“Will return for sure” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 4,968 Hotels in Shanghai
Denmark
“Will return for sure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed for 8 nights in total in March during business visit in Shanghai and was very very happy that I chosed this property/hotel !
Could not fault anything what so ever.
Service - Breakfast - suites (I stayed at he smalles which was huge.. 62 sq Meters with seprate lounge area - bedroom & bathroom) - Everything SPOTLESS
Used the gym as well which was very well equipped - a private gym allowing members outside the hotel to train as well - I did not mind... Same goes for the swimmingpool - did not visit it during my stay...
Unlike other reviewers here on TA - I found the location Superb !!!
A 3-5 min´s walk from Nanjing Road West tube / underground - and 5-10 min´s walk from Nanjing Road East shopping area.
The taxi drivers I used did not have a problem finding this location and can´t understand ANY of the "bad" reviews for this property - I will definitely return for my next stay in Shanghai !!!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors and CORNER rooms in order to get unique skyline view from the shower & tub
3 Thank Dinamarca
cherryx921, Public Relations Manager at THE ONE Executive Suites managed by Kempinski-Shanghai, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Mr. Dinamarca
It is a joy to receive such nice compliment on our hotel for the guest room as well as our facility. We are glad that you had a wonderful experience and we appreciate your recommendation of THE ONE Shanghai as choice hotel to stay, look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

With best regards,
The Entire Team of THE ONE Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I hate to be the one to put down a place after so many have given it excellent ratings, but to give an objective assessment of this place, average is really what it is, at best.
To be fair, the rating i really wanted to give was 3.5, but tripadvisor gives me a forced choice of either 3 or 4, and i would gravitate towards the former, so 3 it is.

First, let's talk about the things i like-
I arrived in the morning, was promptly checked in to my room despite my early arrival. Great flexibility about it, but nothing short of what i would expect comparing this with my prior experiences staying at other world class residences/hotels. The room is spacious and well-lit, nicely decorated with a european art deco touch. Bed is comfortable with a large variety of pillows.

Breakfast though limited, was adequate and tasty. the homemade jams are delicious, i might just decide to get a jar when i leave. The staff who attended to me during breakfast were friendly and attentive, made sure i got my tea, breads, cold cuts etc.

The hotel rooms and lifts are card access only, which is a standard but great security feature. Free wifi and breakfast included in the rate i got through agoda, which is quite a reasonable deal.

Hotel is located within walking distance to the nanjing road west underground, near shopping e.g. h&m, gap, etc. and also near huanghe road (opposite direction), where all the great local food is located (xiao yang's fried dumplings, jiajia steamed dumpings). Despite this, taxis seems to have difficulty finding this place- i had the address written down so luckily the drive could find it, but if the hotel sign could have been placed more prominently facing the main road, it would have been easier.

Things that could have been better-

Facilities- many have commented that they now have a gym, which is great, but this is managed by an external fitness club (tera wellness), so hotel guests have to share the facilities with the public who are members of the gym. It seemed quite alright at first until i got to the swimming pool and saw to my horror that there were only six lanes and already more than eight people in the pool!
Also, i had been given a locker in the communal locker room to place my belongings, which was full of female locals (members of the gym) who were just stark naked, walking around, changing, talking or shouting loudly, and that was definitely not a pleasant experience.

Maintenance- although the rooms are nice, you can't help but notice there are just some places in which there is something lacking- hairline cracks in the cups that results in leaking, lack of provision of washing powder for the washer, lack of provision of a cloth for wiping the sink/mini kitchen area (which i find quite basic?), etc. There is even an empty vase next to the mirror in the bathroom, which i wonder- was the original intention to to fill it with flowers and that the staff just perhaps forgot, or the hotel budget got cut and this became one of the things they decided to go without? ....

Service standard of staff really differs.
The lady who checked me in at the counter was polite but curt, and gave me a snooty look. Yes, I look younger most of the other guest staying here, and wasn't dressed particularly formally, but i don't think there should be any reason hotel staff should discriminate hotel staff who aren't European, middle-aged or dressed in a business suit. Also, i am down with a bout of nasty flu at the moment, and asked the counter staff if there was any place i could pick up any medication. I was also having a bit of a problem with my Nikon film camera, and needed to get a new standard CR button battery. The man who attended to me was helpful in pointing out the direction of the pharmacy, but didn't tell me what time it opened, and i ended up having to wait 15 minutes out in the cold before the pharmacy opened and i could get my flu medicine! He was also not very helpful with regards to the battery, and just suddenly switched to English (we were originally conversing in mandarin), saying that i could try asking the family mart and 'all the best'??? I really had no idea why he would say that- was he trying to impress me and prove that he is fluent in English and is effectively bilingual? In any case, his fluency in English was the least of my concerns, and it was not very helpful; i was not impressed at all....
I've had better service from store personnel at random shops in shanghai, so i was really disappointed.

Maybe i am really nitpicking, but i'm sure any brand name hotel chain would or should have something basic such as flu or fever medicine for their guests. It's neither expensive nor a great logistics burden, and would be a huge help to guests. Deep down inside i was really hoping for someone to offer to help me pick up flu medication (any OTC would have been fine, e.g. panadol), give how sick i was (and still am), but it just didn't happen, and so this hotel fails to make it to my list of those 'special' hotels that makes a difference.

