“My new favorite restaurant in Shanghai”
Review of Nene

Nene
Ranked #329 of 17,142 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Description: This restaurant is quite new, street level on Young Fu Road near Fuxin Road
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is one of those places where you want to go back a dozen times in a row to try out the menu....I had a calzone for lunch and I'm cannot rave about how its the best food in the world...because it was a calzone...but it was a very good calzone...for example, it had several varieties of mushrooms....not the expected canned mushrooms...and if they can do that with a calzone, I can't wait to find out what they do with pasta....

For a place with such great reviews on their pizzas, it seemed odd that their kitched didn't have a wood fired brick oven....but after tasting the crust of the calzone....I'm convinced that the fancy oven would have only provided additional asthetics... and not additional taste...

This restaurant is located on a quiet tree lined street...which is a dramatic departure from the high congestion of most of Shanghai...the interior of the restaurant is also very relaxed and comfortable...the service was friendly and prompt....everything in this restaurant invites you in and makes you want to stay....

Now the best part....the tiramisu.....wow

One other thing....I almost didn't go to this restaurant becasue on the tripadvisor page it says something about meals ranging from 900 to 3000 RMB....this is an error....pizzas are approx 128-160RMB, the calzone was around 160RMB, the tiramisu was 58RMB, if I remember correctly...I don't think you could pay 3000RMB for dinner here unless it lasted a week...

very happy with this restaurant....

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We have lived in Shanghai for over a year now and have searched for a great authentic Italian restaurant. I found Nene's on Trip Advisor and the ratings are true and accurate. If you are looking for an authentic Italian restaurant, it is worth going. We had a salad, lasagne and a calzone. The pizzas were coming out of the kitchen like crazy and they looked amazing. The service was exceptional. This restaurant is very small so I would advise to make reservations before going so you aren't disappointed!

1  Thank Jamie F
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Nené is not simply a restaurant. It is a heaven of taste, ambiance, and service in the heart of Shanghai. Located in one of the most famous streets for entertainment in the French Concession, Nené welcomes customers in a chic space where everything, from lighting to furniture, from décor to music, preludes to the perfect dining experience. Waiters are wonderfully attentive without ever intruding, and meals enfold as smooth as the gorgeous Southern Italian wine that the restaurant keeps in its impressive cellar.
However, what impresses the most about Nene is food: Italian and Mediterranean dishes are prepared with the best ingredients and an exquisite touch as well as a perfect sense of quantity. Try especially the seafood pasta with fresh mussels, or indulge in the perfectly baked pizzas: everything is a feast for the palate. I’ve been coming to this restaurant since my first visit to Shanghai in 2011 and I still haven’t found any better place in the city. I strongly recommend it.

1  Thank Massimo L
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

I like nene very much. Couzy admosphere, good food and friendly staff. Everyone that likes Italian food should visit

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I visited Nene for lunch on a Sunday. A small, casual and cosy restaurant. They had a Sunday Brunch Menu for about RMB200/head which comprises mainly egg and toast items for main. We did not opt for the brunch menu as we like to try some of their house specialties like pizza and pasta. They have an extensive drink list and a la carte menu complete with starters, pizza, pasta, main and desert. Price is really on the high side averaging RMB150 for pizza and pasta. When I was there, 80% of the patrons were Italian families so its strong confirmation that the food is authentic Italian. We had a 4 cheese pizza and a sausage caserecce - both were perfectly done and prepared with top grade ingredients. The food and location score As. What needs improvement badly is the service staff whom are inexperience and did not understand the menu. The Italian owner is usually around so check with the owner if need recommendation or explanation of the menu.