“Great location, wonderful service and rooms”

Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong
Ranked #41 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Darien, Connecticut
“Great location, wonderful service and rooms”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

If you are a Marriott Rewards member, especially Gold or Platinum, stay here! Upgrades and access to Executive Lounge are worth the stay... Free food and drink! Located near old Shanghai railroad station this 30 floor hotel is minutes by cheap cab from anywhere and close to Metro. Staff is all bilingual and anxious to please.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to enjoy the skyline views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cameron06820
shacy, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments after your stay here! Thanks for your detail points on us! Your great words will encourage us do it better! We are looking forward to your continus reservation in our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was staying in the hotel from 1-4 Sep 2012.

1. I have reserved a king-size bed room and was confirmed, but was told not available during check-in.
2. The mattress is too hard for me.
3. The entrance is facing the side road, hence took me some time to find.
4. On 3 Sep, my entire floor was flooded when I returned from work. I was told there was a burst pipe. It was chaotic and I found my stuff misplaced and missing after the hotel stuff changed my room to a non-flooded floor.
5. Security of my personal belonging was breached as staff opened my bag (in my absence) to squeeze my working clothes (ironed) in.
6. No sincere apology after all these incidents.
7. No wifi in room.
8. Location wise, it is pretty convenient

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jackmh
Thanks for your comments after your recent stay at our hotel!

We would like to extend our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we may have caused you. Your overall opinions are useful to us and help us to improve hotel service and make more guest satisfied. We are looking forward to your continus coming to our hotel. We will certainly try our very best to make sure your next stay is an enjoyable one.
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Getting into the hotel after being at another Marriot I knew what to expect (more or less) but the welcome was very friendly and continued with a complimentary drink, free room upgrade (Im only a "Silver" member) and some fruits & water which waited in my room. The location was'nt that good if you need the metro or if you'de like to walk somewhere.Nevertheless, It's not far away (by taxi) to the opposite side of the Bund (Wai Tan) which I think is nicer than the opposite over-visited side.
Right outside the hotel there is a fairly cheap massage that might look sleazy at first but was quite good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your comments after your stay here! Its our greatest pleasure to delight our guests! We are glad you're satisfied with our service for you during your stay! Your great words will encourage us do it better!

We are looking forward to your continus reservation in our hotel. We will certainly try our very best to make sure your next stay is an enjoyable one.
Wigton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed here twice during our China tour and found it to be a very friendly hotel. The staff were excellent and always had smiles and were very helpful.
The rooms we had were very clean and comfortable and quite large. There is tea and coffee making which is replemished every day. It even has an iron and board for any clothes that get creased.
Breakfast was excellent and very varied.
We ate here in the evening on several occasions and it was always very good. We especially enjoyed the buffet on a Saturday evening and would recommend you try it.
The hotel is well situated close to the metro.
We would definately stay here again and can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
shacy, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this review, September 28, 2012

Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We were booked into hotel as part of our China tour. It was a comfortable hotel with friendly staff. Although it is in the business sector of the city, there are good facilities nearby. Easy access to Metro, which takes you the Bund in 10mins. Breakfast was very good, variety and once again very good service.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Germantown Hills, Illinois
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

I normally stay in the Hongqiao area in Shanghai due to the heavy concentration of Western restaurants as I usually need a break from Chinese food. The hotel itself is very nice with excellent service for China. They even set up a TP Link in my room for wifi as I am a silver Marriott member and there was no charge. Very comfortable room, with good A/C, actually had to turn up the temperature. Also room was about 150 RMB less than Hongqiao. Alas the area is not as good for getting a taste of home as Hongqiao. Ended up eating at hotel buffet the first night as all the restaurants had lines outside the hotel. Hotel buffet was OK at best. Ate at Yu Xin Sichuan restaurant for lunch (in mall next to hotel) and it was super spicy which I like with English menus. Took a taxi to Boxing Cat Brewery the last night. I will probably move back to Hongqiao for my next visit to Shanghai but it has nothing to do with the hotel itself. It's still 40 min to Pudong airport from this hotel so do not think it is close to the airport.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Rayleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have stayed in many good hotels. With most reputable chains, it is unusual if there is much to complain about the rooms, food or choices offered. Designs and decoration varies, and this hotel has recently been refurbished with the rooms being bright and airy through much used of glass and modern furniture. As noted by some others, the new open plan bathroom with glass internal doors has some compromises, but does give more space and there is a solid sliding screen door to provide privacy when required. Some hotels offer bigger rooms (but these are quite big enough) and more gadgets (that I have no need for), but this one has the basics very well sorted. Rooms have a large comfortable bed -- firm but with soft memory foam topper pad, new bathroom facilities with large shower cubicle. The hotel boasts a good selection of restaurants and lobby bar plus great executive lounge if your rate or Marriott Rewards status enables access. Breakfasts in either location are excellent with wide selection. With a few minor exceptions where refurbishment is not complete, the decor in this hotel is bright and welcoming despite being one of the older buildings in Pudong -- but nothing in Pudong is actually old! Nearby is the Century Avenue Metro station with easy links to the rest of the city, and right behind the hotel is the 96 Plaza shopping mall, which is actually 50% restaurants -- another great culinary selection. Explore some little alleys off nearbye streets such as Loashan Lu and you will find fascinating local markets and specialty shops. Walk along Weifang Lu to the end and find gardens along the river, eventually connecting with the Pudong Bund.

However, although the hotel deserves praise for many aspects, what really marks it out as my place of choice to stay in Pudong is the staff. Just as in several other hotels, they are polite and efficient. But they are also very friendly and if you show willingness, will engage in conversation, happy to improve their spoken English. When travelling for several weeks without family or friends, this makes an enormous difference -- an important but often isolated business trip actually becomes a pleasure, as I now have good friends there. Many of the staff are students on a 6 or 12 month placement as part of their course. They are also away from home, very keen to improve their language skills, and make a great effort to succeed in their assigned tasks. Some of the friends I made will not still be there next time I go, but I will have opportunity to make more new friends and I still keep in e-mail contact with others who teach me about different areas of the country.

I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Steve_48098
shacy, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this review, August 17, 2012