“Overall Very Good - One Negative”

Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong
Ranked #41 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My Company normally stay at the Boam Hotel or Supreme Tower which are right next to the Marriott Courtyard.
I arrived at the hotel at Midnight and was taken to my room which was decorated very well, there is a bathroom foyer with glass panels to the toilet and shower. So could be embarrassing if the service staff were to enter the room. But the decor was good. This lead to a reasonable sized double room. Not masses of space but adequate. Bed was typically Chinese harder than Western standards. A desk and flat screen TV. A decent room. As I had traveled 9 hours I decided to have a drink at the bar, and asked about ordering some food to my room from the 24 hour menu. I was told the kitchen had just been cleaned so I had to wait 20-30 minutes. Not 24 hours then. At the bar was given some olvies, sausage and snacks, which was welcomed as the Kitchen had just been cleaned.
I had a good night sleep and went down to Breakfast which was easily the best I had in China, had a good mix of Western, Chinese and Japanese. Buffet Style so you could sample things that normally you wouldn't. A nice touch was the staff brought around some Chinese Dumplings to sample and explained what the food was.
As I had a midnight flight I left my bags their and they were happy to get them out once or twice for me to pack. Also was able to have a shower in the gym prior to travel home, again a nice touch.
The location is very good for Pudong, a 10 minute walk to the Metro, a 30 minute walk to the main Pudong Centre, there is also a decent shopping mall just next door.
Overall It was good, now for the negative. I decided to head to the Airport via the Maglev. A high speed magnetic Train which is a 10 minute taxi ride away from the airport. After speaking with two doormen and explaining this was my destination, and pointing to it on the map. A taxi was called and I was on my way. After 20 minutes I started to get nervous. I asked the taxi driver in English, but my lack of Chinese was proving a problem. I had to make three international phone calls to establish that the Taxi driver was heading straight to the Airport. Unfortunately this reflects badly on the hotel, as I believe it was the last memory of the hotel, and for me took the shine of the stay,

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KamikazeRed
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments after your stay here! Your positive remarks provide the strongest incentive for us to keep refining our services. Its our greatest pleasure to delight our guests! We will be most delighted to welcome you again to Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong

Reviewed July 3, 2012

The hotel is pretty old there in shanghai but what I loved the mist about it was it's location which was brilliant, combined with the pricing. Hotel was very clean and the staff was super friendly. I got a top floor room with a balcony (22 floor I think and I loved it. The food was great too. I would stay there again if I went there.

• Stayed: December 2011
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments after your stay here! Its our greatest pleasure to delight our guests!

We are looking forward to your continus reservation in our hotel. We will certainly try our very best to make sure your next stay is an enjoyable one.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

The rooms were clean and comfortable. They had great service and very friendly staff. The food in the hotel was great, especially breakfast. It's beautiful inside and in a great location just off of Century Avenue, the main road through Pudong. The door men are very helpful and will direct the cab driver where to take you. Just remember to carry one of the hotels cards with you when you travel around the city if you don't speek Chineese. Just show it to the cab driver and he will get you back to the hotel. I was never overcharghed by a taxi driver. Just remember to always take a taxi that is licensed by the government.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you so much for your stay and comments! Your positive remarks provide the strongest incentive for us to keep refining our services. Its our greatest pleasure to delight our guests!

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I spent a week at this hotel in May 2012. With my marriott status i was upgraded to one of the newer rooms. the room may have been renovated but i won't call it an upgrade. for one, the bathroom is open, the moment you open the maindoor you are the main attaction to whoever is walking outside - not good if you are the sharing the room. second the room is tiny, not enough room for a yoga mat even, there is no wifi in the room (which was quickly remedied with the loan of a router). service is spotty too, especially house keeping, the staff looked unhappy whenever i had a special request for extra toiletries. no one seems happy to be working there except the managers. couple of things that worked here - the breakfast buffet while limited is good, the gym is up to date and clean. the hotel is close to food and shopping but not that close to the train station. an okay hotel for a quick business trip but I think it maybe better to seek alternatives for longer or leisure trips...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
shacy, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Thank you so much for your coming and long stay in our hotel! Also thanks for your comments after your stay at our hotel! Your overall opinions are useful to us and help us to improve hotel service and make more guest satisfied.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

A typical Courtyard property - business like and hardly any complaints. The bus stand is bang in front of the main entrance and the tube station is just 400 metres away. I stayed there for over a month and got many opportunities to try their restaurants as well as their lunch and breakfast buffets...very good spreads everywhere each time featuring both Chinese & Continental cuisine.

The rooms are clean and spacious. Housekeeping and overall service was impeccable. Bottled water is complimentary. The staff is very energetic and attentive. Most of them are eager to brush up their English-speaking skills and gladly spent time in having long conversations and passing on tips on shopping and getting around.

The conference facilities, internet/phone/vc connections were adequate for our requirements. Most of our laptops did get hit with Chinese malware but that's no fault of the hotel I guess. I got good exchange rates at the money changer near the reception area. Happened to see many weddings take place in the banquet halls and from the arrangements and the beaming guests, it seemed that they event-manage pretty well. Even our evening tea/coffee and snacks everyday had lot of variety. I did not have to explore too many options outside to enjoy a wide variety of Chinese cuisine. For people dying to have non-Chinese stuff, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Starbucks are all within walking distance. Both the Shanghai airports are about 30 mins drive from the hotel. There are major apparel and electronics malls very close by for shopaholics.

There is no swimming pool but a pretty decent in-house spa. Rates were a tad higher than establishments nearby.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your long stay in our hotel! Also thanks for your comments after your stay here! Your positive remarks provide the strongest incentive for us to keep refining our services. Its our greatest pleasure to delight our guests!

Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed at this Marriott in Pudong for two weeks May 2012. We were very pleased with the whole experience. The breakfast buffett had options for every taste. The staff will remember your likes and dislikes if you take the time to let them speak to you. The young girls are mainly college girls trying to get their hospitality degrees, and truly appreciate when you take the time to let them ask you questions. The second floor had a excellent lunch/dinner and could sometimes be very smoky. Americans are used to smoke-free enviornment, so ask to move to different table if the smoke bothers you. Anyway, the lunch/dinner place is highly recommended.
Hotel is walking distance from the metro, so you can go anyway in Shanghai on the subway.
Directly behind the hotel is a mall. We ate at most of the places in the mall. Must try the Haagan Daz, this is the gourment ice cream place. Not at all like here in America. They have linen table clothes and the desserts are amazing. Room in Marriott was spacious and quiet. Room service was fast and easy and helpful. This was a business trip for my husband and vacation for me. We truly love going to Shanghai.

Room Tip: when making reservations, make sure they know that you want quiet and not near any elevator or near...
1  Thank LundehundMom

Thank you so much for your comments after your stay in our hotel! Its our greatest pleasure to delight our guests. We are so grateful for your kinds words on our team and each service area. These positive remarks provide the strongest incentive for us to keep refining our services.

Once again, thank you for your continued patronage. We will be most delighted to welcome you again to Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong. Hope you will have more vacation in Shanghai!

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Check in was a breeze. Room was newly redone and everything was very clean and nice. Staff was excellent and very helpful. One complaint is that the room had a strong odor like vinyl or drywall which never went away.

Close to the subway market shops.

The club lounge was very nice to read the paper, catch up on work or make calls.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments on us! Its our greatest pleasure to delight our guests. We are so grateful for your kinds words on our team and each service area.