“Truly exceptional so far...”

Andaz Xintiandi Shanghai
Ranked #30 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've never stayed in an Andaz before - and this was over my corporate budget but got a deal agreed through local office!

All I can say is that the room I have is truly amazing. It took me 10 mins to find the lights (panels in drawers!!) but all makes sense once you know...

Room size - awesome; bathroom is its own wonder (wet room, illuminated bath...wasted on a business trip!) free soft drinks from minibar; free WiFi...I stay in a LOT of hotels both on corporate budgets, and at luxury end for personal trips - and this hotel is in my top 10...and depending on how the rest of the stay goes, top 5! I would personally pay full freight here if in Shanghai for leisure.

City is surprisingly modern - already found the ubiquitous Starbucks - which I need to do as breakfast here is not cheap, and am on a company expenses. But that's a general criticism of hotels in the region so far.

Am staying with Andaz in NY next year - it has a lot to live up to!

• Stayed: November 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Beside being impressed I was with their hotel and room designs n stuff, i was exceptionally impressed my their service!
It was my first time to Shanghai and prior to the trip, I was overwhelmed by work and had no time to google on Shanghai. Upon checking in, the receptionist asked if I was here for leisure or business. When I told him I was here for leisure, he asked me where do I intend to visit. I told him I was absolutely clueless and he went on asking what kind of travel experiences I wanted and gave me a few good suggestions and gave me a rough itinerary for my 4-days trip.
On one of the days, as usual, the concierge was helping me hail a taxi while i was waiting at the car pouch. That day, the temperature dropped and it was exceptionally windy. One of the hotel staff who was standing in the hotel saw me rubbing my palms, walked towards me and ask me to wait inside the hotel and once they managed to hail a taxi, the would call for me.
Not only were their staff friendly and helpful, they were all very observant and pay notice and attention to the occupants. I would definitely stay in this hotel again on my next trip thought it's very expensive.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We've stayed at a number of hotels in the Shanghai area, and had the opportunity to check out Andaz's new Shanghai property. It's in a great location next to Xintiandi (Shanghai Tang, Din Tai Fung and Starbucks are a stones throw). The rooms are super contemporary - LED lights can be programmed in the room and the bathroom (LED tub anyone?). The service is exceptional, American-style service. The beds - soft and luxurious. (For anyone who travels to China regularly, this is a major bonus.) The contemporary design of the building is also super cool. Worth checking out if you're interested in staying in the French Concession area of Shanghai.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong, but higher has better views of the Shanghai skyline.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is my 3rd stay at this hotel. Got the XL kingsize room. Very generous space with wrap around windows. Bed and pillows comfortable. Checkin smooth. Service at breakfast was not great. Staff not observant to notice only 1 table setting for 2 diners. Food was good though. Close proximity to xintiandi across the road.

Room Tip: Choose the XL kingsize rooms. Lots of space and not too far from elevators.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2012

First time here and I loved it! Great central location next to Xin Tian Di and subway. Can walk to plenty of shopping and food places. The service was top notch (thank you for finding and mailing me back my earphones, really appreciate it). The pool/gym/spa were lovely, food at the restaurant was excellent, and really appreciated the size of the room and bathroom. Best touch was the complimentary wifi. I don't like to support top hotels that charge for wifi as I think it is a basic right of any global traveler in this day and age. I whole heartedly recommend this hotel, I will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for view of Xin Tian Di
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DanielHoonOu
Reviewed October 28, 2012

One of the best hotel that I have stay. Located right next to Xintiandi and very easy to get around. Service at Front Desk and Housekeeping was good, but the service for breakfast seem a bit slow and not attentive. Room size is reasonable, but the room set-up and amenities is great. The only issue that we had encountered was the hand basin water drained seem a bit slow. Wifi, minibar (non-alcoholic drink) and the so call "Lounge" located right next to the Front Desk is free. Breakfast is served in 2 areas - Western and Chinese section, but the food varieties is average but sufficient. Definitely not value for money if you have to pay for it.

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2012

There is no doubt that the location is excellent - right near Xiantiandi. Service is quite good and responsive..... but thr rooms are another story! No carpets, very light on amenities and generally a cold, stark feeling. The worst thing is the design of the buttons for lights and the curtains. Try picking the right button even in daylight without squinting to find the labels and you deserve a medal! I'd come back again mostly because of the location.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business