I still have a couple more days in this place, so i'm hoping my stay will get better, along with my flu. When you're down with something, what you really need is a warm, comforting place, but sadly, this place is not it.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the high floors. they also have smoking and non-smoking rooms. If you intend to st...
1 Thank scrabbyknees
Dear Ms. Scrabbyknees,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor for your recent stay with us.
First of all, we would like to express our sincere apology for your unpleasant experience during your visit to THE ONE Shanghai.
It is always our goal to serve all of our guests well. However, on this occasion we clearly did not achieve this.
We do agree with you to prepare some basic medicine for our guests but it is forbidden for the hotel to provide medicine directly to the guest. Regarding the pharmacy, we do apology for this inconvenience because it is not up to our standard as we should know the opening and closing time and your comments will help us in the future to prevent misunderstanding and will increase our service level.
Dear Ms. Scrabbyknees, hope we can have another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

With best regards,
The Entire Team of THE ONE Shanghai
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I recently stayed one night at The One Executive Suites while on business.

Conveniently located, one has easy access to both modern swanky Shanghai as well as the old narrow streets with traditional food stalls. It is also very to lots of places on the Puxi side of Shanghai (less than 15 minutes taxi to Xintiandi).

The mini-suites are very well equipped - complete with fridge, hot-plate, microwave oven and cooking utensils, so for extended business trips or holidays, one can have a warm "home-cooked" meal, and not feel so homesick! Down the streets, there are lots of street foods that can be bought and warmed up in the microwave.

The bedroom is separated from the little Living Room with a comfy sofa and TV, so it is well suited for a couple.

The simple breakfast is sufficient and the staff is very friendly and efficient.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Although my taxi driver had no problem finding it, I am not sure if this would be always the case, e...
1 Thank SFR6262E
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights (i'm still here while writing this review).
The first problem is the location,I got my friend who can speak Chinese very well to tell the taxi driver this hotel but he didn't know it.Luckily I have printed out the address and my friend show to the driver but still,he didn't know it.After a while we turn around and finally found this hotel.
We checked in to a nice receptionist with nice English pronounciation and the checked in was very fast.I booked this hotel through agoda and asked for extra bed.And when I got into the room the extra bed was already there,nice.
The room was very great big enough and have a lot compartment and also very clean.The bathroom very big and nice.so everything is good.Then this morning I had a breakfast and very dissapointed.The fried rice is only 1 spoon left,no meat no sausage it is very few foods.But the staff kindly asked if I want some breads or eggs.Maybe because it is a suite?I dont know since it is my first time stayed in suite.
This morning I went for shopping a nanjing road when I got out from the lift the tall chinese staff seems in a hurry and hit my shoulder.I think it is not a good manner while the other staff even the foreign staff is much more gentle.
Overall it is very nice,just need some improvement to be perfect.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
vivian b, Manager at THE ONE Executive Suites managed by Kempinski-Shanghai, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Madam/Sir,

Firstly thank you for taking your time for giving us your feedback on your experiences at our hotel. We are glad, of course that your experience was mostly positive but we are always disappointed when a guest feels that our service has not been up to their expectation.

We are in a short process of hand-over our Lobby Lounge, which may impact the breakfast selections in some points; we always value each guest’s comments as this is one of the ways to help us improve our service, not aimed good, but from good to perfect. We are sincerely apologies for the inconvenience caused, and of course we hope to have you back next time and we believe that our selected breakfast will satisfy your stay.

We feel sorry that it took some time to reach us. Normally most of the taxi drivers know our place as we do put a small map on our brochures; we would be more than happy to assist with talking to the taxi driver via a call anytime. Our operator is at your service for 24 hours a day.

We really hope to see you soon and to demonstrate our improvements.

Sincerely yours,

THE TEAM of THE ONE Shanghai
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Had a short break in Shanghai to meet up with friends.
Booked two nights in The One Executive Suites run by Kempinsky Hotels. The location on Fengyang road is ideal for Metro (line 2) and West Nanjing Road for high end shopping and entertainment.
The suites are very well equipped and very comfortable. Didn't book the breakfast option, so can't comment on that, but the suites, ranging from studios to 3 bedrooms are well designed and equipped. With city views, a good location and staff who have no trouble speaking English they are ideal for both business and leisure travellers. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I found the perfect Residence in Shanghai after visiting Shanghai about 10 times in last two years.
This residence has the perfect floor map for Business travelers separating living room from bedroom and making it super comfortable to hold small meetings with customers, cook food in the mini pantry, or enjoy super luxurious glass cubicle bathroom over-viewing city high rise.

Pros: The location is excellent has basic amenities nearby, also houses Metro station at 10 minute walk, and food street with all Multi National Brand restaurants (KFC, Mc Donalds, Subway, Pizza Pizza, Starbucks and much more). Also Metro station (West Nanjin [line2] about 7-8 mins walking).
There is the good party zone "MOOK" just 5 minutes walking.
Xintandi is 10 mins by Taxi
East Nanjin Pedestrian Street is 10 mins by Taxi
THE bund is 12-15 minutes by Taxi
The hotel uses state of the art furniture, and a super comfortable sleep is promised after a long day @ work.

Cons:
Being in residence, the breakfast is not that lavish but that is quite an expectation.
The service is slightly slow. I had slight difficulty with Internet connectivity, the connection was slow.

I love to stay with the hotel from every other time. Have stayed in a lot of Hotels, but till date i would rate this the best from my point of business and leisure.

Room Tip: Go for rooms with Glass Shower cubicle overseeing the city, its a fantastic experience. Ask for Int...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank ParitG
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Arrived early in the morning, and was able to check into my room immediately, so that was a great start. Excellent, large rooms. Hotel is a bit isolated, about 45 minute walk to the Bund. Doesn't have a bar or anything. Be warned, if you are visiting Shanghai, of the tea ceremony scam (google it). I was cleaned out yesterday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo