“I pulled a hair from my mouth--inside the tiramisu!”

8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA
Ranked #75 of 17,203 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Bund
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Wow! For what they charged and there is a hair in my dessert?!!! Stunning! I brought this to the attention of the waiter immediately. He did offer me a liquer after dinner which I declined. He also offered a replacement tiramisu, which I also declined. I paid my bill in full and in addition to the 10 percent service charge, I also left a tip. So I did not make a big fuss out of this incident.

Apart from the unfortunate dessert, the bread plate has a chipped corner. I mentioned this to the waiter and he quickly replaced it. I expected the staff to be more attentive when doing the place setting for a restaurant which charges a premium price.

We ordered the tasting menu. The food was ok. Nothing to brag about. The tasting menu included Amberjack
which we did not like and a red snapper was substituted. The red snapper was fishy, too salty and overcooked. We mentioned this to our waiter and he said he would inform the chef.

I booked the reservation on the same day. The restaurant was fully booked but they offeredllp me a table at the bar, which was good. The bar experience meant no table cloth, no view and a bit noisy. But no fault of the restaurant as I only booked today. However, I noticed at least one table in the dining room was not occupied. I would have thought they would offer to switch me to that table mid way through our meal, but no.

1  Thank Jayteekay
Otto_e_Mezzo_BOMBANA, Guest Relations Manager at 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your visit and feedback!

We were sad to hear that you had such a negative experience. We took notice and action on your comments the evening you came to the restaurant both about the food and the service.

The snapper dish that you were not satisfied with has caused us a few problems and has been changed last week already.

Of course we can only apologize for the incident of the hair, this should not have happened and our team has taken this very seriously.

We hope you will come to visit us again to have a better experience! We normally don’t ask people to move from the bar while they are already dining, but I hope next time you get a chance to be in our main dining room and enjoy a great dinner or lunch.

Apologies again and best wishes,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Had dinner at 8 1/2 Bombana two years ago and never missed bringing my friends and clients to sample their good food. I'm a lazy guy who prefers to leave everything to the restaurant manager, Gian Luca, and it never misses.

The degustation menu is great and also changes per season so I never really get tired of going back for more. This menu comes with wine pairing, and at about just over US$200, it is amazing and very reasonable.

Last April, we had to host global media for the Shanghai International Auto Show and again, it was all applauses to the restaurant. Fantastic food, great wines, best service, and even got a good view of the historic Bund.

This restaurant also serves a la carte menu (and I've honestly never tried it), but one thing for sure, their martinis are perfect. Ah, I'd say the best in Shanghai though really expensive.

Best for business dinners at company expense.

Otto_e_Mezzo_BOMBANA, Guest Relations Manager at 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your positive comments!

We look forward to having you back and give you and your guests more pleasant experiences to remember!

Best wishes,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We were able to snag a table at the bar due to last minute reservation. The bar room is actually quite pretty, but I'd imagine sitting by the windows would be much nicer. On to the food -- they're quite divine with high price tags to match. I don't think I ever paid higher price for an oyster than here. Desserts did not quite match the previous dishes, though. Service was courteous and gracious.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The location is great and the service is also very good. The food however, does not match the pricing at all. There is no complexity in the taste and certainly not what you expect from a gourmet restuarant

Dear Sir/Madam,

We thank you for taking the time to give us feedback, we are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our cuisine.

It would be great if you could contact us directly to let us know more details so we can understand where the problem was.

We would love to have you back at our restaurant and give you a more satisfactory experience!

Best,

Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Horrible!
What is going on! Is this really the same Bombana that is in Hong Kong. I don't think so and if yes, Mr Bombana should better come here as soon as possible.
The food was less than average, service very bad. The cocktails were well made with professionalism but that is not enough to remember positively this place

1  Thank Laurent G
Otto_e_Mezzo_BOMBANA, Guest Relations Manager at 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Mr. Laurent,

We are truly sorry to hear that your experience at our restaurant was so negative and that we didn’t manage to deliver service and food that was up to your expectations.

We would really appreciate if you could contact us directly and explain in which regards you were dissatisfied, so that this could become a constructive criticism for us to take on. The overall comment seems to be a bit over the top and disparaging the hard work and passion we put in every day!

We would be glad to have you back here again and give you a better experience.

Kind regards,