“Not really authentic”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed April 7, 2013

After some comments from people telling that La Finca was a very good place to taste Spanish food, I decided to have a go and try with some friends, by the way I'm Spanish.
The place is nice, we were seated in a private room that we fine perfect as we were 10, they even close the curtains for more privacy even if the restaurant was almost empty at 8.00pm on a Friday night!!!
At 8.00pm they called us (we were 5 mn late) asking if we were still coming, so we thought that the restaurant might be crowded, we arrived at 8.05 and only 2 or 3 tables with people.
The service was poor, we had 2 waiters and none were able to speak a good English, they didn't understand part of our orders, brought some salad never ordered... we left at 11.00pm or so and we were the last customers.
We all ordered the Seafood paella, and I think that's the worst paella I've tried in Shanghai, the rice was overcooked, didn't taste of seafood at all, because not cooked at the same time, and that's the key to a good seafood paella.
On a more positive note the tapas were all good as well as the sangria.
I won't recommend this restaurant if you're looking for authentic Spanish food, unless you only eat on tapas.

1  Thank XOXO2

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Heard that La Finca has Sat/Sun brunch from 11am to 3pm for Rmb 158, I decided to give it a try. My friend and I went there around noon, the place was quite empty (which is exactly what we wanted, not crowded). The food is okay but not great and don't think that the food can be categorized as authentic Spanish cooking neither. My recommendations are the gazpacho Andalucia, mushroom croquetas and penne bolognaise. Don't put your hope too high on the ham croquetas and shrimp croquetas. Suggest to completely avoid the grilled mutton, the meat is tasteless and hard to chew. Jamon with melon is okay. The seafood paella tastes okay but a bit like the Italian risorto.

Conclusion: For Rmb 158, it is still good to visit the place with family and friends and enjoy a meal inside an old building next to the lake around Xintiandi.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Owner Maria spent 30 years soaking up the flavors and culture of Spain, then returned to Shanghai to offer up her findings! Tapas and sangria~ and a great atmosphere. Garlic shrimp, a great spinach and mango salad, great croquetas, friendly and Spanish speaking manager Rodrigo make this a great place to go with friends or even on a special date.

1  Thank GyPsYs0uL
Reviewed April 8, 2012

It's been a while since I've eaten such mediocre food with such awkward service. I wandered in as it was sunny and they had outdoor seating and plenty of space (this really should have set alarm bells ringing as it was a Saturday lunchtime). The waitress who served me was fine, but her manager was awful and on some kind of power kick. He told her off very loudly in front of the customers for some seating misdemeanour (there was a couple and myself and she'd seated us several tables apart) which made her really miserable and obviously embarrassed. He then stood a few metres away and stared at us all eating before starting a conversation with the waitress (again loudly) about his personal life. It was completely bizarre. Just a few comments about the food and drink: 1) the white wine they served was warm although the waitress did replace it with something a little bit cooler, 2) I was told I couldn't order more than three dishes at a time (the bread and olives counted as two dishes) as I was by myself and I would waste the food even though I was on the all you can eat buffet, 3) the food itself was bonkers...fresh mango and olives together? Garlic mushroom with no garlic? I would not recommend this place at all. Dreadful, dreadful. I left half the food because it was so awful...

Reviewed April 3, 2012

We went here for a meal on a Monday evening. The place is split into two, a tapas bar on the1st floor (ground floor) and upstairs a restaurant. We ate at the restaurant (by mistake really).

The food was excellent, athough small portions, but excellent quality. There is a small selection of tapas and some more "main" meals. If you're after tapas I would go downstairs.

The atmosphere was ok, it was very quiet and the music was a little loud.

We are goijng to go back again to the place downstairs as that looked more relaxed and more traditional.

Our meal was around 600 cny, we just had a couple of beers with our meal, no wine.

1  Thank Paulo1179