“Stunning New Property”

Ranked #3 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Asia Pacific
“Stunning New Property”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited the new Four Seasons Pudong the week before last for dinner and drinks at the lobby level Carmela Lounge. Lobby has a boutique feeling and Carmela Lounge a very warm atmosphere which includes a Sushi Bar and a Thai-style outdoor Sala lounge area with an open flame to warm up the cool evening temperature. Overall was very impressed by the food ordered as well as the wines by the glass. Service was perfect as with any of the other Four Seasons hotels I frequent in Bangkok and Hong Kong. Highly recommended as a peaceful retreat from the bustling surroundings of Shanghai. Was walking distance from IFC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Beijing, China
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed in the new Four Seasons Hotel in Pudong two days ago. Having stayed in so many hotels, very rarely I experienced "anticipation" which this great hotel managed to do so in such a short period of operation. I requested for a late check out the night before my departure and when I returned to the room, received a call from front desk to ask if they can deliver a new key to me to allow access after the regular departure time, to me this is a BIG wow... while waiting for cab to the train station, the doorman took the initiative to ask what time is my train and went all the way to hail a cab for me during the peak hour. Many claimed that hotels in the Puxi side are better, I used to stay in hotels in Puxi but having discovered this gem, I guess I will be recommending this as the preferred address in Shanghai.

Room Tip: The hotel is located on the top floors of the building, most rooms have great view overlooking the l...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have been very fortunate to stay in some amazing hotels; compliments of my job (s). And the Four Seasons in Shanghai Pudong stands among the top 10. This absolutely beautiful hotel was breathtaking from the time you enter through the revolving doors. My husband and I have been blessed to have a long standing relationship with the Four Season's Chain. We own a time share in our favorite location Scottsdale, and compliments to some of the people we've come to know, love, and do business with . me and all my colleagues received room upgrades to suites. All 6 of us were in Suites...THANKS TO MY LOVELY HUSBAND, and the amazing Team at the Four seasons. It was a total of 11 of us travelling, but 5 colleagues were with me, and talk about guilty by association. We were all happy to be guilty that day. The staff was top notch. the breakfast was amazing, and the rooms were huge, the beds were nice and large and comfortable. I was blessed to receive a beautiful bottle of wine from the hotel manager, and it was an amazing bottle of wine that I shared with a colleague of mine that was on the trip with me. We all raved about our experience when we got back in the office, that my company has not added that Four Seasons Hotel on the short list of hotels we can stay at.

The location isn't the greatest, as it is not near a lot, but it is easy to get around, you just have to know here your going!

Room Tip: Even if you do not get an upgrade to a suite, all the rooms are beautiful. The rates are very chea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Singapore
Reviewed March 24, 2013

A very swanky hotel in the heart of Shanghai Pudong. Super big rooms with all the mod cons, great Executive Lounge that is perfect for meetings, well equipped gym (a TRX machine would be a good addition), spectacular indoor pool and jacuzzi pool over looking Shanghai and first class service. Will definitely be back again!

• Stayed March 2013
Hong Kong
Reviewed March 19, 2013

For three days and two nights, I recently had the pleasure to stay at this newly opened Hotel, which has been quietly set back from the normally busy Century Avenue in Pu Dong, Shanghai.

Cocooned inside a converted Office Tower, where the Ferrari and Maserati car showroom resides, is a pleasant experience waiting to happen for those seeking a luxury boutique Hotel, without some of the normal bells and whistles of a much larger property – such as a grandiose lobby that its Sister has in PuXi.

Rooms are well appointed, spacious, and very comfortable. Great beds and soft linens always make a big difference, and this Four Seasons in my humble opinion, has got this down pat. The Bathroom is likewise spacious, complete with a double vanity, mirror TV, waterproof international power socket (thankfully no unnecessary shaver socket), and almost the right level of lighting.

There are great amenities to include that largest Cotton Buds I’ve ever seen in a Hotel room and the colors of the amenities coincidentally match the unmistakable colors of the vroom vroom cars in the showroom just a few floors below. I wonder if that was done on purpose.

The desk is also of the right size and well fitted out with excellent supplies and a connectivity panel close at hand complete with a selection of cables. The panel has two international power outlets, but for those of us who require more (like me), they have thoughtfully supplied an extension cord allowing you to connect four more devices. Unfortunately, they did not test it with UK plugs, since it will only take two at a time – but you can fit four of the US type without problem.

Wi-Fi was free (for me) and worked well allowing you up to three devices to be concurrently connected. Personally I had more, so had to do a little juggling and this was slightly annoying.

Lights and Blinds are fairly easily controlled from the bedside unit, but you may need a little experimenting before getting the sequence correct. For those of you who like drapes, sorry there are none – just electric blinds that go up/down at the press of a button, and when closed, give you a feeling of being nicely tucked away inside your own oasis.

