also had the wonton soup, which was unappetizing. I wouldn't recommend eating here. They were very prompt and attentive.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your feedback.

It is very unfortunate that you had an unpleasant dining experience at our hotel’s restaurant. I have already informed our Director of Food and Beverage and our Executive Chef about your comments regarding the taste of the food and mixed drinks. I can assure you that we will be monitoring the quality of these items to make sure they are of high standards.

I would like to wish you safe future travels and I hope on your next visit to Shanghai, I will have an opportunity to welcome you at our hotel.

Georgia
Reviewed April 10, 2013

After searching for a hotel that would put me close to the New International Exhibition venue and creature conveniences such as restaurants, the Courtyard seemed to fill the bill. One often thinks of Courtyard from our on the road experiences here in the US, but think "Big City" when you think of this one. Standing tall, it is easily recognizable even through some of Shanghai's smoggy days....which seem more frequent than ever.

Attentive staff, prompt service in the rooms, ample coffee refills in the morning and when you need pinpoint directions to an electronics store because you might have left a charging cable.....no problem. The concierge laid out a simple walk path that put me right in the middle of Shanghai's Times Square and literally hundreds of options for cables.

If you have traveled to China previously, you won't be shocked by the absence of room air conditioning during the off season. Windows open slightly to allow cooler air in.

Shanghai is a HUGE city and the street noise seems New York constant, however the hotel is situated just off Dong Fang Road and from my room's perspective, it was not a bother. Ask for a higher level room to avoid any lingering noise.

An upcoming trip already has this hotel in the plans.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room if you want to avoid noise from the street.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank RideHigh10
shacy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai – Pudong and providing us with your feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I am glad that we were able to assist you and your searches for a cable were successful. We always strive to provide our guests with the most comfortable and effortless experience, so please do not hesitate to ask for assistance should require any during your future stays.

I would like to wish you safe travels and I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel during your next stay in Shanghai.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed April 9, 2013

In the midst of most unhelpful taxi drivers and others, this hotel staff make you feel comfortable in an otherwise scary situation. Excellent in all guest contact departments. Good Breakfast. Nice compact rooms, first time I have had a room where you literally pass through the bathroom!!! but well managed and designed. Good facilites, water pressure etc. Very well kept hotel as well. Did not have time recreational facialites whaever was there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your compliments regarding our staff. We always strive to provide our guests with the most comfortable and pleasant experience through customer care, therefore your positive feedback means we are on the right track.

I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel next time you will be in Shanghai.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights in October 2012, on a business trip. Within walking distance of the subway (8-10 min walk) and close to many restaurants and a shopping mall. Courteous staff, very eager to please. The lobby greeters and concierge desk staff appeared to be mostly college kids (spoke to one of them), with just enough knowledge of English to help with directions and taxis. Room was clean and comfortable, internet access was good. When I asked for the door to the balcony to be opened (was on a high floor), was made to sign a lengthy waiver of liability before being given the key. Found it funny, but I can see it from their point of view :-) View from the room was mainly other tall hotels and office buildings close by, that were well lit up at night. Nothing to write home about. This hotel is still a few miles away from central Pudong where all the really fancy (and $$$) sykscraper hotels live. Not a big deal. The Chinese restaurant in the hotel (not the one in the lobby, but on one of the higher floors) was excellent. Upscale ambience, but not very crowded, possibly due to the slightly higher prices, but still affordable by US standards. But the food was well worth it, IMO. You could tell that the chef took pride in his creations and presentations. Ended up eating there three times as I was too tired to venture out after long days. Enjoyed my meal every time. All in all, a conveniently located hotel for business travel. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors. Traffic noise from the busy main road could be an issue on the lower...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and plan to do so in the future. Furthermore, it is wonderful to know that you had great experience at our “Hua Mei Gardens” Chinese restaurant and I will be sure to forward your compliments to our chefs.

Also, as you have pointed out, we are aware that some of our concierge desk employees lack the English proficiency, but I would like to assure you that we are conducting special classes to improve in this area and hopefully during your next stays you will be pleasantly surprised.
Meanwhile, I would like to wish you best of luck and I look forward to welcoming you at our hotel.