“Good not great and there are better options”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Dr Beer

Dr Beer
Ranked #410 of 16,873 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Description: http://www.smartshanghai.com/venue/6695/Dr_Beer
Fairlight, Australia
“Good not great and there are better options”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I've visited 5 microbreweries in Shanghai and Dr Beer just doesn't cut the mustard like Boxing Cat and Shanghai Brewery. To be fair, I haven't been in the evening - so maybe the buzz improves later in the evening. The beers are good (the Dark in particular is very good), but not outstanding. It is an impressive space that they have - and I could imagine that this could go off.

• Visited August 2013

Durham, North Carolina
“Beer very good, food ok, service lousy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Went there on a Saturday afternoon, there were only a few others in the place. Great decor and seats near the window were nice. The Pilsner was smooth and crisp. Had a couple appetizers, they were good.
What might keep me from ever going back though was the service. It was difficult to get the waitresses to break up from their chat to come and take our order. No one bothered to clear our dishes once finished. That said some one came by to pick up my empty beer mug, but walked off without checking if I might want another. When we asked a waiter when was the happy hour (asked in mandarin so there was no language barrier) the only response was "not today".

Overall we felt as if we were intruding on their space and not welcome.

Visited July 2013
Shanghai, China
“!!very good beer!! but bad food!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We like to go there, because they have good beer. There are some instruments and a stage, but we never have seen any live band. We tried out several dished, but i must say, that all were poor, even terrible! I hope this review will help to improve kitchen´s quality.

• Visited June 2013
Lugano, Switzerland
“Excellent beer, food not bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Nice location in Shanghai with homemade beer (white beer excellent), it's good for a drink with friends or a late dinner. Tried the mini burgers, very delicious. Service a bit slow. Very good for large groups. Western prices.

• Visited January 2013
Beijing, Beijing, China
“Great bar for beer lovers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I thought this place was great - large, nicely decorated space, attentive service, some good beers on the menu, as well as wine, cocktails and snacks. It's a bit pricey - I think we paid 68 RMB for a large (imported) beer - but that's to be expected in this area. They also seem to have live music on some nights. We went on a Wednesday night around 9pm, and it was busy but not overly crowded. I can imagine that it must get much more crowded on weekends.

I had the beer tasting set - 5 different beers for (I believe) 58 RMB - which was fun to try. The wheat beer in particular was quite good.

• Visited January 2013