“Loved it - Basil Drop Martinis and Caramelised beef amazing!”
Review of Sichuan Citizen

Sichuan Citizen
Ranked #53 of 17,012 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Melbourne
“Loved it - Basil Drop Martinis and Caramelised beef amazing!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Sichuan Citizen was recommended to us by both our friends who live in Shanghai and a Lonely Planet guidebook. We're very glad we listened as it was an enjoyable and price friendly meal.

Having heard so much about the Basil Drop Martinis, we couldn't help but order one ourselves, particularly when we saw the verdant green colour firsthand. They are certainly a different taste but one we couldn't get enough of - really refreshing and very complementary of the spicy Sechuan food.

We ordered several dishes including the snakebeans, the pot-stickers, the ribs and spicy eggplant but the standout was the beef in a caramelised sauce (this isn't the exact name as per the menu so hunt for it). Oh. My. Goodness. Tender, sweet and saucy, this was so good we ordered another plate as soon as we finished the first.

I've heard people compare Sichuan Citizen to Di Shui Dong and I preferred Sichuan Citizen. The atmosphere is warmer, the food a bit friendlier to those who aren't accustomed to a lot of spice and the drinks menu far more adventurous.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank MelbTraveller2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Eugene, Oregon
“Good Option for Sichuan”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Generally in Shanghai you have to chose which aspect of a restaurant is most important, price, food quality, service or drinks. An excellent local place may have poor service, no drinks, but great food and value. On the other hand, the great service/food places may have western pricing. What we liked about Sichuan citizen was that while nothing was exceptional, there were no epic shortfalls. Everything was quite acceptable and many aspects were quite pleasant. Once you get used to the Shanghai service levels (tackle someone to get their attention) then the Citizen shines because it has good drinks, good food, reasonable prices and a non-chaotic vibe. Some of the entrees are excellent (Fish Country Style) and the food is not as oily as many of the Sichuan venues in town. They do cocktails well with western style "pours" and we have not had a "tainted" vodka problems as you often encounter in Shanghai.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank TheKrezAbides
Shanghai, China
“Basil drops & wonderful Sichuan food”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This place was recommended by a couple of our expat friends from IKEA. We have heard a lot about their drink Basil drops so we ordered one each. The drink was amazing and the taste is very delicious. The ingredients are pure basil, vodka and lemon juice mixed together.
After finishing the drink we ordered several dishes from the menu. Since the place serves Sichuan food (very spicy) you need to be aware of not ordering to spicy food if you are not used to it. The food was very delicious so we have been here several times during the last six months.

I asked the bartender and she said they serve over 200 basil drops per night so you cannot miss that one.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank rmaep98
Singapore, Singapore
“My hotel advised against coming here - it was right!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Based on Lonely Planet reviews I wanted to come here - my hotel, Radisson advised me not to, saying they no longer recommend based on feedback from guests.

I wished I had listened.

Seated, 15 minutes to get the drink I had ordered - basil martini which is amazing - bit the edge is taken off when you are sitting nearby watching people order and walk off a few minutes later. I had to approach the bar twice to remind them.

The first thing I noticed was very few locals - the rest were Westerners - I ought to have realised. The restaurant is non smoking but the centrally placed bar means that you are always aware of the smoke.

It is a tourist place more than anything - the food is average, not a patch on Pinchuan, or any other Sichuam place I've been to since living here.

My food arrived cold, so I sent it back - when it reemerged it was slightly warmer and a lot drier. For a large part of the evening one of the waitresses chose to lean against my table - quite off putting.

I won't return nor recommend friends. There are way better Sichuan options in the neighborhood.

1 Thank Sydsteve
“Good food, nice place.”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Great food, SPICY (but you'd expect that from Sichuan) nice decor. A little quiet when we went, but was middle of the afternoon. Wouldn't go out of my way to go back, but worth it of you're nearby.