“Great service and a great room, close to metro”

DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai Pudong
Ranked #64 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
United States
“Great service and a great room, close to metro”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I was very pleasantly surprized by the quality of the hotel. I had been upgraded to a suite that was marvelous. It would have only been better if I could have stayed longer than one night. I was quickly checked in and made my way to my room. the suite was very large with 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and lving area. The bedroom and large bathroom were seperate from the lving area. The bathroom had seperate bathtub and shower. The bed was very comfortable unlike most beds there that are very firm.
It was an easy walk from the metro but the area that must be walked through was full of massage parlors but I didn't feel like it was an unsafe area.
It took the taxi 45 minutes to travel to Pudong airport at 5 AM so plan accordingly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Sumier,

Many thanks for the review and 5 Stars. I was happy to read you had a wonderful experience. Hopefully your next visit will be longer.

Come Back Soon!

david.givens@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
singapore
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed at Doubletree for four nights last week to attend an exhibition at the Shanghai new expo. Overall my experience of the Doubletree is there is nothing actually wrong with it but there is nothing you'd want to shout about either.

Location is in a ho-hum part of Pudong, but it has pretty quick access to the expo centre via cab. Otherwise its quite far from most things and the area nearby is ok for convenience stores and massage places but not much else I could see.

The hotel itself is expansive but lacking in character. Service was generally fine, but the English level wasn't great (yes I know I was in China, but its in comparison to Hyatt, Kerry etc in Shanghai), for a purported five star hotel I believe, although I would give special mention to Summer from reservations who booked my airport transfer on arrival.

Rooms a very good size, liked having a sofa and bathroom with separate shower and bath. Internet in room was both wired only and charged which is not up with the times.
Food was ok, breakfast was probably the best bit, but then on my last day when I wanted a late breakfast found out closed at a very early (for a hotel) 10am and had 15mins to grab stuff - again not in line most other hotels of this standard I stay at.

For those who like a soft bed, warning the bed is rock hard even by my own liking - although I still prefer that to too soft.

For what its supposed to be neither good nor bad, defines average in the world of hotels

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Trixiebear,

Thank you for the 3 stars, I appreciate the time you took to send us your thoughts on your recent visit to the Doubletree. Even though you ranked us as middle of the road, I was still able to find some bright spots to your visit with special kudos going to Summer in reservations. I will make sure she knows that you gave her special mention in your comments.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We were welcomed by the friendly check-in staff and everyone was offered a warm cookie. That was definitely a great start for our stay. The rooms were new, clean and tidy. Bed was comfortable. Location was OK. Around 7-minutes walk away from the nearest metro station. Easy enough to travel around on a cab too. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear tmtexpress,

Many thanks for the 5 stars, we like being known as warm and comfortable. I was happy to read you found our front desk staff to be friendly, our rooms clean and tidy, and enjoyed our wonderful warm Doubletree Chocolate Chip cookies. Secret alert, if you want a 2nd cookie, you just have to ask, we enjoy seeing our guests smile while eating our cookies.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed there for 4 nights and was greatly impressed by the place.

We reached around 5 or 6pm check-in was a breeze. I love their signature cookies. It tasted heavenly, and the receptionists were kind enough to offer each of us an additional cookie as we were very exhausted and hungry from the long flight journey.

The room is very comfortable and clean. I love the bath tub.

The hotel is very strategically located and within walking distance to the nearest railway station, and further up, there are restaurants and shops.

The highlight of the stay was their heavenly breakfast. I am not a morning person but everyday at 7am, I would wake up just for their breakfast. The buffet has a wide variety of choices and everything tastes really good. I especially fancy their egg station.

Overall, I had a really nice stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sunseanfood,

Many thanks for the 5 stars and review. I liked your term strategically located, we are close to many tourist sites with easy transportation options. I have passed your comments to our Chef that you found his breakfast buffet "heavenly". It is always a nice way to start your day with a great breakfast. Our warm Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookie continues to make our guests happy, it was good to see you were able to enjoy several of them.

Oxfordshire
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night on the recommendation of a friend. Was upgraded to an Exec Room, and was personally greeted by the manager of the Exec Wing. Room was excellent, with a very comfortable bed. A great pity that I had to leave early to get a flight home. I also went to the restaurant on the 46th floor in the other wing. Food choice was very good, as was the quality. Only disappointment was it was a bit murky, so the view was not as great as it could have been. Left at 5.00am and had to wake up the guy on the desk to check out, still it was 5.00am. Took 30 mins to the airport by taxi (170 RMB), so a good location in that regard, cant comment beyond that as I did not have time to explore the area.

Would return.

Room Tip: Exec Rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Deltagolf,

Thank you for the review and 5 stars. I was happy to read it was your first visit and we impressed you enough that you would return in the future. That is always great to hear. Even though we are only 30 minutes from Pudong airport (not too bad) next time try the Maglev train. The ride from the aiport is only 7 minutes to the train station close to the hotel. The taxi from there is only 10 minutes. Hopefully on your next visit the skies will be clear; the view from the 46th floor restaurant (X-Sensation) is fantastic.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 2, 2013

While this is not a central hotel the location is actually good as you are not too far away from some fo the main areas of Shanghai. You can walk to the subway as well. There are two "wings" the executive West Wing has great rooms and is worth the additional cost.
There are some very good meeting rooms here, ideal for small meetings and a few restauarants to choose from, international and Chinese. The breakfast can get very busy, especially of there are any major conferences in town, so go early to miss the crowds. They do open two restaurants when it is that busy.

Room Tip: The West Wing is worth the additional cost.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Shankspony11,

Many thanks for the 5 stars and review. I was happy to read you enjoyed your visit. I agree our hotel is situated well enough to provide easy access to all the main areas of Shanghai. The subway system is very good and inexpensive. A wonderful way to get around and see the sites and spend time experiencing the local culture.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, friendly staff. Apart from the language barrier. Most staff did not understand English.

Had a lovely room, the A/C was on at all times and blowing hot air which you could not change. So had windows open 24/7.

Ordered chicken burger from room service, didn't taste great so only had a few bites. 4 hours later severe food poisoning.

It took nearly an hour for them to agree to not charge me for the food that made me sick for two days.

Ok location, taxi's not expensive. And you are walking distance to the train where there is an underground market.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Shirleywilko,

Thank you for the review and 3 stars. I was shocked to read that you may have had a bout of food posioning. I want to assure you that our Chef and culinary staff are totally focused on food quality and maintaining excellent food hygiene practices. We take this very seriously. Please accept my sincere apology.

Even with your current experience I was happy to see that you still felt the staff was friendly and the hotel still ranked high in your opinion. I appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit.