“Pretty good interior and spacious suite” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai Pudong

DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai Pudong
Ranked #64 of 4,966 Hotels in Shanghai
Holly, Michigan
“Pretty good interior and spacious suite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Staff were very attentive. As a diamond member they upgrade me to suite for free which is a very big room with separate living room and bedroom. Very good view from the other side of tower. Food was really good as well. I don't have any issues during my stay will come back for sure.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear WeiHao L,

It is always great to hear from our Diamond HHonors guests and receive feedback on their visit. I appreciate your business and loyalty. It was wonderful to read you had a great visit and felt the staff were attentive and the food was really good. Most importantly you plan to come back and stay with us in the future.

david.givens@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I booked a three night stay at the Doubletree Pudong over December 13-16. I booked use of Hilton Honors Points and about $50 a night. I am a gold HHonors Status so I was looking forward to the upgrade room & breakfast and happy hour in the Executive Lounge.

About a week before the trip though I got an email saying the hotel may be overbooked and I may not get upgraded. This ruined a little of the anticipation.

We got to the hotel Friday night and there didn't seem any issue. Hotel lobby was decorated with a huge Christmas Tree that was definitely worth a picture or two Got the one bedroom suite upgrade without an issue. The suite was NICE! Great living room, dining table, separate area for what used to be a kitchen, and an extra half bathroom. Don't think I read the part about the extra half bathroom anywhere.

The Exectuive Lounge Food and Drinks were Fantastic. We arrived at 7am every morning and some of the foods were still warming up but loved the ambience. Did wish the lounge opened earlier because we were dealing with jetlag and woke up around 4am. The omlettes could be cooked a little longer for the egg to firm up but the selection of food items was great. The happy hour times weren't convenient for the go-go tourists that we were, but the lounge let us get a to go box to take things with us as we went. The glass bottle drinks were great.

The internet access was spotty like what people wrote. I got an individual router but that didn't work much better. I was able to tether my computers and ipads to my phone because with T-Mobile had free international roaming and data, but this was slow.

One hotel employee at the hotel desk did question my request for DoubleTree cookies on the 2nd day of my stay, which has never happened to me at any other hotel stays. After telling him the hotel phone even says you can request cookies, he reluctantly gave me the cookies.

The exercise room and the pool were well maintained. Both were quite a distance from the new tower, but the decorations on the wall were worth the walk.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear ESQteam,

Many thanks for the review and 5 Stars, it is very much appreciated. I was happy to see you utilized your HHonors benefits. The program is fantastic, everyone who stays with Hilton should join. The Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookie is iconic and we should never hestitate to provide another cookie or two to our valued guests. There is nothing better than a glass of milk and a warm Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookie.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Hotel was great with fantastic suite room and quiet rooms. Service from staff was disappointing - this has to be the height of surly, unfriendly service and this applies to all areas. From breakfast to room service, don't expect to be treated as a 'guest'.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Vimala Rajah J,

Thank you for your recent review and 3 stars. Please accept my apology, it seems we missed a wonderful opportunity to make you a loyal guest of the Doubletree Shanghai. I am very disappointed that we did not treat you to the excellent service that we are known to provide. We will use your comments to take a step back and refocus our efforts.

United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

I was very pleasantly surprized by the quality of the hotel. I had been upgraded to a suite that was marvelous. It would have only been better if I could have stayed longer than one night. I was quickly checked in and made my way to my room. the suite was very large with 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and lving area. The bedroom and large bathroom were seperate from the lving area. The bathroom had seperate bathtub and shower. The bed was very comfortable unlike most beds there that are very firm.
It was an easy walk from the metro but the area that must be walked through was full of massage parlors but I didn't feel like it was an unsafe area.
It took the taxi 45 minutes to travel to Pudong airport at 5 AM so plan accordingly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sumier,

Many thanks for the review and 5 Stars. I was happy to read you had a wonderful experience. Hopefully your next visit will be longer.

Come Back Soon!

singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed at Doubletree for four nights last week to attend an exhibition at the Shanghai new expo. Overall my experience of the Doubletree is there is nothing actually wrong with it but there is nothing you'd want to shout about either.

Location is in a ho-hum part of Pudong, but it has pretty quick access to the expo centre via cab. Otherwise its quite far from most things and the area nearby is ok for convenience stores and massage places but not much else I could see.

The hotel itself is expansive but lacking in character. Service was generally fine, but the English level wasn't great (yes I know I was in China, but its in comparison to Hyatt, Kerry etc in Shanghai), for a purported five star hotel I believe, although I would give special mention to Summer from reservations who booked my airport transfer on arrival.

Rooms a very good size, liked having a sofa and bathroom with separate shower and bath. Internet in room was both wired only and charged which is not up with the times.
Food was ok, breakfast was probably the best bit, but then on my last day when I wanted a late breakfast found out closed at a very early (for a hotel) 10am and had 15mins to grab stuff - again not in line most other hotels of this standard I stay at.

For those who like a soft bed, warning the bed is rock hard even by my own liking - although I still prefer that to too soft.

For what its supposed to be neither good nor bad, defines average in the world of hotels

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Trixiebear,

Thank you for the 3 stars, I appreciate the time you took to send us your thoughts on your recent visit to the Doubletree. Even though you ranked us as middle of the road, I was still able to find some bright spots to your visit with special kudos going to Summer in reservations. I will make sure she knows that you gave her special mention in your comments.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

We were welcomed by the friendly check-in staff and everyone was offered a warm cookie. That was definitely a great start for our stay. The rooms were new, clean and tidy. Bed was comfortable. Location was OK. Around 7-minutes walk away from the nearest metro station. Easy enough to travel around on a cab too. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear tmtexpress,

Many thanks for the 5 stars, we like being known as warm and comfortable. I was happy to read you found our front desk staff to be friendly, our rooms clean and tidy, and enjoyed our wonderful warm Doubletree Chocolate Chip cookies. Secret alert, if you want a 2nd cookie, you just have to ask, we enjoy seeing our guests smile while eating our cookies.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed there for 4 nights and was greatly impressed by the place.

We reached around 5 or 6pm check-in was a breeze. I love their signature cookies. It tasted heavenly, and the receptionists were kind enough to offer each of us an additional cookie as we were very exhausted and hungry from the long flight journey.

The room is very comfortable and clean. I love the bath tub.

The hotel is very strategically located and within walking distance to the nearest railway station, and further up, there are restaurants and shops.

The highlight of the stay was their heavenly breakfast. I am not a morning person but everyday at 7am, I would wake up just for their breakfast. The buffet has a wide variety of choices and everything tastes really good. I especially fancy their egg station.

Overall, I had a really nice stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sunseanfood,

Many thanks for the 5 stars and review. I liked your term strategically located, we are close to many tourist sites with easy transportation options. I have passed your comments to our Chef that you found his breakfast buffet "heavenly". It is always a nice way to start your day with a great breakfast. Our warm Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookie continues to make our guests happy, it was good to see you were able to enjoy several of them.