There are plenty of things to watch on the TV, even a safety video, and I’m reliably informed that movies on-demand may soon be implemented. But for now, they have lots of international channels and a Blu-Ray player for those who BYO discs. And as I mentioned earlier, they have a connectivity panel if you want to hook up your own device by cable. There is even an Apple charging cable ready at the desk (I first thought it was a Internet cable – oops) and later realized my oversight. Unfortunately, there is no Lightning adaptor – so I used my own converter. At the bedside there is a JBL sound dock.

Room Service worked well – and after placing an order and being told it would be delivered in about thirty minutes, the doorbell surprisingly rang after only fifteen. Food was well presented and very pleasant. Two things could have been done better. Provide a glass or bottle of water with the meal even though I had not requested a beverage, and for some crackers to be supplied with the cheese plate. Otherwise, it was nice, well portioned and I especially liked the cubes of watermelon in my salad. A refreshing touch!

The shower was great – one of the best I’ve encountered in a long time. Excellent water pressure, the right temperature, and there is even a seat inside the cubicle. Both rain and hand showers are supplied.

The Bathroom mirror TV was a welcome facility, and if you leave the toilet cubicle door ajar, you can easily watch it while contemplating the business at hand… a small shelf allows you to rest your mobile device appropriately.

Plenty of closet and hanging space and the Safe is easily accessed in a drawer nearby the TV. Smoke hoods and a torch have been placed in the room for your added safety.

The mini bar is well stocked and there is a Ferrari red Espresso machine with four capsules – two regular and two decaffeinated. You may need to spend a few minutes understanding the instructions, but after you get the hang of it, the coffee is very pleasant. For tea drinkers, there is a fine selection of teas, and a very nice looking teapot. If you don’t use the Kettle, then there is also a spare power socket in this area.

The Club Lounge is huge and seems disproportionate to the size of Hotel. Having said that, the staffs are very attentive and I want to give a special shout out to Fifi and Vivienne who looked after me very well during my stay. If you are a Club Floor guest, the Hotel allows you use their Board Room free for 1-hour, and so along with two other business associates we took advantage of this great offer. The room is well fitted out, and the service excellent.

Generally, however, the choice of items on the Breakfast buffet were adequate, but at Happy Hour, lacked selection. Perhaps because only I and one business associate were in the room…one thing worth noting was that I did find the glass cloches on some of the dishes surprisingly heavy to lift, which made me nervous holding them knowing that they may slip and break. This should be looked into.

Overall, a very pleasant stay, and if I’m in need of a place to stay in Shanghai, and my budget can stretch that far, I will be back. Now, I just have to try out their other recently opened properties in China.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tronson
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Photos say much more than my words to tell how gorgeous this hotel is, such as mixture of black, white & red interior design and the marble indoor swimming pool. I have seen a lot of landmark properties since I have stayed in many 5 stars hotels and lived in serveral luxury residences. Not all of them like Four Seasons Shanghai Pudong knows how to use expensive building materials with style and nothing too much.

Thank God! I slept so well. Thanks a lot for the comfortable bed and pillow!!! The quality of complimentary tea bag at mini bar was high, the Longjing was my favourite. I had chocolate and biscuit for turn down snack. Both of them were delicous.Don't miss the Chinese restaurant Shang-Xi. I had a fabulous lunch there.

If you have read my reviews in Tripadvisor, you may find that I always concern about the swimming pool and relaxtion facilities. It's because I swim almost everyday and I go to luxury hotel spa around once per week to release stress. So, I think I am entitle to say this hotel has very good swimming pool and jacuzzi. The infinity-edge and flat bottom of the pool reduced wave and smoothed the water flow.

The location was excellent for both business and leisure traveller. It took only 2 mins walk to subway station, was closed to SWFC and IFC and only 2 stations away to the Bund.

If you insist me to tell any weakness of this hotel, I only can say the Kohler hand shower was not strong enough for me and the service was just not perfect, only tiny little mini thing, not worth to mention about it.

I believe Four Seasons Shanghai Pudong will become top 10 Shanghai hotel in Tripadvisor very soon.

Room Tip: Premier Pearl View Room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SpaAddictor
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my second stay at the hotel, the first stay was on business, the second time to visit Shanghai with my wife and celebrate her birthday. We were met at the reception by the general manager, Rainer Stampfer and Helen Shi and my wife was presented with a beautiful bouquet of flowers. It was a lovely personalised welcome and quite unexpected. We had also been upgraded to an executive suite with a view of the Pearl Tower and a birthday cake awaited us in our room. The rooms are beautifully appointed and the views over Shanghai are amazing. Service levels in the hotel are high, as you would expect from Four Seasons but with a real sense amongst the staff there of a desire to exceed your expectations. The spa and infinity edge pool on the 41st floor are equally amazing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple