“Excellent service - great tour!”
Review of Miki Tours

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I would like to add to the many positive reviews for Miki Tours. I arrived in Shanghai recently on a Saturday night. I had not arranged a tour in advance, but I knew that I had Sunday available before I began a busy week. I found Miki Tours through TripAdvisor, and she had so many positive reviews that I was afraid that she wouldn't have anybody available on such short notice. I emailed her around 1:00 AM and to my amazement, Miki emailed me back right away. She told me that she had a couple people who might be available, and she said she would know for sure by 7 AM on Sunday. By morning, she had arranged for Qinqin to be my tour guide for Sunday. I was very impressed by Miki's level of service and her ability to arrange a tour for me on such short notice.

Qinqin met me later Sunday morning at the pre-arranged time and place, and right away I was very comfortable with her as my tour guide. She listened to what I wanted to see and she gave me a great tour. She was full of interesting information about a broad range of topics. For my tour, we went to People's Park, walked along Nanjing Road (the "walking street"), walked along The Bund (next to Huangpu River) to Old Town, had amazing dumplings (and okay noodles) for lunch, saw the Yuyuan Gardens, and went up the Shanghai World Financial Centre (supertall skyscraper) to have a drink and look down at all the amazing buildings in that area ("Lujiazui") of Pudong. We also went on the subway and went to some markets along the way. It was a very enjoyable day, and luckily we also had great weather. I don't travel much, and this was actually the first time that I ever hired a tour guide, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. One of my reasons for trying a tour guide was because I don't speak Mandarin. Qinqin speaks English very well, and her personality is so friendly that it actually felt more like a friend showing me around her city. With her help, I was able to take the Shanghai subway for the first time. And when we took a taxi, I knew I wasn't going to get cheated on the fare. (Some taxi drivers take "the long way" to your destination to boost their fare.) I have to say that my experience in the Yuyuan Gardens would have been much different without Qinqin's expert knowledge. For example, she explained why the dragons do not have five claws, the significance of the shape of the chair backs (some are for men, others for women), and the significance of the stonework on the ground. Plus many more details that I would have had no clue about without her explanations. I really felt that I got the most of my day in Shanghai, and I would highly recommend Miki Tours and especially Qinqin as a tour guide to anyone who would like to see Shanghai.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We had a lovely time with Miki, down to earth, working hard and totally committed as the entrepreneurial owner of her own tour company. Why give the business to a large tour operator, booked directly or through your hotel, in which case the actual guide gets only a portion of your fee and is qualified and/or motivated accordingly.
She gave us insight into local life and tied locales to historical tidbits, as we walked through principal neighbourhoods. We had an excellent lunch at a respected eatery.
We were glad we included a car and driver, much reducing the time and fatigue of getting from place to place.
Her programs are designed in every detail. She may not suit someone who has their own ideas about what to see or how to spend time. Miki has her own thoughts about what you can do on your own e.g. shop. On the other hand, I am sure she would direct you to shopping places catering to locals and not increasing prices for referral fees.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

For our first time in China, we had the fortune to tour the Shanghai area with Lisa. What an interesting and beautiful time we had! Lisa’s English skills and her knowledge of history and facts are both excellent. Lisa took us to the Urban Planning Exhibition Hall in People’s Square, the Marriage Market in beautiful People’s Park, a great Vegetarian Restaurant called Dashuwujie, and the Shanghai Circus World. We also had a wonderful time strolling about one of the Water Villages called Zhujiajiao. At Zhujiajiao we had a lunch actually cooked for us by Lisa and the Tea House owner. After lunch we had Pu'er tea, an elegant tea ceremony, performed by Lisa herself. Lisa also is a musician! So, she taught us about the traditional instruments, the Guqin and Guzheng. She took us to her own Music teacher's Guzheng shop in the musical instruments street where her teacher and some of the young talented students played several old Chinese songs to us. Thank you so much, Lisa, for your personal touch. We have a great memory of beautiful Shanghai, thanks to you.

Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

We had great time and enjoy our shanghai city tour. We visited many places in Shanghai and got many things to do. We especially loved food(dumplings). The guide was very helpful and high-acknowledge.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Miki recommend that our group use Lisa for this walking tour. Lisa was fantastic! So smart and fun. We really enjoyed her company and she knew everything about the city, the history and the best places to visit. She had a great personality and was a lot of fun.

Lisa is a very good guide and I would highly recommend her to anyone looking for a first class tour of Shanghai.